Who else isn't sold on Petras still?

Hawkfnntn

I dunno but the guy doesn't have that 'it'. When it comes to hitting the layups he still misses way too many. The throws he missed to Tracy and IKM were inexcusable for a D1 QB. Now granted he had like 4 or 5 legit drops in this game which woulda made a big difference considering a couple of those were on 3rd downs that woulda kept drives going. So I'm trying to be fair with my take on him. But he's just not going to make many big plays. It looks like he's going to frustrate us by missing on makeable plays too often. Now if he can continue to not throw picks then we may be able to do well despite him. But that would be the final straw...

The reason Stanzi was able to overcome his interceptions was all the studs he had around him on O and he made several big plays. Petras won't have that luxury. He does have an other worldly defense behind him it looks like so if he doesn't turn it over and just plays solid ball I like our chances at a great year

I'm not totally sold on our receiving corp either. So that's where he needs to be really good to help elevate them. But that can be another topic.

Nobody in the B1G West has a qb so I guess that is good news. Not optimistic about the Iowa O.

The D and the punting game can give you some short fields along with Charlie Jones breaking off a few punt returns. That will set it up where Petras and the Iowa O doesn’t have to do much.

Nobody will put a 30 burger on the D unless the offense turns it over a bunch so they will be in every game. Imo, they can win 8,9,10 games with Petras being serviceable.

Nobody in the B1G West has a qb so I guess that is good news. Not optimistic about the Iowa O.

The D and the punting game can give you some short fields along with Charlie Jones breaking off a few punt returns. That will set it up where Petras and the Iowa O doesn’t have to do much.

Nobody will put a 30 burger on the D unless the offense turns it over a bunch so they will be in every game. Imo, they can win 8,9,10 games with Petras being serviceable.
Serviceable pretty much sums it up. He just needs to keep defenses honest and, as you said, keep Turnovers to a minimum and we will be fine.

I’m afraid to voice my opinion here, too many damn sunshine pumpers. Iowa won so I guess that’s all that matters and we shouldn’t criticize anything.

This smells of a repeat of 2007. Ferentz is always loyal to seniority not talent. Petras is the definition of MEH. There has to be someone better behind him.

This smells of a repeat of 2007. Ferentz is always loyal to seniority not talent. Petras is the definition of MEH. There has to be someone better behind him.

It won’t be a repeat of 2007. They will win 8+ games this year.

I think you are seeing what he is. In another threat I made the comment about hoping he would be an elite game manager.

That was him today. 2 bad throws aside, he would have completed almost 60%. and when the O line gels and the defense keeps dominating you are going to see a dude that is 12-0 with 3000 yard and a 59% completion rate 24 TDs and 6 INTs, you will be very happy.

WAY(!) too early to make a judgment. Sure he had a couple of missed bunnies, how many QBs don't? There were some drops that were on the money as well. I don't think I'd swap his performance for the more hyped Hoosier QB's.

What about Goodson? Take away his big run and he had a pretty underwhelming performance. Anyone picking him apart?

The HAWKS just destroyed a top twenty team. Why not just enjoy it and not bemoan the fact not everyone played their best, they didn't even have to! And think what can happen when they do.

First half: I thought he looked solid, not great. Balls were accurate with appropriate velocity. A few misses, a few drops that ended drives. His decision making seemed good, and of course conservative. His mobility actually seemed quite qood to me. Overall, B-

2nd half: a couple bad passes and missed on an easy TD to Tracy and a late throw to Goodson in flat. Overthrew 1 deep one but took a hit. Missed a few open throws.. Ultra conservative but he didn't need to do much. C-/D+

I saw enough positive and improvement to at least give a another game or two. 5-6 drive killing drops hurt his % and yardage...as did missing on a sure 50 yard TD to Tracy.

C+ all things considered. That gets us 7-8 wins. If he can get to B grade level...that gets us 9-10+.

Teams will load on the run and Goodson until we get more going.

I'm hoping having the quick 3 score lead really played into playcalling him not throwing downfield more. would have liked to see 2-3 more shots, just for in game practice.

I feel like he's better with quick releases, get him comfortable.

I feel like he only has to be an above avg qb for Hawks to be a solid top 15 team and in the run for B1G West run. I still believe he can be that.

I can be very comically critical (as you all know lol) but I'm giving Petras a break. First game, a conference game, a ranked conference opponent......I have seen far worse Qbing in this spot out of past Iowa Qbs. From what I saw yesterday, the line between game manager and a difference maker is narrowing. Get some more timing things figured out and maybe real good things can come from Petras and his receivers. Just hopefully he does not regress (or better word maybe crumble) playing in front of hostile crowds this year.

And, not to forget, the offense did not really have to make a lot of things happen in the 2nd half.

The last Iowa QB who could win a game for us IMO was Stanzi.

And before him, you'd have to go back to Long, Hartlieb, Rogers.

The last Iowa QB who could win a game for us IMO was Stanzi.

And before him, you'd have to go back to Long, Hartlieb, Rogers.
Maybe a healthy Drew Tate and Beathard as well, but yes, I would agree, those above 4 players really had it.

Maybe a healthy Drew Tate and Beathard as well, but yes, I would agree, those above 4 players really had it.

A healthy Beathard was a game winner. Tate digressed his last two years IMO. 90% of Iowa QBs through the years were game managers. Brad Banks could win a game.

I dunno but the guy doesn't have that 'it'. When it comes to hitting the layups he still misses way too many. The throws he missed to Tracy and IKM were inexcusable for a D1 QB. Now granted he had like 4 or 5 legit drops in this game which woulda made a big difference considering a couple of those were on 3rd downs that woulda kept drives going. So I'm trying to be fair with my take on him. But he's just not going to make many big plays. It looks like he's going to frustrate us by missing on makeable plays too often. Now if he can continue to not throw picks then we may be able to do well despite him. But that would be the final straw...

The reason Stanzi was able to overcome his interceptions was all the studs he had around him on O and he made several big plays. Petras won't have that luxury. He does have an other worldly defense behind him it looks like so if he doesn't turn it over and just plays solid ball I like our chances at a great year

I'm not totally sold on our receiving corp either. So that's where he needs to be really good to help elevate them. But that can be another topic.
He’s clearly the best QB we have on the roster right now so I hope he plays every snap the rest the of the season. I would also say that he is a better QB than all other teams in the West with the possible exception of the gopher QB. Martz at Wisconsin stinks.

I think the rest of our offense is very good so he simply has to manage the team. He reminds me of Bohannon in 1981; good but not great.

Our defense, on the other hand, is elite. I think we are the best team in the West, but we gotta prove it.

He is a 6'5" 230 lb QB. His mobility will always be in contention. The real question is if O'Keefe can teach the dude to rotate his hips.

What and you thought Padilla looked good and ready to go?

Petras was best in the first half and led the offense to 17 points even with some drops and dumps out of bounds.

What the F do you want?

Edit: Last year Petras looked rough the first 2 games. His right tackle in the Purdue game had a bad 2nd half and Petras was under pressure a lot. Fitzie got jNW to shut down our run game in the 2nd half and Petras had 3 picks I think.

But he got much better as the year went along throwing to tight windows to the TEnds and receivers, throwing better, leading dump off passes.

We are due to lose to ISU this year or soon but I think we have some talented receivers who can get separation and get open.

Will ISU's junk 3-4 with blitzing give our OLine and Petras problems? could be

Last edited: