Who Would Guess That Iowa Has a 4**** Soph PG on Its Roster

IowaLawWasRight

This team is a mediocre pg away from being something special. We've got some of the more talented bigs in recent memory in Cook and Garza. We've got talented wings who can shoot the rock as good as any in JBo, Moss, & Baer. We've even got a guy who will land on the Big 10's all-freshmen team for the first time in ages in Wieskamp.

But what about the gaping hole at PG? Let's take an honest look at why Fran has not been able to land a point guard in 4 or 5 years. My guess is that it's because Fran's own son was a highly touted PG who committed to come to Iowa lonnnng long ago (believe it or not, while Conner committed in 2014, the same year as long forgotten Hawks like Trey Dickerson, and even before Dale Jones and Christian Williams). The mediocre level PGs we've offered likely did not like the prospect of sitting on the bench while the coach's son started 3-4 years. This is a reasonable assumption.

The flip side is that McCaffrey came in as a stud 4**** recruit. An argument can be made that landing a 4 **** PG offsets any recruiting losses associated with having the coach's son commit so early, right?

So far, it's not looking like it. He is two years into the system, yet ranks last among all guards in college basketball at 3 point shooting, hitting an ice cold 12% (2 of 16). This is a % exceeded by most high school girls guards in Iowa). He's playing 20 mins per game, including ends of games, but his points per game are last on the 8 man rotation at 4.8. Perhaps his role is more of a ball handler than a scorer? That argument is blown by the fact that he's got 29 turnovers (by comparison, Moss, who starts and plays a lot more minutes, has 32 turnovers, and Wieskamp has 31).

Make no mistake, this team is better with McCaffrey on it, and he's bound to improve his shot. But is McCaffrey seeing minutes because of his talent or because of the lack of point guards his dad has recruited to compete with him since he committed? If Bohannon's class or Garza's class or even Wieskamp's class brought in a single serviceable PG, it is more likely than not that 4**** Connor would be seeing walk-on minutes even after redshirting a year. Rivals.com only goes back to 2002, but every 4**** recruit we've had in that time period has started from the day they walked on campus.

Here's to hoping next year's PG recruit out of NY is that missing ingredient that this team lacks.

This team is a mediocre pg away from being something special. We've got some of the more talented bigs in recent memory in Cook and Garza. We've got talented wings who can shoot the rock as good as any in JBo, Moss, & Baer. We've even got a guy who will land on the Big 10's all-freshmen team for the first time in ages in Wieskamp.

But what about the gaping hole at PG? Let's take an honest look at why Fran has not been able to land a point guard in 4 or 5 years. My guess is that it's because Fran's own son was a highly touted PG who committed to come to Iowa lonnnng long ago (believe it or not, while Conner committed in 2014, the same year as long forgotten Hawks like Trey Dickerson, and even before Dale Jones and Christian Williams). The mediocre level PGs we've offered likely did not like the prospect of sitting on the bench while the coach's son started 3-4 years. This is a reasonable assumption.

The flip side is that McCaffrey came in as a stud 4**** recruit. An argument can be made that landing a 4 **** PG offsets any recruiting losses associated with having the coach's son commit so early, right?

So far, it's not looking like it. He is two years into the system, yet ranks last among all guards in college basketball at 3 point shooting, hitting an ice cold 12% (2 of 16). This is a % exceeded by most high school girls guards in Iowa). He's playing 20 mins per game, including ends of games, but his points per game are last on the 8 man rotation at 4.8. Perhaps his role is more of a ball handler than a scorer? That argument is blown by the fact that he's got 29 turnovers (by comparison, Moss, who starts and plays a lot more minutes, has 32 turnovers, and Wieskamp has 31).

Make no mistake, this team is better with McCaffrey on it, and he's bound to improve his shot. But is McCaffrey seeing minutes because of his talent or because of the lack of point guards his dad has recruited to compete with him since he committed? If Bohannon's class or Garza's class or even Wieskamp's class brought in a single serviceable PG, it is more likely than not that 4**** Connor would be seeing walk-on minutes even after redshirting a year. Rivals.com only goes back to 2002, but every 4**** recruit we've had in that time period has started from the day they walked on campus.

Here's to hoping next year's PG recruit out of NY is that missing ingredient that this team lacks.

I don't see it that way at all either. I must be watching different games and players. But your question is fairly easy. Connor isn't starting because he's a freshman playing his first year of college ball sitting behind likely the most prolific shooter that Iowa has ever had at PG. Not to mention a team full of upper class men that are in the midst of a solid year. I am extremely encouraged by his play on both ends of the court. He's young, young guys turn the ball over. I would say guys like Joe W are the exception in that regard, but even he does it.

He's probably never going to be a big time scorer, but IMO, he's made as much stride as any player on the team this season. Smart player, great at feeding the post and running the offense. Great at in bounding the ball and makes a lot of smart heady plays for this team. He does actually have some great moves to get into a defense. His #'s aren't jumping off the page, but IMO - SOLID start for Connor at Iowa. One of the big pieces to Iowa's turn around this year IMO and Iowa doesn't need him to score - at least not on this team.

To answer your question - "Me, I would guess that Iowa has a 4 * PG on their roster". Iowa is ranked #21 and 20-6. It's 6 loses are to Quad 1 teams. I know I am in the minority, but I think it speaks volumes about the team we have that we don't have to rely on a 4* freshman PG to be our meal ticket.

I don't see it that way at all either. I must be watching different games and players. But your question is fairly easy. Connor isn't starting because he's a freshman playing his first year of college ball sitting behind likely the most prolific shooter that Iowa has ever had at PG. Not to mention a team full of upper class men that are in the midst of a solid year. I am extremely encouraged by his play on both ends of the court. He's young, young guys turn the ball over. I would say guys like Joe W are the exception in that regard, but even he does it.

He's probably never going to be a big time scorer, but IMO, he's made as much stride as any player on the team this season. Smart player, great at feeding the post and running the offense. Great at in bounding the ball and makes a lot of smart heady plays for this team. He does actually have some great moves to get into a defense. His #'s aren't jumping off the page, but IMO - SOLID start for Connor at Iowa. One of the big pieces to Iowa's turn around this year IMO and Iowa doesn't need him to score - at least not on this team.

To answer your question - "Me, I would guess that Iowa has a 4 * PG on their roster". Iowa is ranked #21 and 20-6. It's 6 loses are to Quad 1 teams. I know I am in the minority, but I think it speaks volumes about the team we have that we don't have to rely on a 4* freshman PG to be our meal ticket.
He’s also the 3rd guy...in addition to Cook and Moss...that doesn’t mind playing in a physical game IMO. That’s important.

While there are some things in your OP I disagree with, I do agree with the fact that Fran has created a roster completely void of the things Connor does best in terms of being strong with the ball and handling the ball. JBo can dribble but it’s hard for him to be strong with the ball or create separation.

Connor has helped this particular team in those areas along with a good B-ball IQ and just general toughness.

But yes, as many have suspected he was wildly overrated as a recruit, even after his ranking fell off towards the end. Before this season I suggested he wasn’t a P5 level player, I think the jury is still probably out on that. His stats in B1G play are as follows:

2.8 PTS / 2.6 AST / 1.1 TPG
29% FG / 9.1 % 3P / 68% FT
8.1 PER

That’s bad, really bad, freshman or otherwise.

Again, he’s brought some things to this years team and I think he will continue to do so. In the midst of a really good season I don’t want to spend too much time trashing a player, but I do think there is legitimate argument to be made that Fran created this roster with opportunity for Connor in mind.

tenor.gif

He’s also the 3rd guy...in addition to Cook and Moss...that doesn’t mind playing in a physical game IMO. That’s important.

Nope, Nike says he's not good enough to play at this level and he's willing to die on that hill because of his per when he's a Frosh back up PG on a top 10 offensive unit. I won't deny his #'s aren't great, but Iowa is not asking him to be much more than the role he's playing. I don't get the act or thinking he's never going to be good when his role and minutes increase. Maybe he can drop some knowledge on us about Mashie Dailey or Garza to help complete his hat trick.

I think Cook's physicality is waaay overrated. A couple of put back dunks is not being physical imo. Being a force inside, especially on defense is being physical. He is not that.

I’m not from the state so I don’t follow Iowa high school recruiting as closely.

What’s the deal with that kid? Did he have any P5 offers? What is he ranked by the recruiting services?
He's the most underrated point guard in the country. Diamond in the rough. Stay tuned! ;)

What are the odds Locure and McCafferey meet up in the playoffs?
I'd have to see the brackets. Odds are good they both play in the Wells. Carton should be there as well.

Nope, Nike says he's not good enough to play at this level and he's willing to die on that hill because of his per when he's a Frosh back up PG on a top 10 offensive unit. I won't deny his #'s aren't great, but Iowa is not asking him to be much more than the role he's playing. I don't get the act or thinking he's never going to be good when his role and minutes increase. Maybe he can drop some knowledge on us about Mashie Dailey or Garza to help complete his hat trick.
I literally talked about his toughness in my post, and some of the other things he’s brought to the team this year. I have sung his praises on a few occasions this year for making big plays for us. I also just contradicted the OP’s posts with factual evidence for the narrative he is trying to push.

Not sure why you are taking so much offense to my post.

Lastly, if you want to go back into the Luka Garza conversation I’d gladly go there, but my statements about him appear to be right on the money, although I wish they weren’t.

Again I don’t want to go down this path of arguing over stupid stuff during his great season. I simply responded to the OP in what I believe is a fair manner.

I literally talked about his toughness in my post, and some of the other things he’s brought to the team this year. I have sung his praises on a few occasions this year for making big plays for us. I also just contradicted the OP’s posts with factual evidence for the narrative he is trying to push.

Not sure why you are taking so much offense to my post.

Lastly, if you want to go back into the Luka Garza conversation I’d gladly go there, but my statements about him appear to be right on the money, although I wish they weren’t.

Again I don’t want to go down this path of arguing over stupid stuff during his great season. I simply responded to the OP in what I believe is a fair manner.

I don’t want to argue either, but your still claiming to be right about Garza? LOL. Come on man. He’s the immediate future of the program and one of the best C Iowa has had in decades. A slump is something most every player goes through. I know you did have good comments about Connor. You’ve eaten plenty of crow on it, but with your stances on other guys being wildly off base I assumed at some point you’d get gun shy. It’s all good, I was just busting your balls like usual. I mean it in a friendly manor but I’ll admit I am a snarky lil bitch sometimes.

@NikeHawk21 you also do go out on hills to die on, and that’s commendable. I rarely do because a lot of times I don’t have a strong enough case one way or the other. I don’t think you should have 100% accuracy and I apologize if I sometimes come across like I think you should. You bring a lot to the discussion, a lot more raw understanding of the game then I’ll ever have. I just have my eye balls and gut feeling.