Who Has the Better Coach: Iowa or Iowa State?

When you get down to the bottom it's a young, hungry coach trying to build something, and a old veteran coach who at times seems comfortable with what he has.
Both teams finished with the same record, so does that make them even? Or is Campbell working with less talent make him better?

I want Iowa to find that fiery young coach trying to make a name.

You want Iowa to be the Gophers?

Purdy has been impressive, but he's not really being challenged much.

He's faced OSU (#98 in total defense), WVU (75), TTU (110), Kansas (81), Baylor (79), and Kansas State (73). Texas, who has the second best D in the Big 12, still has the #63 total defense in the nation, and they completely shut that offense down. He's feasting on patsies and throwing jump balls to Butler, but again, when they face a defense (and particularly a defensive line) with a pulse, they shit the bed.

Don't let the annual Cyclone QB Cult fool you, he's very much human.

The deplorable nature of the "defense" in the Big 12 is hard to overstate and renders comparing Iowa vs. Iowa State's offenses an exercise in futility.

Yea development and so far recruiting can't be argued. I think the only thing that's fair to argue is who is a better gameday coach. When he has a less talented squad performing as well as they did, it's impressive. But now that they got some recognition, it'll be interesting to see if they can keep it up next year. Too early to really say.

His games against Texas and Iowa kind of defeat the argument that he's a great gameday coach. Put an even marginally salty defense up against him and suddenly he looks pretty pedestrian. If anyone on Campbell's staff is an upper level gameday talent, it's prolly his DC.

His games against Texas and Iowa kind of defeat the argument that he's a great gameday coach. Put an even marginally salty defense up against him and suddenly he looks pretty pedestrian. If anyone on Campbell's staff is an upper level gameday talent, it's prolly his DC.
Spot on. The fact that ISU has had the best defense in the Big 12 the last few years proves Heacock's importance to Campbell. If I'm him, I do nearly anything to keep him from leaving Ames/wherever Campbell is in 3 years, a la Kirk and Phil Parker.

Actually, West Virginia was ranked #6 in the nation when they lost to ISU 30-14.

Perhaps you prefer to cherry pick the rankings to the defeated team's post-loss ranking, which doesn't make sense. If it did, can't it also be said that Iowa never beat a top 5 opponents in years past, because as soon as Iowa beat them, they too fell in the rankings (i.e. Ohio State's drop last year after the Iowa loss, and Michigan's drop the year before)? Not a strong argument.

Then you support your argument that Campbell doesn't recruit stud skill position players compared with Ferentz's superior recruiting by naming guys that you acknowledge Campbell inherited from the previous coach and calling them busts? I'm not sure that's your best argument either. What does that have to do with Campbell's recruiting?

If you don't think Iowa State's 19 yr old true freshmen QB, who has led his cellar dweller team to a win over a top 10 opponent, a top 25 end of season ranking, and more grit under pressure than 22 year old Stanley is a "stud," then you must not have seen him play.

The running back Campbell recruited is objectively viewed as a stud by everyone in college football, and is pro football focus's #1 running back in college football. Perhaps you disagree? And I haven't even got to their WRs yet. All you have to do is look at 6'6 chiseled Hakeem Butler and wonder why on earth Ferentz hasn't been able to recruit someone like that in 20 years of coaching the Hawks. I'm sorry, but the guy is way more fun to watch than a tight end running a 5 yard crossing pattern. It also looks like Campbell recruited a 6'4 4**** WR out of Ohio last year who will fill Butler's shoes. Ferentz, on the other hand, has filled his holes at the WR position primarily with walk-ons from North and South Dakota. Is it a lack of effort or does Ferentz just prefer such WRs?

At the end of the day, Ferentz can pat himself on the back all day having good tight ends that play in the NFL...but they don't typically win football games like stud WRs do. There's a reason why most college teams barely use fullbacks and tight ends...because they have dynamic WRs and slot backs who they get the ball to regularly.

I've seen Purdy play. He's quite capable against historically awful Big 12 defenses. I've seen him get totally PWN3D by Texas. What I haven't seen him do is throw a touchdown strike with an Ohio State player bear-hugging his lower body, nor have I seen him deliver a laser on 4th and 8 in the driving rain with the game on the line.

I'd take that bet.

Ever been to Alabama?

My sister lives in tuscaloosa, and is a Alabama grad student. The tide has so many geographical advantages over Ames it’s laughable. High school Football south of the mason Dixon line and especially in the Deep South is a different world

When you get down to the bottom it's a young, hungry coach trying to build something, and a old veteran coach who at times seems comfortable with what he has.
Both teams finished with the same record, so does that make them even? Or is Campbell working with less talent make him better?

I want Iowa to find that fiery young coach trying to make a name.

That's exactly what Iowa did back in '99. And now that he's done so you want to kick him to the curb?

How can ferentz not land a top 20 class every year with the money the athletic department has spent on upgrades to the stadium and having a top notch practice facility.? Not to mention every game is televised because of the big ten network to fall back on. There is a huge disconnect there. Iowa st . might be scary good in a few years.
Thanks for stopping by Cy

Campbell just won the Big 12 Coach of the Year for the second year in a row, and he's only been coaching there for 3 years. Here is what he took over:

2013: 3-9
2014: 2-10
2015: 3-9
2016: 3-9 (Campbell's first year)

Obviously, he took over one of the 5 worst programs in college football with the worst recruiting base and facilities in the Big 12, and managed to recruit stud WRs/RBs/QBs and win 8 games this year. They aren't great, but they had huge wins over top 10 ranked opponents in each of the past 3 years.

Ferentz, on the other hand, had the Hawks ranked for a portion of this year and had some good blow out wins against lesser teams. He is the longest tenured coach in college football and coached Iowa to its 4th year in a row with 8 or more wins. He struggles at bringing in flashy skill position players, but his defenses are always top 20, and he puts OL and TE in the NFL.

When it comes down to it, who is the best coach in Iowa? Neither coach recruits top 25 classes, so who does more with less? Honest question. But I'll predict before I "hit" post that by virtue of asking this very basic question some hillbilly on this board will accuse me of being a "cyclone lover."

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...-matt-campbell-iowa-state-coach-year-20181128
Well, if he were our coach we may see a change up at QB other than the anointed sophomore started that is locked in regardless of results.

I'd like to add that Iowa State's record this year is INCREDIBLY hollow.

They have 1 win of note, a dismantling of WVU.

Beyond that, they feasted on the likes of Kansas, Baylor, TT, a very down OSU, Akron, and KSU.

They proved that when they face a legitimate defense they wilt, a la Iowa, TCU, or Texas.

On top of all that is the fact that Campbell is still winless against Kirk, and the fact that he's likely going to lose his two best offensive weapons in Butler (90% of Purdy's game was chucking up jump balls to him) and Montgomery, and that he still hasn't fielded a decent OL, and this is a no-brainer.
Hmmm....sound very similar to Iowa's performance this year. Was ISU our best win perhaps? ;)

You have to appreciate what hes done, it was time for Fry to step down as well at the time
So 1-10 = 8-4 now?
There's a big difference between stagnant and irrelevant. Chasing glory when you have stability and the people making the hire are brainless enough to create drama around their own ranked basketball team is a quick path to Nebby level stupidity.

@IowaLawWasRight are you watching Iowa State and Drake play? Just wanted to see if I understand that “logic” stuff you keep talking about. Since Iowa State is struggling with Drake (The clowns went up 20-14 just before half) Drake’s coach is better than Campbell regardless of whether or not they win, right?

Actually, West Virginia was ranked #6 in the nation when they lost to ISU 30-14.

Perhaps you prefer to cherry pick the rankings to the defeated team's post-loss ranking, which doesn't make sense. If it did, can't it also be said that Iowa never beat a top 5 opponents in years past, because as soon as Iowa beat them, they too fell in the rankings (i.e. Ohio State's drop last year after the Iowa loss, and Michigan's drop the year before)? Not a strong argument.

This is easily one of the dumbest things you've ever posted. A team's ranking at the time they lost is basically irrelevant with the exception of games late in the year. If you beat the 3rd ranked team in the nation early in the season and they end up going 6-6 are you really going to claim you beat the 3rd best team in the country?

Latest posts