Who Would Guess That Iowa Has a 4**** Soph PG on Its Roster

InGoodCo - I would agree, you must be watching different games than the rest of us (or are simply too strong of a homer to be objective) if you believe Connor is living up to his billing and his contributions have been worth 5 years of Iowa not recruiting a point guard.

Connor is not "sitting behind" JBo at PG. He plays on the floor with him most of the time he's out there. JBo is not the reason for his lack of productivity.

Connor's minutes are way up. Friday against Indiana, he played the same minutes as starters Moss and Wieskamp, and 6th man Baer. The problem is, Connor scored just 1 point (the last point of the game, when the Hawks had it wrapped up and he made 1 of 2 meaningless fts before the buzzer). He also had just 1 rebound. He also struggled mightily trying to cover Indiana's quick pg as he routinely blew by him, requiring someone else to help out, leaving their man open.

You say Connor has made "huge strides this year." The stats show the opposite is true. Prior to laying a goose egg against Indiana, he had just 6 points 2 boards the game before against Maryland. He actually put up better numbers in the first games of the season, where he had 11 pts against Green Bay and 19 against UCONN.

How many 4 star point guards in the class of 2017 would you say are putting up lower numbers? My guess is none, while there are several 2 star PGs out there who are playing better right now.

so you're issue is he doesn't score in a top 10 offense in the country? lol. He is not trying to score. If you don't see that, you are the one not looking at it objectively. He is tearing it up on the court and you're not even watching if your of the opinion he isn't. He wasn't even recruited as a PG. He also wasn't a 4 star. Iowa has recruited many other PG's during the time he's been committed to Iowa. I didn't see him get blown by IU's guards? Iowa has also had many players make the B1G Frosh list. Iowa outscored Indiana by 24 pts while he was in the game the other night. He is a freshman role player playing his first season of college basketball. He is actually playing a bigger role on this team then I ever imagined. Stop please or at least try and hit closer to your mark.

so you're issue is he doesn't score in a top 10 offense in the country? lol. He is not trying to score. If you don't see that, you are the one not looking at it objectively. He is tearing it up on the court and you're not even watching if your of the opinion he isn't. He wasn't even recruited as a PG. He also wasn't a 4 star. Iowa has recruited many other PG's during the time he's been committed to Iowa. I didn't see him get blown by IU's guards? Iowa has also had many players make the B1G Frosh list. Iowa outscored Indiana by 24 pts while he was in the game the other night. He is a freshman role player playing his first season of college basketball. He is actually playing a bigger role on this team then I ever imagined. Stop please or at least try and hit closer to your mark.
Correct use of role vs. roll.... I like :)

Correct use of role vs. roll.... I like :)
haha I'll take it. Not gonna lie, "role" is a word I type very infrequently. "Roll" is too. I also have a 2 year junior college degree, I am not the best at spelling or math nor do I think I am smart outside of some common sense. I still have like the same 5 words that I struggle with to spell to this day. Emberassing? Embarrassing? Embarassing? I eventually get it right.

haha I'll take it. Not gonna lie, "role" is a word I type very infrequently. "Roll" is too. I also have a 2 year junior college degree, I am not the best at spelling or math nor do I think I am smart outside of some common sense. I still have like the same 5 words that I struggle with to spell to this day. Emberassing? Embarrassing? Embarassing? I eventually get it right.
Mine are definitely and necessary. If it wasn’t for spell check I’d spell those wrong 60% of the time.

Knight - in an attempt to defend Connor, you unwittingly made my point. Of course only 2 of 20 point guards Iowa has offered since Connor committed have come to Iowa. Do you not understand one of the primary factors for that? What point guard wants to come in and play behind the coach's son? The same thing happened in football when the Ferentz's were playing center. The only backups we had at the position were walk ons, because we either didn't try to or didn't get any others.

InGoodCo - At what point in the past two years has Connor played any position but PG at Iowa? He was a 4 star recruit who came to Iowa solely to play point guard. You can try to argue that he's really a "shooting guard," but anyone calling Connor a shooter with his 12% 3 point accuracy and 37% shooting from the floor (both last on the team) should be laughed out of the room.

We don't need him to score because we are a "top 10 offense in the country?" Hmmm. The Hawkeye offense ranks 33rd, which is still good, but what team doesn't need scoring out of their poor defensive players who play 25 min per game?

Iowa has had many players on the all Big 10 freshmen list? Not sure how that proves your point, other than the fact that Connor was not one of them.

Iowa hasn't recruited a point guard? We have gone after several but they chose different schools. What, do you think since we offer the recruit is obliged to sign with Iowa? Do you think that the other schools hold a gun to the head of recruits and say "Don't sign with Iowa"? Only 2 of the 20 point guards we've offered since 2014 have signed with us: Trey Dickerson and Jordan Bohannon. Now granted, we didn't go all in when recruiting most of them (we do have limited resources) but we did go hard after Tyler Ulis, Charlie Moore, Zavier Simpson and some others.

Oh, and by the way, where do you get the idea that he was a 4-star point guard? Connor was a 3-star small forward coming out of high school, according to 247. He was a 4-star shooting guard according to Rivals. He was a 4-star shooting guard according to ESPN. No one, repeat NO ONE, had him as a point guard coming out of high school

https://247sports.com/Player/Connor-McCaffery-69924/

Knight - in an attempt to defend Connor, you unwittingly made my point. Of course only 2 of 20 point guards Iowa has offered since Connor committed have come to Iowa. Do you not understand one of the primary factors for that? What point guard wants to come in and play behind the coach's son? The same thing happened in football when the Ferentz's were playing center. The only backups we had at the position were walk ons, because we either didn't try to or didn't get any others.

InGoodCo - At what point in the past two years has Connor played any position but PG at Iowa? He was a 4 star recruit who came to Iowa solely to play point guard. You can try to argue that he's really a "shooting guard," but anyone calling Connor a shooter with his 12% 3 point accuracy and 37% shooting from the floor (both last on the team) should be laughed out of the room.

We don't need him to score because we are a "top 10 offense in the country?" Hmmm. The Hawkeye offense ranks 33rd, which is still good, but what team doesn't need scoring out of their poor defensive players who play 25 min per game?

Iowa has had many players on the all Big 10 freshmen list? Not sure how that proves your point, other than the fact that Connor was not one of them.

Once again you are spitting out several factual errors in a lot of what you are stating throughout this thread. Your opinion is welcomed by all but stating things that are untrue to support your opinion is just plain ignorant. I'd also like to add that your constant bashing of Connor is starting to get old.

FYI - You may not see it but @Knight78 and @InGoodCo have both spewed facts that discredited some of your statements.

PS - Before you snap back at me like I know you will, just know that I agree with you that Connor's stats have been underwhelming. His shooting, outside of a couple of nice spurts, has been nearly nonexistent during Big Ten play. He does however bring a more physical presence at position that lacked depth last year and helps with ball movement when he's in the game. He does not need to score right now. That doesn't mean he doesn't need to work on his shooting, just that the team doesn't need him to be a scorer in an offense that most certainly is not ranked 33rd.

Connor's shooting will be fine. It's his confidence in shooting that he needs to get back. I doubt it happens this year, but next year his confidence starts fresh. Hopefully he gets off to a good start and keeps rolling.

As far as Fran not getting other point guards because Connor was committed, I hope that's true. If it is, we won't have to worry about it anymore after next year or possibly the year after. That's a temporary problem, which is way better than the permanent problem that Fran just sucks at recruiting point guards.

This season is almost in the books with a good year. Next year looks good too. If we have good years during the years Connor is here, it doesn't really matter. It may have mattered last year (and probably did). But last year is over and Fran has us set up to be anywhere from bubble team at worst to really good at best over the next couple years.

Connor's shooting will be fine. It's his confidence in shooting that he needs to get back. I doubt it happens this year, but next year his confidence starts fresh. Hopefully he gets off to a good start and keeps rolling.

As far as Fran not getting other point guards because Connor was committed, I hope that's true. If it is, we won't have to worry about it anymore after next year or possibly the year after. That's a temporary problem, which is way better than the permanent problem that Fran just sucks at recruiting point guards.

This season is almost in the books with a good year. Next year looks good too. If we have good years during the years Connor is here, it doesn't really matter. It may have mattered last year (and probably did). But last year is over and Fran has us set up to be anywhere from bubble team at worst to really good at best over the next couple years.

Agreed. He shot it well in HS, in particular, his junior and senior seasons when he was relied upon to score more. He simply just doesn't shoot it very often when he's given an open look which reeks lack of confidence. The same can be said of Dailey. He shot it decent last year and is struggling this year. You can just see him hoping the ball goes in when he shoots it.

where do you get your info? Time to upgrade to a pay site or something on your sources. I agree with you that his #'s are bad. It's a pretty small sample size for shooting to hang him on though considering he doesn't come in to games to shoot. He is a freshman and is impacting the game in different ways and playing way over his head. In a few years, this is going to sound about as dumb as the people bashing on Jordan Bohannon. I say "about" as dumb, cause Connor is never going to put up the stats Jordan has done, but IMO, Connor might take teams a lot further accomplishment wise.

Connor commits to Iowa and gets bashed. Connor gives us the backup PG we so desperately need to the tune of 21-6 and gets bashed.

Prepare yourself Patrick. You aren’t going to be good enough no matter what you do for certain people.

You're like the chief of police in the movie "The Bone Collector". Pick the ball up and score one for the other team.

If you kindly look at what I said, Connor was rated as either a shooting guard or a small forward coming out of high school. No service, not one, called him a point guard. Why would recruiting a shooting guard or a small forward deter any point guard recruit? What point guard recruit could foresee that Connor would not be a shooting guard?

Oh, and a word about Kirk's sons playing:

Steve Ferentz never saw the field except when a starter was injured or in mop-up duty as after he switched from tight end to interior lineman he was behind a non-walk-on - Austin Blythe. We obviously only have walk-on talent behind him because after Blythe graduated we had the walk-on James Daniels at center - oh, wait! Daniels wasn't a walk-on!

James Ferentz obviously has (and had) some talent. Second team all Big 10. He's in his third season in the NFL. This year he's on the roster as a backup lineman for the New England Patriots. Good enough for the NFL but not good enough for IowaLawIsRight, I guess, because he forced Iowa to only get walk-on talent to back him up because we only had Austin Blythe - oh, wait! Blythe wasn't a walk-on!

Brian Ferentz had a cup of coffe in the NFL. Had one season on the Atlanta Falcons' practice squad. Not quite good enough for the NFL but awful in the estimation of IowaLawIsRight. And his backup was Rafe Eubanks or Adam Gettis or maybe another lineman. (Not sure as that was a while ago)

InGoodCo - I would agree, you must be watching different games than the rest of us (or are simply too strong of a homer to be objective) if you believe Connor is living up to his billing and his contributions have been worth 5 years of Iowa not recruiting a point guard.

Connor is not "sitting behind" JBo at PG. He plays on the floor with him most of the time he's out there. JBo is not the reason for his lack of productivity.

Connor's minutes are way up. Friday against Indiana, he played the same minutes as starters Moss and Wieskamp, and 6th man Baer. The problem is, Connor scored just 1 point (the last point of the game, when the Hawks had it wrapped up and he made 1 of 2 meaningless fts before the buzzer). He also had just 1 rebound. He also struggled mightily trying to cover Indiana's quick pg as he routinely blew by him, requiring someone else to help out, leaving their man open.

You say Connor has made "huge strides this year." The stats show the opposite is true. Prior to laying a goose egg against Indiana, he had just 6 points 2 boards the game before against Maryland. He actually put up better numbers in the first games of the season, where he had 11 pts against Green Bay and 19 against UCONN.

How many 4 star point guards in the class of 2017 would you say are putting up lower numbers? My guess is none, while there are several 2 star PGs out there who are playing better right now.
Hahahah how dumb are you, Iowa was +24 against Indiana with Connor on the floor. You're one of those individual "stats tell the whole story" guys I guess...I'd say worst post of the year but you make so many of them it's hard to one-up yourself.

Link

Last edited:
Another game in the books for the homers on this board's favorite Hawk (the one who plays with a scowl on his face every minute he's on the court).

Stat line: 2 points, 1 rebound, and 4 fouls, including a crucial technical for cussing out a ref and complaining about an obvious foul that he committed. Oh, and he somehow managed to lower his 3 point shooting percentage to a national low 11%. That means he misses 9 out of every 10 three he puts up...despite practicing basketball every day. But surely that doesn't matter because he was "recruited as a shooting guard, not a point guard??" He's also in there at the end of all games, rather than Moss or Baer.

It's amusing that some think he's the reason for this team's 21 wins. To me, that's like saying Raestatter is the reason the Hawkeye football team had a successful season (as opposed to winning in spite of him)..

Another game in the books for the homers on this board's favorite Hawk (the one who plays with a scowl on his face every minute he's on the court).

Stat line: 2 points, 1 rebound, and 4 fouls, including a crucial technical for cussing out a ref and complaining about an obvious foul that he committed. Oh, and he somehow managed to lower his 3 point shooting percentage to a national low 11%. That means he misses 9 out of every 10 three he puts up...despite practicing basketball every day. But surely that doesn't matter because he was "recruited as a shooting guard, not a point guard??" He's also in there at the end of all games, rather than Moss or Baer.

It's amusing that some think he's the reason for this team's 21 wins. To me, that's like saying Raestatter is the reason the Hawkeye football team had a successful season (as opposed to winning in spite of him)..

he's not the reason, he's part of the reason for the turn around. He takes a ton of pressure off of Jordan and gives Iowa another reliable ball handler that they terribly needed.

he's not the reason, he's part of the reason for the turn around. He takes a ton of pressure off of Jordan and gives Iowa another reliable ball handler that they terribly needed.
I’m in agreement with you that he’s helped this team in terms of ball handling and initiating the offense, and toughness. This was a team mostly void of that (Fran’s creation IMO).

I do believe at some point there needs to be a legitimate conversation about his stats and whether he really fits at this level. I think there are very few other B1G teams he would find minutes on and I know for a fact he would get creamed by any fan base for putting up the stat line he does, regardless of being coaches son or not.

Next year with Joe T (apparently up to a 4* on ESPN - I don’t follow ESPN recruiting) coming in, is it possible that Joe provides the things that Connor is providing and more? If he does will Fran give him the minutes at the expense of Connor? That will be when this thing gets really interesting.

At the time of the tech, I'd hardly call it "crucial". We were down 11 points at that time and OSU had the momentum. And as I've stated before, the refs did NOT go to the monitor to check out the foul. Yes, Connor admits he fouled him. I thought that the OSU player threw his arms into Connor (thus getting a shoulder to the face); Big 10 refs have gone to the monitor on far less contact of this manner this season. Connor did not get T'ed up for anything he said - he even went and asked the ref what he did. In a post-game interview he said it was his hand gesture caused the T.

Baer and Moss WERE in at the end of the game; well, not the very end because we emptied our bench. Did you even watch the game? Apparently not.

There was a stretch at the beginning of the year where whenever Connor was on the bench I was wishing he was back out there. He was a big part of getting the team off to a fast start. If they lost a few early, who knows where that would have led them. So in that sense, he might be considered a big part for turning the team around.

That said, he's playing terrible right now. But so is Garza. So is Moss most games. Weiskamp has been pretty bad lately. (Possibly due to his back). Cook has been putting up decent numbers but has been really inefficient. Should I even mention Dailey? Honestly, the sum of the team has been way better than the parts this year. You know what that means? Coaching.