Why can't our BB team

I think they are feeling the pressure of expectations. They were supposed to make the leap this year, expectations are higher, they are oh so close to getting it done, and therefore, there is a little puckering going on in the anal muscle. Once this muscle relaxes, they will be able to take many shots at a soft rim. I'm confident they will get many more to go down as they continue to feel relaxed. I like the way that Basabe boy really takes it to the hole and slams it. Very impressive.

Well, start with recruiting. Sorry to beat the drum, but what else can you attribute it to? The guys we have are (allegedly) great practice shooters, which means nothing in games. This is Oglesby, period. He is not in a slump or going to bust out Sunday or the next game, he just isn't a good game shooter and really hasn't been except for blowout wins or losses when the pressure is off. At this point, I would rather see Clemmons and White take those shots. Secondly, we don't have guys who can penetrate and score or dish, so we end up stagnant on offense, deferring, as we did last year to Gatens, for somebody to jack a 3 up. Put a guy like DJ Newbill on this team and when the 3's aren't dropping, you let him drive and score or kick. Did anyone notice how many times Newbill drove down the lane and took it to our bigs? Compare that to Gesell getting 3 jumpers blocked and you being to see why we are so limited offensively. I would like to see Denning get some PT for late first half possessions or run a set for him to get a shot. We desperately need someone to hit a 3 and he has a nice shot. I am not talking major minutes, but late in shot clocks, etc. Maybe Oglesby needs to realize he is not going to get off the bench if he doesn't start making shots.

Last edited:
I think they attack the rim plenty. The problem is when they do they try to get fouled more then they try to make the shot.

THIS! Aaron White is the master at it. If he could just make those shots.... Maybe it plays out better with percentages, going for the foul & taking free throws vs making the dang shot... Regardless, it is much more exciting bball watching someone make a shot, rather than a momentum killing free throw.

At this point, it isn't a slump. It's a poor shooting team.

JDM tweeted last night hinting that Marble has a turf toe and is no longer able to take people off the dribble. Even though he keeps trying.

Thank God we can shoot FT's.

White has started making a few the last couple of games. Clemmons made 1 last night and was at 33% going into the game so his percentage increased. I like the idea of working the ball around and trying to get it inside...avoid the 3 to the extent possible.

We obviously have to shoot and make some. Since it's far from a team strength and there's not any 1 guy making them consistently I like the idea of several guys taking a couple. See if there's a hot hand like Gesell at Purdue and then feed the hot hand. I'm thinking Marble, Gesell, White, May, Oglesby, McCabe and Clemmons as guys that could get a hot hand in any given game.

I am going to guess it is, because none of them grew up on a farm, therefore none of them have tried to (or have had the chance to) hit the broadside of a barn!

Any farmers out there that want to give the Iowa BB team the chance to hit their barn?

I have connections and can get them a barn. Let me know a date and time.

I am going to guess it is, because none of them grew up on a farm, therefore none of them have tried to (or have had the chance to) hit the broadside of a barn!

Any farmers out there that want to give the Iowa BB team the chance to hit their barn?

The fix is not more mid-range shots..

It is shot selection, Iowa doesn't take enough mid-range shots, or do enough dribble penetration to try and get to the rim, not necessarily by the guy dribbling, but dishing it off.

Iowa has some good mid-range shooters, but they often pass up those shots, not sure why.

the fix is more talent. Both McCabe, Oglesby, and to some extent Gesell, all look like they have nice-looking shooting strokes. If they have their feet set and have time/space to get a shot off, they are likely to make a good percentage of them. The problem is those type of players need other, more skilled players to get them open shots. Which we don't have, or the ones we do have need more experience. Cartwright had his deficiencies (couldn't shoot, poor defense) but he did have an ability to get into the lane off the dribble.

I agree we need more dribble penetration, but it's not as easy as saying we just need more dribble penetration. The only guy who can create his own shot is Marble (due to his size), and I'd estimate he's only 75-80% of what he was last year due to the toe and ankle injuries. Look at what happened against Purdue when Gesell had the ball at the end of the shot clock a few times and had to try and make something happen. It wasn't pretty.

I'm optimistic about future years as Gesell/Clemmons will learn how to work effectively against B1G-level guards, and the addition of Jok will help as well. But this year the Hawks look to be what they are: much-improved defensive team, will take the ball aggressively to the basket and get to the line, but have trouble making shots.

Well, start with recruiting. Sorry to beat the drum, but what else can you attribute it to? The guys we have are (allegedly) great practice shooters, which means nothing in games. This is Oglesby, period. He is not in a slump or going to bust out Sunday or the next game, he just isn't a good game shooter and really hasn't been except for blowout wins or losses when the pressure is off. At this point, I would rather see Clemmons and White take those shots. Secondly, we don't have guys who can penetrate and score or dish, so we end up stagnant on offense, deferring, as we did last year to Gatens, for somebody to jack a 3 up. Put a guy like DJ Newbill on this team and when the 3's aren't dropping, you let him drive and score or kick. Did anyone notice how many times Newbill drove down the lane and took it to our bigs? Compare that to Gesell getting 3 jumpers blocked and you being to see why we are so limited offensively. I would like to see Denning get some PT for late first half possessions or run a set for him to get a shot. We desperately need someone to hit a 3 and he has a nice shot. I am not talking major minutes, but late in shot clocks, etc. Maybe Oglesby needs to realize he is not going to get off the bench if he doesn't start making shots.

Recruiting? This is a stupid argument.

Fran has brought in 2 real recruiting classes that have been 1000 percent better than what was here when he got here.

Do you realize you can't just go out and get any player you want?

There has been a massive upgrade in talent and its continuing to get better.

Yes this team is deficient in shooting. 3 years ago it was deficient in shooting and also every other aspect of the game and they couldn't even compete with real teams. Its progressively getting better, it doesn't happen instantly when you are at a program that has sucked for the last 15 years.

Recruiting? This is a stupid argument.

Fran has brought in 2 real recruiting classes that have been 1000 percent better than what was here when he got here.

Do you realize you can't just go out and get any player you want?

There has been a massive upgrade in talent and its continuing to get better.

Yes this team is deficient in shooting. 3 years ago it was deficient in shooting and also every other aspect of the game and they couldn't even compete with real teams. Its progressively getting better, it doesn't happen instantly when you are at a program that has sucked for the last 15 years.

Do you not read any of TedNugent's posts? Obviously you don't, his answer for every problem is simply to bring in great athletes who are also great basketball problems. He seriously questioned why Fran doesn't bring in the juco equivalent of Harrison Barnes. The Nuge does not understand how recruiting works.

Someone mentioned Iowa getting to rim and getting dunks, how many of those dunks were pure assists? Probably not too many, Iowa's big guys get putbacks, not passes.

Iowa got 18 assists on 20 FG's last night. For the season they have assists on 65% of their FG's. I don't know what you're trying to argue.

Iowa got 18 assists on 20 FG's last night. For the season they have assists on 65% of their FG's. I don't know what you're trying to argue.

What were those numbers against teams with a pulse? Of course those numbers look awesome against PSU...wow.

Iowa is 12th in the country in A/FGM at 64.8%, you're on the wrong side of this argument.

In B10 play alone, it's at 64.5%, first in the conference.

Ok, rephrase here. That was brought out a part from me on shot selection. Those numbers for A/FGM are very, very good, in theory. Stats are a good thing, but don't always tell the whole story.

Here is the problem: Iowa is ranked 184th in the nation in FG%

Iowa may be scoring off of assists and that is great, but it doesn't mean they are taking good shots. As I stated, sometimes making the extra one or two passes gets a higher % shot and it is still an assist anyway.

Also, does this say that Iowa can't create in one on one situations causing that % to be a really high number? This doesn't show up on a stat sheet, just in what you learn from watching, I am not trying to be cynical either.

Latest posts