Who plays the 4 next year?

Tuttle plays 5 for UNI. Plenty of teams use their 4 to help space the floor as well, there are very few teams that consistently run an offense with two post players anymore. White gets plenty of looks from 3 at the 4 spot, he just hasn't taken them until recently. Your post is a very outdated notion of what a 4 should be.
And there you are.
BTW, that ISU player with the thin skin plays the post for ISU, at times.

Not my argument. Arguing with the poster proposing I was proposing 2 players in the post at the same time.

Yeah teams don't do that, so Uthoff can still play outside a lot. White took 52 3's this year despite being an incredibly reluctant shooter. Uthoff can easily play four and shoot just as many 3's as he did this year, all those transition 3's will still be there, plus he's going to have a bigger guy guarding him out there who probably will be more worried about getting beat off the dribble than the wing guys Uthoff faces this year. Offensively there will be absolutely no problem with him at the 4 and it has the potential to open the floor up more than we've ever seen it with McCaffery. The downside would possibly be on the defensive end if we did play a team with two big, physical players.

Sigh. A 4 - a power forward - goes to the basket with enough regularity and effectiveness to be.. effective. The stature and weight of a player has nothing to do with being a power forward. Seth Tuttle is a power forward. He's got the moves down low and is willing to go to the basket. Charles Barkley would've made a great power forward in the pros (he was one at Auburn). That player from ISU who lost all that weight in his boobies was a good power forward. Still is to some degree - still has those down low moves.

Many on this board want to make Uthoff Iowa's next 4. That means Uthoff has to devote a good part of his game to post play. Also means when down near the post, he can't shoot from the outside. And this is what you want???

Sidenote: while Uthoff learns to be effective in the post, he'll be ineffective. Which means he'll be more comfortable shooting from the outside which means Iowa will have less FT attempts than this season and this is, also, something you want???

Barkley was a freak of nature, a 6'4 power forward, with long arms and a gigantic rear end. Backing people down on the block with a gigantic rear end on a iso - the game is no longer played that way. That type of iso basketball was more prevalent in the NBA than college, but even the NBA has moved away from it.

And we won't be fine with Uthoff at the four, either. Taking arguably the best outside shooter Iowa has and forcing him inside where he's not so good is not fine for Iowa.

Aaron White is Iowa's 4 this year and he almost never is posting up or forced inside. Whenever he touches the ball he is either at the 3 point line or an alley-oop or back door cut. Occasionally he runs the baseline against a zone defense which is corner to corner.

The 4 in iowa's offense is not a back to the basket post player. Think of Iowa's 4 as the same thing as their 3 in most cases. The Center usually sets high screens at the top of the key and posts up down low. The rest of the players run motion from wing to wing coming off screens. That's it.

I think Iowa starts the season with 1 of these options:

Gesell
Jok
Uthoff
Uhl
Woodbury

Gesell
Clemmons
Jok
Uthoff
Woodbury

I think i prefer the second option until Uhl proves he can be Aaron White 2.0. Right now Uhl seems to want to sit back and launch deep shots which doesn't seem to be his game. Again, the 4 doesn't matter and Uthoff seems to play great defense

White forces his way to the basket. Granted, many times he's thwarted. Many other times he's fouled. And an alley-oop is a move to the basket..one of just of few of White's post moves.

Tuttle plays 5 for UNI. Plenty of teams use their 4 to help space the floor as well, there are very few teams that consistently run an offense with two post players anymore. White gets plenty of looks from 3 at the 4 spot, he just hasn't taken them until recently. Your post is a very outdated notion of what a 4 should be.

There really isn't that many traditional 4(s) in the NBA anymore. Tim Duncan and he is about 160 years old. Randolph is the only other one I could think of. Cousins/Noah are debatable if you consider them traditional 4(s).

This traditional post argument is a strawman to my argument. I'm not saying post play hasn't changed, 'cause it has, I'm saying a 4 or 5 isn't going to spend a good deal of time beyond the 3 point line (as Uthoff likes to do now).

This traditional post argument is a strawman to my argument. I'm not saying post play hasn't changed, 'cause it has, I'm saying a 4 or 5 isn't going to spend a good deal of time beyond the 3 point line (as Uthoff likes to do now).

But White does, he gets the ball out there a ton, he's just never wanted to shoot it until the last few games. He's had two games in the last few weeks where he's hit three 3's. If Uthoff is getting those same looks, he could easily get six or seven 3's up a game.

Frank Kaminski. End of argument. 4s and 5s can spend a good amount of time behind the 3pt line if they have the talent to do so.

There really isn't that many traditional 4(s) in the NBA anymore. Tim Duncan and he is about 160 years old. Randolph is the only other one I could think of. Cousins/Noah are debatable if you consider them traditional 4(s).

Ibaka was, but OKC has turned him into basically a pick and pop guy now too. It's definitely a short list, if you don't have a jumper, you better be able to guard the five spot or else there isn't much use for you in today's NBA.

When they did the ally oop to Uthoff i said "we just caught a glimpse of next year".

Exactly. Uthoff can be more than what he has been this year, he just hasn't had to this year because White/Gabe took care of the alley-oops and garbage putbacks. I'm excited to see what Uthoff does next year because I think its going to be big time.

Seriously, this Thursday count how many times Aaron White receives the ball beyond the 3 point line. I think you're going to be surprised.

I think maybe you are trying to envision one of those guys at the 4 directly replacing White's game, but on the offensive end it's not that diffcult to adjust to take advantage of certain players strengths (ie. Uthoff may play the 4 differently than White). Being able to guard other 4's is probably the more important aspect.

Uthoff, Uhl, Wagner, Hutton and possibly Baer will play the 4 IMO. And when they're in the game together it will be hard to tell who is the 3 and who is the 4...pretty much interchangeable.

I don't think Clemmons and Gesell will both start. I think they will play together as they have this year but I think Fran will want Clemmons coming off the bench...need a senior out there with the young guys in the rotation.

I think the starters in the 1st game will be Gesell, Jok, Uthoff, Uhl and Woodbury. Clemmons will play just as many minutes as the starters. By Big 10 play it could be a freshman in Uhl's spot...not because Uhl can't play but because said freshman is too good to not start.

By Big 10 play it could be a freshman in Uhl's spot...not because Uhl can't play but because said freshman is too good to not start.

That would be awesome. I know White and Basabe were on the all Freshman team but I don't remember the last time Iowa had a Freshman of the year.

Uthoff at the 4, stretches the floor - Big Time. Think Kaminsky. He spreads defenses thin. JU at the 4 will do that as well.

Jok continuing his development, will be better at driving next year, hopefully. That will help as well on the offensive end. He still has some work on the defensive end, he just spaces off too much. But he is improving, and greatly improved over last year.

Uhl's minutes have the chance to spike. I hope he earns it. And I think he will. He plays long, he can easily play some minutes at the 4. Continued improvement and added strength are expected.

Ahmad Wagner & Brandon Hutton will have a great opportunity to play some minutes early. Their development this summer will be huge. Wagner leads his conference in FG % at 64%, and ranks high in rebounds in a very talented team & conference. Not too shabby.

Latest posts