Why does McCabe get such BS calls?

Agree with others. The block-charge is 50-50 at best, so you can't be too upset when it doesn't go your way. When he jumps in front of a guy at half court and almost knocks him over, he needs to walk away and accept the call. I don't know if he thinks it is a bad call, or he gets frustrated. We aren't missing much when he fouls out, so I see it as taking 5 fouls to save White and or Basabe.

He's scrappy, a real floor bastard and I love the kids attitude. Some of you need to slow your roll. Last I checked you've prolly not taken a charge from a 220 lb. athlete in your cubicle lateley.

This kid kicks ***.

He's scrappy, a real floor bastard and I love the kids attitude. Some of you need to slow your roll. Last I checked you've prolly not taken a charge from a 220 lb. athlete in your cubicle lateley.

This kid kicks ***.

Gatens has had a couple of great games in a row so the usual suspects had to turn their focus to someone who's going to be around a couple more years...

This kid kicks ***.
There is nothing said in this thread that isn't true. Yes, he's had some decent games and is "scrappy". He's the perfect guy to take a charge,slow,can't move his feet,and falls down a lot.

I'll give him credit this year.He's so limited athletically, he's figured out that to get anything done he has to push,grab,and elbow. Unfortunatly those are called fouls.

McCabe deserve his minutes and starting position as much as anyone outside of Gatens and White

There is nothing said in this thread that isn't true. Yes, he's had some decent games and is "scrappy". He's the perfect guy to take a charge,slow,can't move his feet,and falls down a lot.

I'll give him credit this year.He's so limited athletically, he's figured out that to get anything done he has to push,grab,and elbow. Unfortunatly those are called fouls.

Cheer up end-world'er your half empty glass needs a bit of rainbow, here is!

Hand-Glass-Rainbow-Success.jpg

remember he is actually only in his second year of playing downlow. he was a guard in hs and a tweener last year. he is learning the skill of the post and it is much harder than some realize. i think he will do a lot better next year. but i agree with most if we had more and he was coming off the bench it would be beneficial to him.

If my memory serves me right and i believe it does i think he was not a Guard in HS. he was the biggest one on Heelans roster if i remember they won state his senior year and i remember him being underneath.

Zach has to play smarter. He needs to try a little easier at times and be at the right place before its the wrong time. He has a great deal of ability and can really help this program, but not until he can be counted upon to stay on the floor.

This kid kicks ***.

I don't think a word of criticism against him in this thread has been unfair.

This kid kicks ***.

Nothing said in this thread isn't true. Facts are facts. In the last three games McCabe has one field goal & fourteen fouls. That sure is kickin' some butt. To bad it is in a negative way.

Zach has to play smarter. He needs to try a little easier at times and be at the right place before its the wrong time. He has a great deal of ability and can really help this program, but not until he can be counted upon to stay on the floor.

This discussion around McCabe is sounding a lot like Brommer II. Glimpses of hope followed by stretches of head scratching fouls and defensive lapses. Outside of a few favorable matchups each season, I just don't see his post game translating to the big ten. Take that away and he has to score on the perimeter (not consistent to date) or take guys off the dribble (risky proposition of late).

He is a gamer and gives max effort down low, but without hops or a few more inches, his presence is easily neutralized. Maybe he needs to go the Gatens route and shed 15 pounds to gain a half step with Woodbury and Meyer on the way and try the 3? He really is not well suited for up tempo hoops and that may be his downfall with respect to PT next season.

I mean when he gets called for this ticky tack fouls he doesn't turn to the officials and complain. Unlike Sheehy where every time he got called tonight he complained.

Even my wife who is not the most knowledgable basketball mind was like, "Why is that guy complaining? He clearly fouled the Iowa guy."

I was just laughing because Sheehy was all over Marble to the point that he could have fouled out in 3 minutes if the refs had wanted to blow the whistle. Sorry, Sheehy, but you can't hold a guy's arm and hip check him, and not get called for the foul.

Even my wife who is not the most knowledgable basketball mind was like, "Why is that guy complaining? He clearly fouled the Iowa guy."

I was just laughing because Sheehy was all over Marble to the point that he could have fouled out in 3 minutes if the refs had wanted to blow the whistle. Sorry, Sheehy, but you can't hold a guy's arm and hip check him, and not get called for the foul.

Clearly IU was playing more aggressive defensively the last 8 minutes of the game and with the crowd clammoring for a foul, it was bound to get called, yet Sheehy didn't adjust and still complained each time. I thought it was comical.

I still disagree with those that thinks Zach complains to the officials. Rarely have I seen him go after an official and complain. He might pout some, but he's not doing it right in front of the official. I still think he gets hosed on a lot of these calls, but will start paying attention to what others are saying here and see if I change my mind over the next few games.

remember he is actually only in his second year of playing downlow. he was a guard in hs and a tweener last year. he is learning the skill of the post and it is much harder than some realize. i think he will do a lot better next year. but i agree with most if we had more and he was coming off the bench it would be beneficial to him.
If my memory serves me right and i believe it does i think he was not a Guard in HS. he was the biggest one on Heelans roster if i remember they won state his senior year and i remember him being underneath.

he was one of the bigger players but was basically a point forward like royce white (kind of) except he spent the majority of his time out by the arc. he did go downlow some but he brought the ball up and did a lot of guard play. he tried to play the 3 some last yr but was not quick enough and struggled getting his shot off and was converted to being just a post.

I love the way the kid plays. Is he a legit C? Hell no. He will be added to the mix next year with White, Basabe, McCabe, Marble manning the wing positions. He has a nice shot (not great) from distance. He's not a starter but will log minutes and bang the **** out of the opponents. As long as his fouls are hard then I'm all for him racking up 5 fouls a game.

Latest posts