Why can't our BB team

coralville

Hit the broad side of a barn? How can a shooting slump effect everyone and last this long? Very disappointing

Because none of the players currently playing for the University of Iowa mens basketball team are good at shooting.

Pretty simple

Truly, only Marble and JO are in slumps. The problem is that Marble shoots a lot more than the rest of the team. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Someone has to and he is the only one that can consistently create his own shot. So when Marble is on, like he has shown he can be, the team performs that much better.

It is shot selection, Iowa doesn't take enough mid-range shots, or do enough dribble penetration to try and get to the rim, not necessarily by the guy dribbling, but dishing it off.

Iowa has some good mid-range shooters, but they often pass up those shots, not sure why.

Shoot... practice some more. Keep shooting good shots.... and rebound your aaaassss off when you miss a shot.

Go home to night and get up tomorrow and shoot some more... 3 pointers, free throws, mid range jumpers...

Keep up your defense and your rebounding... intensity...

Ipwa wins... again... and again Iowa wins...

IOWA is BACK

It is shot selection, Iowa doesn't take enough mid-range shots, or do enough dribble penetration to try and get to the rim, not necessarily by the guy dribbling, but dishing it off.

Iowa has some good mid-range shooters, but they often pass up those shots, not sure why.

I think they attack the rim plenty. The problem is when they do they try to get fouled more then they try to make the shot.

I'm not worried. This team has the ability, they need to find consistency. Now that the defensive side is going much better, they will be focused on the offensive side a bit more. We have a great opportunity to start hitting our shots against PSU.

Midrange shots are the worst effective fg% shots in the game.

It's frustrating, given how close most of the losses have been. A few more free throws would have helped a lot, too.

Midrange shots are the worst effective fg% shots in the game.

Which would mean something if this team didn't suck balls at shooting 3's, but shot mid-range shots pretty effectively.

45% from midrange on 100 shots is the same as 30% from behind the arc on 100 threes. But you get fewer empty possessions, not to mention that misses on long balls have a greater tendency to give the other team easy transition opportunities.

In other words, if you suck at hitting the long ball, taking a bunch of shots from behind the arc is a good way to dig yourself a deep hole. Kind of like this team has been doing lately.

In the last game I watched, we took many mid-range shots and also got a lot of dunks and shots in the paint. I don't remember seeing them pass up close shots in favor of the 3.

Iowa can't make wide-open 3's, either. That is not about "poor shot selection", just an inability to make the shot in the first place.

Iowa can't make wide-open 3's, either. That is not about "poor shot selection", just an inability to make the shot in the first place.

Okay, let me expand on my point a little bit more here.

Just because they have a wide open shot, it doesn't also mean it is a good shot.

Good shot selection is predicated by three things:

1. Transition - Being able to run a fast break effectively, as we have seen over and over again, Iowa struggles with this by not centering the ball, or trying to make long passes in tight spaces. Clemmons is the only Iowa player that has shown an ability to run the fast break correctly on a consistent basis.

2. Dribble penetration - When I watch some teams not named Iowa who don't have players that can effectively take their man off the dribble, they set screens and a lot of them to try and get a guard going to the basket. On top of that, even if the guard isn't going to outright beat his man off they still continue to penetrate, but look to draw the defense and kick it out for a good shot.

3. Ball movement - Effective ball movement gets not just good shot, but wide open close range, great shots. Here is another thing on ball movement, what does this team do off the first "decent" look they get, chuck it. Often times, when Iowa takes that "decent" look, it is early and leads to a run out because Iowa is not in any kind of position to try and effectively rebound. Iowa settles for the first open look, rather than trying to get a better one, they rush the offense and don't run it. Often times making the extra pass to the second or third guy results in someone being in perfect position to catch the ball and shoot in one fluid motion. When I see Iowa shoot off the first pass and big guys still 10 ft. from the basket, it makes me think they don't understand how to play team basketball on the offensive end.

Someone mentioned Iowa getting to rim and getting dunks, how many of those dunks were pure assists? Probably not too many, Iowa's big guys get putbacks, not passes.

Iowa getting to rim and converting is one thing, they don't do that well, either they are afraid of contact, or have no concept how to try and take contact and still have the mental capacity to focus and score. There is nothing wrong with going toward the basket, drawing the defense and giving the ball up for an easy bucket, but as I said before, Clemmons is really the only player that is a pass first guy when going to the hoop. If Marble and White were, or if either of those players would take the easy pull-up and stay out of charge territory, it would be just as effective as a lay-up. The detail and recognition of what is right in front of you is what is missing on dribble penetration.

The mid-range game gets so overlooked when people are constantly infatuated with the 3-pt ball today, I think every player on Iowa, but probably Woodbury/Olaseni believes they can make them on a regular basis. Problem is, they aren't, but we all know that.

Poor shot selection will haunt this team until they understand not to stand and dribble instead of all the players getting into motion, I believe Iowa runs a "motion" offense, but it doesn't look like it very often.

Okay, let me expand on my point a little bit more here.

Just because they have a wide open shot, it doesn't also mean it is a good shot.

Good shot selection is predicated by three things:

1. Transition - Being able to run a fast break effectively, as we have seen over and over again, Iowa struggles with this by not centering the ball, or trying to make long passes in tight spaces. Clemmons is the only Iowa player that has shown an ability to run the fast break correctly on a consistent basis.

2. Dribble penetration - When I watch some teams not named Iowa who don't have players that can effectively take their man off the dribble, they set screens and a lot of them to try and get a guard going to the basket. On top of that, even if the guard isn't going to outright beat his man off they still continue to penetrate, but look to draw the defense and kick it out for a good shot.

3. Ball movement - Effective ball movement gets not just good shot, but wide open close range, great shots. Here is another thing on ball movement, what does this team do off the first "decent" look they get, chuck it. Often times, when Iowa takes that "decent" look, it is early and leads to a run out because Iowa is not in any kind of position to try and effectively rebound. Iowa settles for the first open look, rather than trying to get a better one, they rush the offense and don't run it. Often times making the extra pass to the second or third guy results in someone being in perfect position to catch the ball and shoot in one fluid motion. When I see Iowa shoot off the first pass and big guys still 10 ft. from the basket, it makes me think they don't understand how to play team basketball on the offensive end.

Someone mentioned Iowa getting to rim and getting dunks, how many of those dunks were pure assists? Probably not too many, Iowa's big guys get putbacks, not passes.

Iowa getting to rim and converting is one thing, they don't do that well, either they are afraid of contact, or have no concept how to try and take contact and still have the mental capacity to focus and score. There is nothing wrong with going toward the basket, drawing the defense and giving the ball up for an easy bucket, but as I said before, Clemmons is really the only player that is a pass first guy when going to the hoop. If Marble and White were, or if either of those players would take the easy pull-up and stay out of charge territory, it would be just as effective as a lay-up. The detail and recognition of what is right in front of you is what is missing on dribble penetration.

The mid-range game gets so overlooked when people are constantly infatuated with the 3-pt ball today, I think every player on Iowa, but probably Woodbury/Olaseni believes they can make them on a regular basis. Problem is, they aren't, but we all know that.

Poor shot selection will haunt this team until they understand not to stand and dribble instead of all the players getting into motion, I believe Iowa runs a "motion" offense, but it doesn't look like it very often.

Gross

Latest posts