Why can't our BB team

Ok, rephrase here. That was brought out a part from me on shot selection. Those numbers for A/FGM are very, very good, in theory. Stats are a good thing, but don't always tell the whole story.

Here is the problem: Iowa is ranked 184th in the nation in FG%

Iowa may be scoring off of assists and that is great, but it doesn't mean they are taking good shots. As I stated, sometimes making the extra one or two passes gets a higher % shot and it is still an assist anyway.

Also, does this say that Iowa can't create in one on one situations causing that % to be a really high number? This doesn't show up on a stat sheet, just in what you learn from watching, I am not trying to be cynical either.

In general, teams that have explosive guards who can create their own shots have lower A/FGM percentages. Michigan, Arizona, Florida and Louisville all are outside the top 100 in this category. I don't think you can definitively draw any conclusions on shot selection based on this stat. Also, there is really no correlation to winning and this stat, there are good teams (UNLV, Creighton, K-State) in the top 15 and there are good teams (Miami FL, Mississippi) in the 300+ range.

In general, teams that have explosive guards who can create their own shots have lower A/FGM percentages. Michigan, Arizona, Florida and Louisville all are outside the top 100 in this category. I don't think you can definitively draw any conclusions on shot selection based on this stat. Also, there is really no correlation to winning and this stat, there are good teams (UNLV, Creighton, K-State) in the top 15 and there are good teams (Miami FL, Mississippi) in the 300+ range.

Iowa is who they are, I think they are a team where the A/FGM % will be high until Iowa develops more as a team.

My whole point on shot selection has been Iowa seems to "settle" on the first "decent" look on offense rather than pass up for a better shot. When I watch some ranked teams the first thing their players do is look to pass unless there is nobody within three feet of them.

It would not surprise me if Iowa was pretty high on the list for A/FGM% in the last few years actually.

Iowa is who they are, I think they are a team where the A/FGM % will be high until Iowa develops more as a team.

My whole point on shot selection has been Iowa seems to "settle" on the first "decent" look on offense rather than pass up for a better shot. When I watch some ranked teams the first thing their players do is look to pass unless there is nobody within three feet of them.

It would not surprise me if Iowa was pretty high on the list for A/FGM% in the last few years actually.

My question would be regarding the misses. How many of those would have been using assists if they'd been makes? This would tell us if the stat is even remotely close to telling the story. If the percentage is around the same than it tells a pretty good story. But if it turns out the percentage is lower than it would say we don't have the ability to create our own shots. The second is what I believe would be true. Before marble got hurt he was the only one that can create his own shot. Now that is limited with the injury. I would like to see more zero guard play out of marble where he tries to get to the hoop but basabe or white cuts from the opposite side for a possible dump off and mg comes off a screen for a possible kick out. That is how we should attck. But with the injury that is limited.

there are good teams (Miami FL, Mississippi) in the 300+ range.

Surprises me that O Miss is that low. I watched them get 15 assists on 18 FG against Tennessee and it seemed like so much of their effective offense was a catch-and-shoot three by Marshall.

My question would be regarding the misses. How many of those would have been using assists if they'd been makes? This would tell us if the stat is even remotely close to telling the story. If the percentage is around the same than it tells a pretty good story. But if it turns out the percentage is lower than it would say we don't have the ability to create our own shots. The second is what I believe would be true. Before marble got hurt he was the only one that can create his own shot. Now that is limited with the injury. I would like to see more zero guard play out of marble where he tries to get to the hoop but basabe or white cuts from the opposite side for a possible dump off and mg comes off a screen for a possible kick out. That is how we should attck. But with the injury that is limited.

Against bad teams, when he has played off the ball against guys his size he has not been as effective.

That said, the injury hasn't helped him but I still want to see him perform against guys of his size and similar or better athleticism.

Iowa will have a few guys that can create next year, I think it comes from maturity and knowing when to take your chances. Clemmons/Gesell, more Clemmons, have created, but they get tentative if they get their shot blocked or turn it over.

I agree with two of those last three sentences, it has been one of my biggest gripes all season, when Iowa does drive to the hoop, it is a black hole. The end result is not normally positive for Iowa.

Latest posts