Who else isn't sold on Petras still?

I don't understand the reasoning that we just need a 'game manager' at qb that doesn't screw up too much because we always have a good defense. Shouldn't we also have a good offense, with a qb that can actually make plays? That way we don't have to rely on our defense to basically win games for us? For people that were there Saturday, are our receivers completely inept at getting open, or does he just lock on Laporta, and not see guys that are open? I think its pretty clear we are going to miss ISM and Smith. ISM could at least stretch the field, and Smith could at least go up and get a jump ball thrown his way. This year it doesn't look like we have either unless one of the young guys emerges.

Hitting open receivers would be nice. Petras reminds me of a guy I used to play with back in high school, big arm could throw it on a rope for 50 to 60 yards but not too accurate. I think his accuracy can improve. I recall Stanley missing wide open guys all over the place and then he picked Ohio State apart. You got to have faith brother.

I don't understand the reasoning that we just need a 'game manager' at qb that doesn't screw up too much because we always have a good defense. Shouldn't we also have a good offense, with a qb that can actually make plays? That way we don't have to rely on our defense to basically win games for us? For people that were there Saturday, are our receivers completely inept at getting open, or does he just lock on Laporta, and not see guys that are open? I think its pretty clear we are going to miss ISM and Smith. ISM could at least stretch the field, and Smith could at least go up and get a jump ball thrown his way. This year it doesn't look like we have either unless one of the young guys emerges.
Amen... Or you can do both have a good O and good D and beat teams by comfortable margins and play your scrubs in the 4th quarters. I kinda like that too.

Yeah I'm not sold on our receiving core either. Seems like there's not a deep threat. Attempting 1 token deep ball a game (that is incomplete) doesn't keep a defense on their toes. If I were game planning against us I'd have defense focused on everything within 15 yards of the LOS and in. Until we can push the ball down field a few times why would you respect it? I'd focus on Laporta and some of the quick throws we like to do around the LOS and obviously our running game. Teams are easier to defend and game plan for when you're playbook is limited.

You people need to just understand that Phil Parker and his defense are what's going to win or lose ballgames this year and probably next.

Petras doesn't suck, he's just average and fortunately he's just good enough to let Phil do his magic.

I never understood why people are so up in arms about defense being a team's main gig. I mean if we had a top five offense and a ho hum defense no one would say a word, but we've got probably a top 5 defense in the nation and you guys are bitching that Petras isn't Ricky Stanzi. Hate to tell you, but if we had a defense as good as ours and Tate or Stanzi as QB...we'd be OSU. And we ain't that.

Enjoy it. We actually have a legit shot at the West and then it'd be OSU which we ain't winning even if we had Stanzi.

You dorks just blow my mind bitching about the offense when we are one dumb hire or bad season away from being the next Purdue or Illinois. We don't have many years left before Kurt Ferentz leaves and after that there's a greater than 50% chance that we sink back down to the late nineties level again. Soak it in while you can.

This, for the most part, really hits the nail on the head. I remember reading something last month about the most important players on the team, ie the one's we can't afford to lose the most. Petras was #1 or #2, which I don't agree with at all. This team needs it's Oline, RB, and pretty much every player on the defense more than Petras imo. That defense was absolutely epic last Saturday. As good as I've ever seen them, especially right out the gate vs a top 25 team.

And as far as enjoying the "final ride"....yes. Definitely. How do you follow in the footsteps of a legend? It's almost impossible to find a guy to replace a legend like Hayden and we did. Kirk will NEVER be better than Hayden. He could win a natty and still not be Hayden. But how do we replace Kirk? Odds are against it.

And as far as enjoying the "final ride"....yes. Definitely. How do you follow in the footsteps of a legend? It's almost impossible to find a guy to replace a legend like Hayden and we did. Kirk will NEVER be better than Hayden. He could win a natty and still not be Hayden. But how do we replace Kirk? Odds are against it.
I am far from a Ferentz lover, but one thing people can’t deny is that he brings stability. I’ll take the last 10 years over uncertainty any day if the week.

Iowa’s only hope is that KF stays on as AD like what Alvarez did in Wisconsin. Someone who knows football and can still run the program from backstage. Donors would listen to KF about hiring, and he wouldn’t make a dumb hire. Garrie Farta is a complete tool with no football acumen, and the exact opposite of what a guy like Alvarez or KF would bring to a leadership role.

Rewatched the game on TV after going to the game. I have to say Petras was better than he looked live. Except for the two big misses on TD throws and the lack of picking up a couple of blitzes he did OK. I'll upgrade his game to a solid B- instead of a C. He hits one of those TD's or picks up the blitz he goes to an A. Some bad drops as well but he needs to stop putting himself in a 3 and long situation. He will improve but he'll have to. Just is tough to see him so jumpy on so many plays. Calm down your man.

I'll still root for him every game, but as far as my expectation of him being a consistent playmaker, nah, don't see it happening.

I mean, it is what it is at this point. Ferentz & Co have a 20+ year track record showing a distinctive MO in QB recruiting and playtime. Game managers, for the most part. The only exceptions I can think of are Banks, Tate, and Stanzi. Everyone else has seemed a lot more interested in not making a negative play than they are in making something happen out of thin air.

We've won a lot games with "game managers" at the helm. Looks like that's what we've got in the new guy. Hope for the D to give us short fields to work with and the run game to be productive.

Banks - B10 Champions
Tate - B10 Champions
Stanzi- Orange Bowl Champions

I do not follow recruiting closely, but the Zach Wilson, Trey Lance angle on this makes you think about the what if.

Petras wasnt great and will have to get better if we want big things, if he plays like that every game i think we are looking at 7 or 8 wins with our defense and punter. Petras just has to be Trent Dilfer. There will be times that he needs to make a play, hopefully he can in those times.
Petras is in a good spot, good TEs, decent OLine, decent run game. Our defense looks good.
It is hard to get to high on the D after the way they played, honestly they could have had 2 more INTS (Jack Koerner could have had an INT in the redzone and another across the middle of the field that he would have walked into the Endzone).
With the way the game went it is hard to make a read on Petras. Settle down and enjoy the jitters of playing ISU, I hate playing them as there is nothing to gain from winning and lots to lose by losing.
After Game 1: D played well, Offense is slow as usual, easy wins are hard to come by in BigTen games, enjoy it. Dont get to high, dont get to low.

Rewatched the game on TV after going to the game. I have to say Petras was better than he looked live. Except for the two big misses on TD throws and the lack of picking up a couple of blitzes he did OK. I'll upgrade his game to a solid B- instead of a C. He hits one of those TD's or picks up the blitz he goes to an A. Some bad drops as well but he needs to stop putting himself in a 3 and long situation. He will improve but he'll have to. Just is tough to see him so jumpy on so many plays. Calm down your man.
I went to the game and rewatched on TV as well. And I pretty much agree with everything you said. Especially with him being jumpy. His feet really do not get settled when he is standing in the pocket looking down the field.

I am far from a Ferentz lover, but one thing people can’t deny is that he brings stability. I’ll take the last 10 years over uncertainty any day if the week.

Iowa’s only hope is that KF stays on as AD like what Alvarez did in Wisconsin. Someone who knows football and can still run the program from backstage. Donors would listen to KF about hiring, and he wouldn’t make a dumb hire. Garrie Farta is a complete tool with no football acumen, and the exact opposite of what a guy like Alvarez or KF would bring to a leadership role.
If this what if scenario played out would KF hire anyone other then his kid for the HC job? I tend to doubt it and I'm not so sure how that'd go over. Even in another two three or four years. I guess a lot can change in that kind of time but at the moment I think there'd be some pushback on hiring BF for it.

It'd be nice to have KF be involved with the program whenever he hangs it up and I could be wrong but he doesn't seem to be the AD type. There's so much that goes into that job that I feel like he isn't all about wanting to do. Barta is really good at the raising money part of the job. He knows how to rub shoulders and squeeze $ out of folks. I'm not sure KF would be all about that. I could be wrong though time will tell

If this what if scenario played out would KF hire anyone other then his kid for the HC job? I tend to doubt it and I'm not so sure how that'd go over. Even in another two three or four years. I guess a lot can change in that kind of time but at the moment I think there'd be some pushback on hiring BF for it.

It'd be nice to have KF be involved with the program whenever he hangs it up and I could be wrong but he doesn't seem to be the AD type. There's so much that goes into that job that I feel like he isn't all about wanting to do. Barta is really good at the raising money part of the job. He knows how to rub shoulders and squeeze $ out of folks. I'm not sure KF would be all about that. I could be wrong though time will tell
I don't think Kirk would be up for that type of job but I also don't think it'd be a bad thing to get his kid hired in there. He'd run things pretty much like dad I'd imagine, and in today's coaching market anyone you hire is a 50/50 dice roll. The next guy we hire could be the next Scott Frost and I don't want that.

I'll take another 30 years of what we have right now any day over hiring some dork coordinator somewhere and just praying to Dog that he doesn't blow.

I don't think Kirk would be up for that type of job but I also don't think it'd be a bad thing to get his kid hired in there. He'd run things pretty much like dad I'd imagine, and in today's coaching market anyone you hire is a 50/50 dice roll. The next guy we hire could be the next Scott Frost and I don't want that.

I'll take another 30 years of what we have right now any day over hiring some dork coordinator somewhere and just praying to Dog that he doesn't blow.
Yeah gun to my head you tell me our next coach is BF or the field I'd lean towards rather having him. The unknown with how coaches are now is a major coin flip. The main negative I'd see with hiring BF would be the splintering of the fan base to a degree. He'd have to win early and often to win em over.

BF wouldn't try to spring board to another gig after 3 or 4 yrs he'd most likely be around as long as he could. Remember he was mostly raised in IC played HS college married his wife from there. It's all he knows beyond his short stint with Belicheat in NE.

He's not his dad in a lot of ways he would be different with the media along with other things but I don't think they'd be all bad either. Just different.

I just really don't want to get into a cycle of hiring and either losing or firing coaches every 3-6 yrs. That could turn us into NE or IL fairly fast..

Do you believe the racial upheaval that happened is over? I know fingers were pointed at BF but nothing (to my knowledge) happened. I personally think he would be a good coach and keep the train on the tracks.

Yeah gun to my head you tell me our next coach is BF or the field I'd lean towards rather having him. The unknown with how coaches are now is a major coin flip. The main negative I'd see with hiring BF would be the splintering of the fan base to a degree. He'd have to win early and often to win em over.

BF wouldn't try to spring board to another gig after 3 or 4 yrs he'd most likely be around as long as he could. Remember he was mostly raised in IC played HS college married his wife from there. It's all he knows beyond his short stint with Belicheat in NE.

He's not his dad in a lot of ways he would be different with the media along with other things but I don't think they'd be all bad either. Just different.

I just really don't want to get into a cycle of hiring and either losing or firing coaches every 3-6 yrs. That could turn us into NE or IL fairly fast..
If BF got the job he'd be here for another 30 years.

I think a lot of his differences are due to being young. We were all young and cocky in our early years and I think he'd mellow out like anyone else. He's certainly gotten his wings clipped with the temper tantrum fallout and the stuff from last summer.

Call me crazy, but I truly think that the more important hire in the near future is the DC spot. I hope to god that Phil stays until retirement and he and KF both have a say in who the next guy is. My vote is LeVar Woods but I don't get a say in the matter.

Petras fits right in to the Kirk philosophy on QB play. Play within yourself don't turn it over. Could you envision Adrian Martinez as Kirks' QB? No you can't and neither can I. Just don't turn it over Saturday, hit the gimmes, let T Good grind out yards and play solid D. This is the Kirk way. Let Iowa State make the errors
But. KFs best teams don't fit that mold and replace the manager.

Missing wide open receivers happen. When it happens a lot because of lack of fundamentals how are those not mistakes?

I didn't watch Iowa's game on Saturday, but I listened to Jeff Woody who is a former ISU player who does some podcasts and he thought Petras played well on Saturday. He certainly wasn't critical of him at all and thought he did exactly what he should have been doing.
If I was ISU leaning I would hope Petras plays the same tomorrow.

If BF got the job he'd be here for another 30 years.

I think a lot of his differences are due to being young. We were all young and cocky in our early years and I think he'd mellow out like anyone else. He's certainly gotten his wings clipped with the temper tantrum fallout and the stuff from last summer.

Call me crazy, but I truly think that the more important hire in the near future is the DC spot. I hope to god that Phil stays until retirement and he and KF both have a say in who the next guy is. My vote is LeVar Woods but I don't get a say in the matter.
Yeah how long in the tooth is PP? My best guess is his last day will also be KFs they'll probably go out holding hands. As they should if they want. It'd be the end of an era to say the least whenever that day comes so we'll see. Woods has been grooming to climb the ladder for awhile I would say. He's been in IC for quite awhile now having coached multiple position groups. I'd have zero hesitation with him getting first shot at it. We are probably lucky he's stayed in IC as long as he has. He has a handful of kiddos I think and has been happy to call IC home to raise them

But. KFs best teams don't fit that mold and replace. the manager.

Missing wide open receivers happen. When it happens a lot because of lack of fundamentals how are those not mistakes?
Consistently missing receivers who are open really isn't a mistake. I would say it's a lack of execution, or talent, and the ability to throw the ball to a spot where the receiver is going to end up. I didn't watch Petras footwork, but if he's missing guys consistently that's probably where it's starting. That might be mincing words on the mistake thing but I see a mistake as throwing an out pattern and the play was designed as something else.

Yeah how long in the tooth is PP? My best guess is his last day will also be KFs they'll probably go out holding hands. As they should if they want. It'd be the end of an era to say the least whenever that day comes so we'll see. Woods has been grooming to climb the ladder for awhile I would say. He's been in IC for quite awhile now having coached multiple position groups. I'd have zero hesitation with him getting first shot at it. We are probably lucky he's stayed in IC as long as he has. He has a handful of kiddos I think and has been happy to call IC home to raise them
Played against Woods in high school, and out of him, Naatjes, and Vanden Bosch he was the only one who wasn't a raging doucher.

Woods was never anything remotely resembling cocky or arrogant, and he was super soft spoken. Still is if you see his interviews. Hard to explain, you can tell somehow when you meet someone that they're 100% in control of their emotions, what they say, what they do, etc...That's the type of person I could get behind as a coordinator. Hell, maybe he'd even be a candidate for HC somewhere some day. I hope if he is it's Iowa.

Latest posts