Who Would Guess That Iowa Has a 4**** Soph PG on Its Roster

Another game in the books for the homers on this board's favorite Hawk (the one who plays with a scowl on his face every minute he's on the court).

Stat line: 2 points, 1 rebound, and 4 fouls, including a crucial technical for cussing out a ref and complaining about an obvious foul that he committed. Oh, and he somehow managed to lower his 3 point shooting percentage to a national low 11%. That means he misses 9 out of every 10 three he puts up...despite practicing basketball every day. But surely that doesn't matter because he was "recruited as a shooting guard, not a point guard??" He's also in there at the end of all games, rather than Moss or Baer.

It's amusing that some think he's the reason for this team's 21 wins. To me, that's like saying Raestatter is the reason the Hawkeye football team had a successful season (as opposed to winning in spite of him)..
Moss and Baer have been in at the end of numerous games as of late.

Who hit a crucial runner in the lane with 12 seconds to go in the Northwestern game? Moss.

Who redirected Connor's long inbound pass to Wiescamp as he beat Rutgers? Baer. Moss was on the floor as well.

Who grabbed several big defensive rebounds in last week's Indiana game? Baer.

Where was Connor the last ten minutes of the Maryland game? Let's put it this way, he wasn't out there preventing Cowan from getting to the rim. If he was out there like you say he always is, perhaps we get a stop on that possession.

Who grabbed an offensive rebound and had a chance to win the Maryland game at the buzzer? Moss.

Have I proven my point? Who knows

I’m in agreement with you that he’s helped this team in terms of ball handling and initiating the offense, and toughness. This was a team mostly void of that (Fran’s creation IMO).

I do believe at some point there needs to be a legitimate conversation about his stats and whether he really fits at this level. I think there are very few other B1G teams he would find minutes on and I know for a fact he would get creamed by any fan base for putting up the stat line he does, regardless of being coaches son or not.

Next year with Joe T (apparently up to a 4* on ESPN - I don’t follow ESPN recruiting) coming in, is it possible that Joe provides the things that Connor is providing and more? If he does will Fran give him the minutes at the expense of Connor? That will be when this thing gets really interesting.
The vast majority of freshmen improve. Connor is already doing many things well. He will almost certainly continue to improve in those areas and other areas as well. And he’s holding his own in the Big 10. And he was regarded as a quality prospect out of high school...by people that do more than post on message boards. He will likely get better, be in the rotation and help us win games...despite the added pressure of being the coach’s son.

Where ever you find the +/- stats for Conf games only and ÷ by min --- you'll find your reason for who plays when and vs. what situation

The vast majority of freshmen improve. Connor is already doing many things well. He will almost certainly continue to improve in those areas and other areas as well. And he’s holding his own in the Big 10. And he was regarded as a quality prospect out of high school...by people that do more than post on message boards. He will likely get better, be in the rotation and help us win games...despite the added pressure of being the coach’s son.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine personally was Connor was wildly overrated as a recruit, even after his rating dropped significantly.

I don’t see him ever becoming even an average shooter at this level. As I said earlier freshman or otherwise, his stats simply are not good. Also he’s a redshirt freshman who’s is old for his age I believe? Is it possible you are being a bit to lenient here?

Again everyone is entitled to their opinion. If Joe T is as good as advertised next year I’m not sure Connor deserves a spot in the rotation. I will add he has helped this current team who’s having a successful season despite the recent poor play.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine personally was Connor was wildly overrated as a recruit, even after his rating dropped significantly.

I don’t see him ever becoming even an average shooter at this level. As I said earlier freshman or otherwise, his stats simply are not good. Also he’s a redshirt freshman who’s is old for his age I believe? Is it possible you are being a bit to lenient here?

Again everyone is entitled to their opinion. If Joe T is as good as advertised next year I’m not sure Connor deserves a spot in the rotation. I will add he has helped this current team who’s having a successful season despite the recent poor play.
All I said is he will get better, be in the rotation and help us win games. He’s already in the rotation and has helped us win games. So I’m saying he will continue to do these 2 things and improve. Lenient (or critical) isn’t even applicable to my post IMO.

Based on your response are you suggesting he will get worse? I think Joe T. will play...hopefully a lot. But I would put Connor ahead of Moss and Dailey in my projections for next year...and an unknown RS freshman.

All I said is he will get better, be in the rotation and help us win games. He’s already in the rotation and has helped us win games. So I’m saying he will continue to do these 2 things and improve. Lenient (or critical) isn’t even applicable to my post IMO.

Based on your response are you suggesting he will get worse? I think Joe T. will play...hopefully a lot. But I would put Connor ahead of Moss and Dailey in my projections for next year...and an unknown RS freshman.
I agree he’s helped us win games and he will get better. My point is if Joe T can provide what he provides now in terms of ball handling and passing then I’m not sure he’s needed as much.

You would put him ahead of Moss next year? That’s a bold bold proclamation and one that hardly any statistic would support.

It's unclear to me why anyone still responds to this guy... he thinks raw stats are the measure of a player's value to the team which simply tells me he knows very little about the subject.

Flat out... Iowa is not a 20+ win team this year without Connor McCaffery... period.
This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever read, there have been zero games where CM has put the team on his shoulders and willed them to victory. Suggesting his 10% shooting and getting embarrassed on D propelled Iowa to a 20 win season is comical.

Last edited:

Another comical post, CM is doing nothing well given the 20 minutes a game he plays, yet because he was a highly rated recruit out of high school we should overlook his poor performance. If only we had other freshman guards that played at least 20 minutes a game to compare his against......oh wait, never mind.

Agreed. He shot it well in HS, in particular, his junior and senior seasons when he was relied upon to score more. He simply just doesn't shoot it very often when he's given an open look which reeks lack of confidence
His shooting form has looked bad for awhile. Don’t know why. But when that goes and you don’t shoot much it’s hard to get it back.

When JBo misses a couple of shots short you can just see him focus on the next one to get squared up, lots of arch, and back of the rim.

Another game is in the books with the painful Rutgers blowout loss. Unfortunately, yet another confirmation of what IowaLaw has been saying about the coach's son all along. Connor made zero baskets until the final 30 seconds (that's the time he routinely decides to take the ball to the rack and pad his stats because the defender doesn't care). He also got fouled in the last minute of the game, making 1 of 2 free throws to go along with his 1 rebound and 0 steals. Meanwhile Baer played similar minutes and had 17 pts 6 rbs.

Despite his lack of production, staff continues to play Connor (our 8th man) at the end of games. The starting 5 should be out there at the end of games unless a sub has the hot hand or guys have fouled out. Connor's hot hand included 1/3 shooting (i.e. the last second layup with no one guarding him), and hitting just 50% of his 4 free throws. Shaquille O'Neil shot the ball better.

I'm sorry to be the first to make the comparison, but Connor is analogous to Licklighter jr. Obviously, one is a highly touted recruit built like a D1 athlete while the other was a walk on, but both got their minutes at Iowa solely based on: (i) the coach created roster's lack of any other warm body who could play point guard; and (ii) their dad being the head coach. The fact that the staff failed to recruit anyone better than a slow, 10% 3 point shooting coach's son with an attitude to play point guard cost the Hawks a chance at a historic season this year.

Imagine for a moment if Brady Ellingston, who left Iowa to make room for Connor, stayed for his senior season. This year, he shot 48% from 3, 89% from the free throw line, and averaged 12 points per game. Would he have seen the court?

Last edited:
Another game is in the books with the painful Rutgers blowout loss. Unfortunately, yet another confirmation of what IowaLaw has been saying about the coach's son all along. Connor made zero baskets until the final 30 seconds (that's the time he routinely decides to take the ball to the rack and pad his stats because the defender doesn't care). He also got fouled in the last minute of the game, making 1 of 2 free throws to go along with his 1 rebound and 0 steals. Meanwhile Baer played similar minutes and had 17 pts 6 rbs.

Despite his lack of production, staff continues to play Connor (our 8th man) at the end of games. The starting 5 should be out there at the end of games unless a sub has the hot hand or guys have fouled out. Connor's hot hand included 1/3 shooting (i.e. the last second layup with no one guarding him), and hitting just 50% of his 4 free throws. Shaquille O'Neil shot the ball better.

I'm sorry to be the first to make the comparison, but Connor is analogous to Licklighter jr. Obviously, one is a highly touted recruit built like a D1 athlete while the other was a walk on, but both got their minutes at Iowa solely based on: (i) the coach created roster's lack of any other warm body who could play point guard; and (ii) their dad being the head coach. The fact that the staff failed to recruit anyone better than a slow, 10% 3 point shooting coach's son with an attitude to play point guard cost the Hawks a chance at a historic season this year.

Imagine for a moment if Brady Ellingston, who left Iowa to make room for Connor, stayed for his senior season. This year, he shot 48% from 3, 89% from the free throw line, and averaged 12 points per game. Would he have seen the court?
Interesting question but he's not a ball handler anymore than Moss is either. It becomes a who's mins is he taking kind of thing. Say he took CM played but with the roles being so different how would JBo have done this year if he had to shoulder all the ball handling he did like last yr again? We all know Brady could shoot when he was open. Problem was at this level of play it was always going to be tougher for him. Especially with a PG like JBo. A school like Drake is/was perfect for him and it's almost too bad he didn't choose a school like that to begin with. But glad he's had a good SR yr. He's a really good kid too

If you'd rather have Brady Ellingson bringing the ball up over Connor then you watch even less basketball than I thought.

I agree he’s helped us win games and he will get better. My point is if Joe T can provide what he provides now in terms of ball handling and passing then I’m not sure he’s needed as much.

You would put him ahead of Moss next year? That’s a bold bold proclamation and one that hardly any statistic would support.
I’m not basing my prediction on stats. I’m basing my projection on what I see watching the games.

I think Connor will improve. And from what I’ve observed watching the games he’s currently ahead of Moss in three areas...defense, ball handling and basketball IQ.

I don’t care who’s in the rotation as long as we win. If Moss is better he should be on the floor next season.

The CM vs. IM minute sharing debate is a really puzzling question.
Moss is clearly a guy who will be able to carry the team on some nights and CM just cannot. The difference on D is not that wide IMO. Moss gets more big steal/layup plays. It's mystifying how little PT he's getting in second halves.

I’m not basing my prediction on stats. I’m basing my projection on what I see watching the games.

I think Connor will improve. And from what I’ve observed watching the games he’s currently ahead of Moss in three areas...defense, ball handling and basketball IQ.

I don’t care who’s in the rotation as long as we win. If Moss is better he should be on the floor next season.
Defensive rating, defensive box +/-, and defensive win shares all favor Moss, as does steal % and defensive rebound %.

Again if Joe T provides better defense and ball handling than Connor he should play minutes at the 1 position.

Moss is a 2 guard who is a shooter by trade.

I think CM will improve over the summer but his future is on the baseball diamond. The Hawks have a point guard coming next year along with PM. JBO can play either guard spot, JW could move to the 2 or still be at the 3. Pat play the 4 along with Nunge and Pemsl the 5. Nunge also could be a player at the 5 if needed. Moss, if he stays, and Frederick shooters off the bench. Also PM could play the 3.

If you'd rather have Brady Ellingson bringing the ball up over Connor then you watch even less basketball than I thought.

Exactly. Brady isn't playing point guard for Drake. Don't know how he'd take Connor's minutes if he were still at Iowa. He saw that he was going to have to beat out Dailey, who is a better defender, for the third spot at shooting guard behind Moss and Bohannon. He looked objectively at his skill level and concluded he wouldn't get as many minutes this year so he transferred as a grad student. And it's worked out for him. I'm happy that Brady landed on a team and is a big part of their success. But let's face it - if Drake were in the Big 10 do you really believe they would have 23 wins?