Why is TCF Bank Stadium such a failure?

You know being a history buff -- I recall reading what the media was saying about UI when they built the Iowa Stadium. They called it ... 'Iowa's Idiocy'.

Maybe we should wait for more than a couple of years before declaring TCF a failure.

You recall reading media accounts from the mid-1920's?

Are you Bob Brooks' dad?

I too was at the game, with a Minny fan, but left before that happened.

Robust urban area? The twin cities area is nice, but it's not that nice. USC doesn't have any problems drawing fans and there seems to be plenty of things to do there.

Yeah, their problem is they don't cheat like USC. It takes years to develop that and do it right.

You know being a history buff -- I recall reading what the media was saying about UI when they built the Iowa Stadium. They called it ... 'Iowa's Idiocy'.

Maybe we should wait for more than a couple of years before declaring TCF a failure.

Dude...1929 vs 2010? Different world, different game, different financial landscape for NCAA sports...etc etc.

TCF Bank Stadium is not a failure. It is a very nice football stadium. Huge concourse, bathrooms, and concessions. Comfortable theater style seating throughout much of the place even in the upper deck. Way more comfortable than Kinnick's benches. Open end can be filled in to increase capacity to about 80,000.

Quite honestly a far superior stadium to Kinnick in every way. The only possible exception is TCF's field turf doesn't look as good as Kinnick's. TCF's seems to fade and blend colors. Kinnick simple has a better team playing in it.

Students at Minnesota are not citing the stadium as a reason for not going to the games. The article published this week is very clear. They're not buying tickets because of the team that plays in it.

The fault lies with Glen Mason for failing to develop relationships with Minnesota high school coaches paving the way for ND, Wisconsin, and everyone else to poach their best in state talent. All he cared about was out of state recruiting particularly in Ohio. No kids grew up wanting to play for the Gophers because they weren't getting any attention. Then Brewster came in and put a target on his back by making crazy claims of Rose Bowl right out of the gate.

Kill has a big hole to dig out of but he's starting to get some good players out of the metro area to stay home.

Yeah, it's all fun to kick a program while they're down. But Minnesota has the 'resources' to be a top 3 team in the league every year. I've been to the stadium once and it's fantastic, they just don't have the atmosphere yet. Around the stadium they do have the year numbers of their national championships showing all over. To pretend like this is some incapable program is to kid yourself. Yeah they suck lately. But when you're team is bad, everything is bad. The stadium stinks, the uniforms don't look good, the cheerleaders are ugly, our coach isn't the right guy... You've heard it before.

All I'm saying is: If Minne becomes good and 5 years from now they are a real power, TCF Bank Stadium could/would be considered one of the best stadiums in the country/Big10

Something I didn't mention in my prior post is that the athletic department does need to address the practice facilities there as they are behind other B10 schools. But their stadium is far better than most B10 schools.

If you win, they will come.

The article is pretty spot on. Couple things going on here. 1) First & foremost, if they aren't winning, Minnesota fans don't go. As mentioned above, much of this is how fickle & fair-weathered Minny fans are. So true. 2) Absolute fact that Minny fans choose to do other things & spend money elsewhere than support the local college football team. But, other large cities support their teams, so who knows. Columbus is the largest city in Ohio & they support their team. Again, Minny fans just go with the wind.

If you win, they will come.

The article is pretty spot on. Couple things going on here. 1) First & foremost, if they aren't winning, Minnesota fans don't go. As mentioned above, much of this is how fickle & fair-weathered Minny fans are. So true. 2) Absolute fact that Minny fans choose to do other things & spend money elsewhere than support the local college football team. But, other large cities support their teams, so who knows. Columbus is the largest city in Ohio & they support their team. Again, Minny fans just go with the wind.

CBUS is a bad comparison. There is no pro team there. Miami and Pitt are better examples that way, but they both use the pro-stadium. Boston College plays in a pro-town and they have had difficulty putting people into seats. Maryland has had significant problems filling seats. Vandy is a brutal drag on the SEC for football attendance.

Seriously, in today's economy it is hard to support a pro-team and a college team and unless you are some crazy diehard alum, you are going to pick the better football, which is pro ball, by far.

Thought this was pretty funny considering they were sure this stadium was going to make more people come to Gopher games. Not even a few years later they are talking of failure and making excuses:

StarTribune.com Mobile | News, weather, sports

What was suppose to bring us pride has brought us embarrassment. Gopher football just can't compete against a campus and its robust surroundings that give students options not available at a lot of other universities. Gopher football is indirectly competing against a robust urban area that offers many entertainment options.

I have season tickets and it is a beautiful stadium, 50 years of mediocrity has soured too many fans,1967 last rose bowl, gopher fans really bought into Tim Brewster and got burned, they love Jerry Kill but they know they light years from contending for a Rose Bowl, if they can manage a winning big ten season and go to a big bowl the students will come back, but it will be a while.

I too was at the game, with a Minny fan, but left before that happened.

Robust urban area? The twin cities area is nice, but it's not that nice. USC doesn't have any problems drawing fans and there seems to be plenty of things to do there.

Minneapolis is a robust urban area.

USC and Minny may have some similarities in terms of uniforms, perhaps, but my God, you couldn't have picked a more inappropriate comparison.

USC continues to be one of the most successful programs in the country, over a long period of time. I think they're preseason #1.

If USC went on a decade-long losing streak, then you could compare them. Look at UCLA (same town). They have a LOT of empty seats in the Rose Bowl on game day.

I've been to "the Bank" and I think it's a great facility. Good sight lines, and a good design.

They wouldn't be able to fill it, but TCF has the capacity to be "bowled in" and it would be a really impressive looking stadium if that were the case. Granted, it would be an impressive looking empty stadium, but impressive nonetheless.

If Minny started 5-0 and knocked off some good teams in that same year, I think folks would come back, but as other posters have noted, it would be a while.

CBUS is a bad comparison. There is no pro team there. Miami and Pitt are better examples that way, but they both use the pro-stadium. Boston College plays in a pro-town and they have had difficulty putting people into seats. Maryland has had significant problems filling seats. Vandy is a brutal drag on the SEC for football attendance.

Seriously, in today's economy it is hard to support a pro-team and a college team and unless you are some crazy diehard alum, you are going to pick the better football, which is pro ball, by far.

Good points.

My wife's brothers both played hockey for Boston College, and I had the opportunity to go to a game there when they played Miami. Matt Ryan was their QB, and they were pretty good that year. It was an important game. Yet, the atmosphere was "meh" and that small stadium wasn't quite full. Granted, it was cold as hell that day, but I agree that universities in a large metro area have a difficult time putting people in seats at $50 a pop.

Columbus ain't Boston, and tOSU is THEEE show in town. Plus, they have had stellar results. Can't compare Columbus to Minneapolis, LA, or Boston.

Minny would have to be good for a while in order to bring fans back.

Minneapolis is a robust urban area.

USC and Minny may have some similarities in terms of uniforms, perhaps, but my God, you couldn't have picked a more inappropriate comparison.

USC continues to be one of the most successful programs in the country, over a long period of time. I think they're preseason #1.

If USC went on a decade-long losing streak, then you could compare them. Look at UCLA (same town). They have a LOT of empty seats in the Rose Bowl on game day.

Believe me, I have been in the Mausoleum many times when there were huge empty spaces. In fact, when you could still smoke inside stadiums my old man used to go up to an empty section and smoke blunt laced cigarettes. Remember, after Robinson got hammered with sanctions USC sucked for a couple of decades.

I was also a Raider season ticket holder when they played there and even at reduced capacity they had a hard time not being blacked out. Now USC is the only game in town. The Rose bowl is about an hour away from campus for UCLA, so they are a bad comparison. Just no way you are ever going to be able to really make that work.

when will colleges/franchises realize that people don't come to games based on the stadium? they come because of the team. team sucks - no one comes. happens all over.

The simple fact is Minnesota fans are some of the most fair weather fans in the nation across the board. It doesn't matter what sport we are talking about. Like no other place they need to win to get people there. Yes everyplace will see a dip when you don't win. But the dip is giant there.

I do like some of the comments in the article. "We are 94% capacity", "We are close to selling out". These delusional fans forget it was the perfect storm last year. They had North Dakota State(Huge Alumni base in the TC's),Nebraska,Wisconsin and Iowa at TCF stadium last year. If you talk to Minnesota fans that look at their attendance issues realistically they think it will not be pretty this year.

You recall reading media accounts from the mid-1920's?

Are you Bob Brooks' dad?

As usual ... you did not read the entire posting. Reread the first sentence.

There are these institutions called libraries ... which contain old documents which (if you can read) are useful for getting information and sometimes if you are lucky a tenor of the times. Iowa's Idiocy was a pretty well accepted thought at the time.

As far as these being diferent times ... yeah ... what does the NCAA have to do with putting people in the stands of a footbal stadium?

This economic period is more like the era of post 1929 than you think. There is a reason they are calling now 'The Great Recession'.