CC really coming on

Clark was guarding Mabrey on that possession. She overhelped on a drive, which seems to be a team-wide issue.

Regardless, she was at least 10 feet away when Mabrey received the pass for the Winning shot, no matter
who/whom was not guarding her

Team seemed to be concentrating on stopping the Sun shooting in the paint and getting the rebound
if possible

Last edited:
I am okay with Dantas and Fegbenle coming off the bench, but an upgrade at 4 would help. Smith has value as a one-on-one option, but she is the 4th option in the Fever starting lineup as it is, which decreases that value. She is not a floor spacer, and she is not a facilitator, the 2 skills that would help open things for CC/KM/AB. She is not a plus defender. I think they could upgrade that position.

Hull has developed into a great 3-and-D player...would love if she was 2 inches taller and rangier. Whether they upgrade 3 and make her a super-sub, or they keep her in the starting lineup and upgrade the bench, there needs to be an overall increase in the quality of the PG+wings that play behind/alongside CC and KM.

I wonder about the defensive future of this team. Can you build a championship-level defense with CC and KM in the backcourt? Iowa was able to make their defense good enough by surrounding CC with smart, scrappy 3-and-D players (Gabbie, Kate, Syd), and playing to the advanced metrics (run people off the 3-pt line, protect the rim, give up the mid-range). KM vs. WNBA offensive talent is a downgrade compared to Gabbie vs. WCB talent. WNBA players are more skilled and knowledgeable, and they can better attack weaknesses in a defensive system. Can the Fever just work harder across the roster on team defense, or does the roster need an overhaul? Clark is an underrated individual defender, but she has never really bought into being a consistent, focused team defender...is she willing to change that, even if it comes at the cost of sacrificing some of her offense?
Mitchell is a bit of a defensive liability, but her benefit to the team offensively more than balances that out. She hustles hard enough on D, but her size hurts her at times.

Boston is solid and is high character. I do wish she was and inch or two taller, but it is what it is.

I agree about the 4 position, I think they could do better there. Smith runs hot and cold, and has a tendency to completely disappear at times. Also, with the recent social media storm surrounding her, and her (and her girlfriend's) veiled criticisms on how she is being handled, I'll be surprised if she is on the roster next season. There's some toxic stuff there that probably isn't worth the trouble.

The current bench doesn't appear to have much in terms of ceilings. That is an area that could be significantly improved.

Latest posts