Why Iowa Fans Shouldn't Care about a CFB Playoff.....

A 16 team bracket of the best college football teams would be the greatest sporting event of the year. It would trump everything. The office pools would be insane. I would watch every game.

It would nearly make any team left out of the top 16 irrelevant. Who wants to watch two teams play a meaningless bowl game when there's 15 total games featuring better teams that do matter. Plus as it goes on, the matchups get better and the games become exponentially more meaningful.

It's like the sweet 16 and the final four in basketball, only much better.

Not saying the SEC dominance wouldn't continue, but at least they'd have to earn it instead of just having to win the BCS title game. In fact who ever wins would have to earn it. And that would be awesome.

Tell me how you would get presidents, ADs, and bowl executives to go back to the old system, then. Or tell me how you would pitch this plus-one system and get fans and TV networks to buy into something that looks like a playoff, smells like a playoff, but isn't a playoff... because we have to protect the Rose Bowl? Tell me how your plan is better for everyone than a plan that opens the door to four teams, chosen by a committee that is not working for a particular bowl, and uses bowl game as sites for a national semifinal.
I'm not saying that going back to the old system would or could ever happen, only that it would be far better than any awful playoff system.

Wow...who cares. Iowa is maybe making the natl championship game once every 50+ years or so no matter what the system is. So from Iowa's perspective who cares? This really has no impact on us

4 team playoff is more entertaining than the old or current system so sign me up

I'm not saying that going back to the old system would or could ever happen, only that it would be far better than any awful playoff system.

Just keeping track:

1. You're not arguing that things should stay the same.
2. You acknowledge that we'll never go back to the old system.
3. You say that playoffs suck.

So what is your plan that is better than a four-team playoff hosted at bowl sites?

Just keeping track:

1. You're not arguing that things should stay the same.
2. You acknowledge that we'll never go back to the old system.
3. You say that playoffs suck.

So what is your plan that is better than a four-team playoff hosted at bowl sites?

Going back to the old system.

I don't think you will ever see an eight or sixteen team playoff.

If Iowa makes the final 4, great.

If Iowa does not make the final 4 (most years), the bowls will most definitely matter.

If Iowa does not make the final 4 (most years), the bowls will most definitely matter.
Why would a particular bowl matter any more if the playoffs went from a 4-team format to an 8-team format....or even a 16-team format?

The writing on the wall.... THE ERA OF BOWLS IS DEAD.... playoffs are coming.

And while tradition is nice, lets not turn CFB into a version of Notre Dame where tradition is all they have...since they no longer matter.

I'm perfectly happy with the 4-team setup, for the following reasons:

1. A 4-team playoff will not change the fact that there will still be plenty of bowl games to go around, just like today. And those games will not matter any more or less than they have in recent years. I mean really, there is basically only ONE game that actually "matters", and that's the BCS national title game. The fans will still be jacked up for their bowl games, even if it's the idon'tgivearip.com bowl.

2. 4 teams in the playoffs will give all teams who are legit contenders a chance to win it all ON THE FIELD. Teams like 2004 Auburn will have a chance under the new system.

3. You still need to have a great regular season to make the 4-team playoff. So those saying that a playoff will take the meaning out of the regular season don't have an argument IMO.

So the way I see it, it's kind of the best of both worlds for everyone. Sure, team #5 will whine about being snubbed, but what can you do? You still get this with the NCAA Tournament, which has 68 teams. If it was 300 teams, team #301 would complain. It comes with the territory.

I'm sick of being fleeced by a second/third tier bowls in Arizona, Texas or Florida just for the opportunity to have bragging rights that no one cares about.

Football, like all sports, is about winning championships....not bowls. It should be about making the playoffs, with a chance to win it all. Not some crappy bowl trophy that will long be forgotten by the time the next season rolls around.

16 team playoffs baby.... that's the way it should... hell, with the way FBS keeps adding schools, 32 will make sense before long.

:cool:

I'm concerned that the entire sport is/will be diminished.

The second most popular sport in America?
That one?
lol

I get it, you're worried about the B1G. So am I.
I've just come to the realization that they're never going to catch up athletically to the SEC.
So much working against them.

Lets just go to a 64 team playoff that starts in late october. You play 6 regular season games, then the playoffs start for the top 64. The others go home.
Once you are beat, then you go home. Iowa will get maybe 7 games a year,but hey,we will finally crown a ''true champion''...which is the only thing about college football that really matters. The rest of it is sentimental tripe. We need to narrow it to a final 8 teams with 6 SEC and Texas and OK every year,so we can finally enjoy real semi-pro football. The heck with the rest of Div 1. They go to class...what are they doing playing football,anyway?

Lets just go to a 64 team playoff that starts in late october. You play 6 regular season games, then the playoffs start for the top 64. The others go home.
Once you are beat, then you go home. Iowa will get maybe 7 games a year,but hey,we will finally crown a ''true champion''...which is the only thing about college football that really matters. The rest of it is sentimental tripe. We need to narrow it to a final 8 teams with 6 SEC and Texas and OK every year,so we can finally enjoy real semi-pro football. The heck with the rest of Div 1. They go to class...what are they doing playing football,anyway?

Oh, hey Hyperbole! How ya been? How are the kids?

Why would a particular bowl matter any more if the playoffs went from a 4-team format to an 8-team format....or even a 16-team format?

The writing on the wall.... THE ERA OF BOWLS IS DEAD.... playoffs are coming.

And while tradition is nice, lets not turn CFB into a version of Notre Dame where tradition is all they have...since they no longer matter.
Yeah, Notre Dame doesn't matter. Their AD is on the final committee and they have their own NBC TV contract and a world wide alumni base, but they don't matter.

WTF?

You aren't going to see an 8 team or 16 team playoff. NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

The bowls will still be important to all but 4 teams at the end of the season, just like the Orange Bowl was important to Iowa in 2009 when we lost to OSU and NW and missed out on a possible national championship game.

One final point - have you ever been to a bowl game? I'm guessing you haven't. Hey dude, they are a lot of fun!! Try it!!! It's not just about playoffs and games on TV. The bowl venues are an event!! Go to a bowl game!!!

Oh, hey Hyperbole! How ya been? How are the kids?

No way... 9 games, 32-team bracket :cool:

You should see this other bracket we got going. We going the high school basketball route and letting all 119 teams be in the tournament.

After all we would not want to disrespect that 65th team that got left out. I am sure that team would be better than most of the 12th seeds. :D

You can always switch up the conferences and bowls with your NCAA football game...Pick the console of your choice and tweak it to your liking. Report back with your winning formula

Latest posts