Why is everyone so scared of little red?

Don't be so cocky. They've won no less than 9 games per year for many years. Anyone who doesn't understand that Nebraska has the talent to slap every team they've lost to this season once they get their heads in the games can't be taken seriously.

They've won a couple in a row now... one a very big win... their confidence is building. We should definitely defeat them but it's far from a lock... realistically speaking.

Muhammed Ali and Rhonda Rousy both lost while appearing to be invincible... and we ain't them.

Look no further than Michigan vs Appalachian State to get a dose of what can happen in the real world.

So did Rocky Balboa

We're conditioned to fear. We're Iowa fans.

You guys act like we're ISU or something. We have close to 35 years of winning record football here. Going to guess nearly 30 years of bowl games. Iowa has been, minus the past five seasons, one of the top 20 programs nationally for two decades of that period.

Nebraska has a great program. Don't get me wrong. But Iowa's record against them is pretty close to even in my lifetime. This isn't the 60's and 70's anymore. We don't have twenty straight losses to Purdue. It took so much effort for Fry to teach the university and the fans and the players how to win. Don't lose that winning culture now that we're having success.

I expect a win in Lincoln. I don't think it will be easy, but Iowa has faced much better teams in much tougher environments than that brick and mortar monstrosity Nebraska calls a stadium. Iowa wins by ten points. Book it.

^Even record in your lifetime? What are you on about? Iowa won in '81 and '13. Fans can talk, but Iowa's record/performance in the series is not good.

They are terrible, they lost to freaking Purdue. We will put up as many points as we want to against them. All they have is the occasional lucky bomb play from their glorified RB of QB. No consistency or ability to beat us with sustained execution.

I wish we had the confidence a 10-0 and soon to be 11-0 team should against a 5-6 team.

Who is saying the players don't have the confidence of an undefeated team. They clearly do. I think you meant you wish we had the confidence of a fan base of a team that is 10-0? Our confidence has nothing to do with what is going on inside the locker room so I don't think anyone has to worry about the players being confident. As fans, we can get nervous about a rivalry game on the road. The players will be fine. They know what is on the line. Go Hawks!

^Even record in your lifetime? What are you on about? Iowa won in '81 and '13. Fans can talk, but Iowa's record/performance in the series is not good.

2 - 5 since 81. I totally forgot they even played during the really bad first Ferentz years and once in the fading Fry years (though, really, that first Ferentz year was so bad nobody really watched the games), thought it was 2 - 3. Wishful thinking, I guess.

Last year probably should have made it 3 - 5, but whatever, lost a very close one in a bad year.

This year will make it 3 - 5, in all likelihood, putting it close to a .385 record in the series since I've been alive. With Nebraska's pedigree, you would expect it to be much worse (on the order of Ohio State bad). I wouldn't call a 3 game lead in the series dominance, yet, and 2 - 2 since entering the Big Ten would certainly be even.

The teams really haven't played each other enough since I've been alive to see how things will shake out long-term playing each other year after year, but I'd guess they'll be around .450 from the B10 joining onward. Nebraska isn't quite as good as they were in the past, and Iowa isn't as bad as they were in the old days, either.I definitely don't forsee OSU - Iowa / Mich - Iowa / Iowa - NW dominance coming in the future., though.

Nebraska has a run first QB. They run crossing routes to death. Two things Iowa has struggled against in recent history. Iowa does have the revenge factor. Nebraska likely will be bowling regardless. Even at 5-7. Living in Nebraska, last year was awful. This year, I haven't seen a fan base so arrogant despite their record. PLEASE WIN!

^They've gone from wanting Riley gone, to nobody coming to this last game, and now to the fans and media pretty much assured of beating hated Iowa. Got their confidence back after MSU got jobbed, and will probably be the healthiest they've been all year for this game.

Last edited:
2 - 5 since 81. I totally forgot they even played during the really bad first Ferentz years and once in the fading Fry years (though, really, that first Ferentz year was so bad nobody really watched the games), thought it was 2 - 3. Wishful thinking, I guess.

Last year probably should have made it 3 - 5, but whatever, lost a very close one in a bad year.

This year will make it 3 - 5, in all likelihood, putting it close to a .385 record in the series since I've been alive. With Nebraska's pedigree, you would expect it to be much worse (on the order of Ohio State bad). I wouldn't call a 3 game lead in the series dominance, yet, and 2 - 2 since entering the Big Ten would certainly be even.

The teams really haven't played each other enough since I've been alive to see how things will shake out long-term playing each other year after year, but I'd guess they'll be around .450 from the B10 joining onward. Nebraska isn't quite as good as they were in the past, and Iowa isn't as bad as they were in the old days, either.I definitely don't forsee OSU - Iowa / Mich - Iowa / Iowa - NW dominance coming in the future., though.
3 games with Hayden and 6 so far with Kirk if I remember correctly. 2-7. 1-3 recently and the one win came against a stiff senior backup QB.

3 games with Hayden and 6 so far with Kirk if I remember correctly. 2-7. 1-3 recently and the one win came against a stiff senior backup QB.

Yep, missed another one. 2-6 since the year I was born. Still, hasn't been on the level of domination of OSU. You pretty much have to win 9 of ten to get to that level.

They are terrible, they lost to freaking Purdue. We will put up as many points as we want to against them. All they have is the occasional lucky bomb play from their glorified RB of QB. No consistency or ability to beat us with sustained execution.

I wish we had the confidence a 10-0 and soon to be 11-0 team should against a 5-6 team.

And they didn't have their starting QB playing and the guy who started turned it over like 4 times inside their own 25 yard line. How well you think we might have done if Beathard went down?

And they didn't have their starting QB playing and the guy who started turned it over like 4 times inside their own 25 yard line. How well you think we might have done if Beathard went down?

We don't need CJ to beat Purdue....we could be without him the entire game and we beat Purdue.

5 turnovers. 28 of the 55 were basically on the offense, 2 of the turnovers were essentially returned for touchdowns, the other 3 gave Purdue the ball either in nebby territory or close to the 50.

Turnovers and where/when turnovers occur determine a ton.

If we win turnover battle and limit the big pass play, I like our chances.

Even with those accounted for, nebraska allowed 27 points from purdue and 457 yards of total offense, 183 rushing from the WORST rushing team in the big ten, and among the worst in the nation. Those yardage totals are even more impressive when you consider the 3 short fields purdue worked with off turnovers. And nebraska still allowed purdue to have 4.95 yards per carry when their average all season has been 3.8.

In BIG games only:
Nebby has allowed an average of 131 rushing yards per game & 263 passing yards per game. The outliers are 65 rushing yards allowed to Minny & 348 passing yards vs Sparty.
They average 156 rushing yards per game & 243 passing yards per game themselves. The outliers being 77 rushing yards gained vs Purdue & 407 passing yards vs Purdue.
They have played 7 games,

Iowa has allowed an average of 101 rushing yards per game & 179 passing yards per game. The outliers are 46 rushing yards allowed to Illinois & 317 passing yards vs Illinois.
Iowa averages 222 rushing yards per game & 188 passing yards per game. The outliers being 110 rushing yards gained vs Maryland & 234 passing yards vs Minnesota.
Iowa has played 6 games.

For outliers I listed each teams lowest rushing yardage # and each teams highest passing yardage #.

Nebby wants to run the ball just as much as they want to throw it, especially in conference games. They know time of possession is critical, and will be even more so against Iowa.

When you look at what each team does, and then what their opponents allow, Nebby really has to worry about Iowa's run game going off. If you are Iowa, you focus on the run as you can see the biggest "opportunity" to break from the trend/numbers, is Iowa's passing game going for more than their 188 yard per game average being Nebby allows 263 passing yards per game in BIG play.

You can argue that Nebby is getting healthier, but so is Iowa. I also might add that Iowa's low point in the passing game was not having Tevaun vs Wisky, as well as dealing with the wind that day.

If Iowa can get out of the gates early, maybe even with a few 20-30+ yard passes in their 1st few drives, this game will fall at the feet of the Iowa defense, which I think Phil can then experiment with different coverages such as nickel and dime.

It would be really nice to get Hawkeye Gamefilms breakdown as to what he sees each team trying to do/take away.

We don't need CJ to beat Purdue....we could be without him the entire game and we beat Purdue.

Uh huh. One dimensional team at that point. Load the box, blitz, make new guy beat you with his arm because Wiegers is not a runner like CJ.

I agree. And I wonder if it wouldn't be smart to limit how much CJ plays vs Purdue. Maybe have him play the first quarter with a lot of run plays, and if we get up by 2 scores, CJ comes out. Having CJ at his best for Nebraska is much more important, on paper.

Uh huh. One dimensional team at that point. Load the box, blitz, make new guy beat you with his arm because Wiegers is not a runner like CJ.

So, basically what Minnesota was doing when Daniels housed them at the end of the Minny game. We would beat Purdue with Boyle or Cook, or Jake Christenson at QB.

So, basically what Minnesota was doing when Daniels housed them at the end of the Minny game. We would beat Purdue with Boyle or Cook, or Jake Christenson at QB.

And Nebraska put as bad or worse of a beat down on Minnesota up there. Not sure what your argument is. I think we best save the talking until after the Nebraska game lest we sound like Husker fans on their forums.

Even with those accounted for, nebraska allowed 27 points from purdue and 457 yards of total offense, 183 rushing from the WORST rushing team in the big ten, and among the worst in the nation. Those yardage totals are even more impressive when you consider the 3 short fields purdue worked with off turnovers. And nebraska still allowed purdue to have 4.95 yards per carry when their average all season has been 3.8.
Their defense appeared completely unmotivated that day. Don't think Iowa can count on that next week. Looking more and more like the weather could be bad that day, though.

Armstrong doesn't play defense, so their D still let Purdue (the worst rushing team in the B10) to score 55. 55. That's like 8 touchdowns. Two per quarter. A touchdown per 7.5 minutes of game clock. To a team that lost to Marshall and Bowling Green. That's basically 2.5 touchdowns more than Purdue could muster against Indiana State. No, I don't think your argument about Armstrong is relevant to the spanking their defense took.

Their D gave up some points but I think Nebby had at least 4 turnovers. I didn't see the game but guessing their D might have been put on a short field or 2.

Latest posts