Why does McCabe get such BS calls?

This discussion around McCabe is sounding a lot like Brommer II. Glimpses of hope followed by stretches of head scratching fouls and defensive lapses. Outside of a few favorable matchups each season, I just don't see his post game translating to the big ten. Take that away and he has to score on the perimeter (not consistent to date) or take guys off the dribble (risky proposition of late).

He is a gamer and gives max effort down low, but without hops or a few more inches, his presence is easily neutralized. Maybe he needs to go the Gatens route and shed 15 pounds to gain a half step with Woodbury and Meyer on the way and try the 3? He really is not well suited for up tempo hoops and that may be his downfall with respect to PT next season.

McCabe is far more talented than Brommer. McCabe can take four's off the dribble and get around them to the rack. He is strong at the rim. He can hit the three. He can be a real, real good player once he learns how to be in the right spot before he has to be there out of desperation. And he should never, ever get called for a foul 17 feet from the rim

It seems with this team not all the core gus show up all the time. When they're off they look like they have never seen the court before. It just happen to McCabe last night and the past couple. This is why we can't conect the wins. I think McCabe has improved over last year but still has along way to go.

It seems with this team not all the core gus show up all the time. When they're off they look like they have never seen the court before. It just happen to McCabe last night and the past couple. This is why we can't conect the wins. I think McCabe has improved over last year but still has along way to go.

I agree, he didn't look ready to play from the start. Lost his guy a couple times on D early which led to a couple easy baskets and then came the fouls. Contrast that with Basabe who was all over the place the minute he stepped on the floor. Zach will be fine but he and Basabe need to know they need to bring it every night because they just aren't good enough not to.

Comparing McCabe to Brommer is a joke. McCabe has offensive skills and can hit the three. McCabe competes hard on the glass and defensive end against much bigger players. He would be one of the last problems on this team. I am one that thinks he gets the short end of the stick on calls.

McCabe has the same issues Brommer does. Slow of foot, no hops and playing a level over his abilities. Is he capable of having a few nice decent games? Sure, we have seen a couple this season, but the body of work is far more representative of what we have seen the past 5-6 games. More fouls than points and incapable of staying on the floor because teams go right at him and he picks up quick fouls.

If he's not capable of hitting mid range jumpers, his only offense is rebounding, as his spin dribble move is a charge or travel waiting to happen.

I don't think he has been called for many charges or travels all year.

His main problem, other than lack of size and athleticism is that he is playing the 5 spot, he just way to short for that. I like the fact that he actually attempts to get in the way of people going to the hoop though rather than just letting them go by like we've seen other do to often.

Ideally McCabe will be a role player in the future. A perimeter 4 on offense who will play around 15 mins a game most nights.

He has a good jumper, having a true post in Woodbury who will demand doubles and then be able to pass out of them could end up leaving Zach with allot of open jump shots.

Iowa in general needs to learn how to work the ball around the perimeter much quick and everyone will get better shots.

I don't think he has been called for many charges or travels all year.

His main problem, other than lack of size and athleticism is that he is playing the 5 spot, he just way to short for that. I like the fact that he actually attempts to get in the way of people going to the hoop though rather than just letting them go by like we've seen other do to often.

Ideally McCabe will be a role player in the future. A perimeter 4 on offense who will play around 15 mins a game most nights.

He has a good jumper, having a true post in Woodbury who will demand doubles and then be able to pass out of them could end up leaving Zach with allot of open jump shots.

Iowa in general needs to learn how to work the ball around the perimeter much quick and everyone will get better shots.

I would love to see White and McCabe become more consistent 3 point shooters next year when they are open. They can both hit them but would like to see them get better at that part of their game. Having a big that can pass like Woody and a good point guard would open up the 3's a lot more and we need more than just Josh and possibly Gesell hitting them.

I'm pretty sure nobody mentioned this yet, but McCabe getting in early foul trouble last night was the reason Basabe saw the floor sooner. He came in and was aggressive. He set the tone for the Hawks in that game. You could see everybody feeding off of his energy. So Zach.... I'm sure Melsahn thanks you for the opportunity.

Clearly IU was playing more aggressive defensively the last 8 minutes of the game and with the crowd clammoring for a foul, it was bound to get called, yet Sheehy didn't adjust and still complained each time. I thought it was comical.

I still disagree with those that thinks Zach complains to the officials. Rarely have I seen him go after an official and complain. He might pout some, but he's not doing it right in front of the official. I still think he gets hosed on a lot of these calls, but will start paying attention to what others are saying here and see if I change my mind over the next few games.

Didn't he get a few T's last season for barking at the officials?

McCabe is far more talented than Brommer. McCabe can take four's off the dribble and get around them to the rack. He is strong at the rim. He can hit the three. He can be a real, real good player once he learns how to be in the right spot before he has to be there out of desperation. And he should never, ever get called for a foul 17 feet from the rim

You see McCabe taking a lot of 4's off the dribble in the Big Ten?

I'm pretty sure nobody mentioned this yet, but McCabe getting in early foul trouble last night was the reason Basabe saw the floor sooner. He came in and was aggressive. He set the tone for the Hawks in that game. You could see everybody feeding off of his energy. So Zach.... I'm sure Melsahn thanks you for the opportunity.

And O's foul troubles as well.

EDIT: should we discuss Olaseni's foul foul problems?

Last edited:
1. Commits a lot of dumb fouls near half court.
2. Not a great defender right now - looks a little clumsy and doesn't move his feet.

Frankly, he should be coming off the bench IMO - but he is a good player and is going to get bette next year! A real tough kid and a great Hawk.

This. What I've noticed is that many times Zach appears to be deliberately fouling an opponent rather than playing tough defense. There can be a very fine line between those two, and Zach too often finds himself on the wrong side of it. If I can spot it while watching the game on TV, it must be 10 times easier for the refs to see from a few feet away.

If he can make the contact appear to come as a result of playing tough, smart defense, he's not going to get called for as many fouls.

I'll be very surprised if McCabe is getting big minutes next season. I must have blacked out when he was slashing by guys this year.

McCabe isnt a 4 star recruit but has been invaluable to the Hawkeyes these past 2 years, He is a tough, competitive kid who will figure out a way to help the team his junior and senior year. Amazing how fickle Hawk fans are, one week players are superstars and after a couple off games we should dump them. I enjoy watching him fight out there, cut him some slack.

I am bringing this thread back up because McCabe got absolutely hosed by the officials today. In particular his 3rd foul at the start of the 2nd half where he got jumped on top of yet got called for the foul and his 5th foul when he got called for the phantom "trip". I don't know what McCabe does to **** refs off, but it seems he does.

I feel bad for this guy. He gets called for fouls nobody else on the floor gets called for. I have rewatched a lot of these supposed fouls and I don't know what he is supposed to do differently on probably 50% of the calls he gets whistled for.

Do the officials have it out for him? Is it an unlucky and perpetual coincidence? Or am I blind and he is really hacking guys all the time?

He is out of position part of the time and just doesn't think the rest. Lucky he isn't called more.

I am bringing this thread back up because McCabe got absolutely hosed by the officials today. In particular his 3rd foul at the start of the 2nd half where he got jumped on top of yet got called for the foul and his 5th foul when he got called for the phantom "trip". I don't know what McCabe does to **** refs off, but it seems he does.
His 5th foul was bad but he earned his other ones. It's not a coincidence that McCabe averages a foul every 6 minutes of playing time. He's slow,doesn't move his feet and is generally a poor defender. Him getting bad calls is a myth.

Well there was two terrible calls against him today, thats not a myth, but there was allot of weird calls/no calls in this game.

Latest posts