Who did we play your first time at Kinnick?

Michigan. I think it was '94. I was just a kid then so the entire family spent that Friday night in the Amana Colonies. We then were up early and tailgating on Melrose Ave. Despite the lose, it was a great day! I'll never forget it.

1984 - Indiana. Destroyed the Sam Wyche-coached Hoosiers. Wyche took the team to midfield at the end of the game to teach them a lesson about getting their butts kicked. I have a great photo of a Scott Halverson over-the-shoulder TD catch in the corner of the South Endzone.

That was my first game as well, but I believe it was in 1983. IIRC Dave Moritz set a school record for receiving yards in a game (it was over 200).

Hawkeye fan since I was very young. My parents weren't big fans, but my cousins were. I finally made it to Kinnick in '07 vs. Syracuse. I hope to return this year, probably won't be a big game, Ball State is likely.

I was a huge Tim Dwight fan and when he was a freshmen in 94 I went to my first Iowa Hawkeye game against Northwestern! The Hawks rolled the Cats 49-13. The cats had Darnell Autry as there running back, he was pretty much their only stud. I was 12 years old at the time. The last game I was at was this past year against Minny, since I live in Minny now we have gone to the Floyd of Rosedale games for braggin rights...

1977 Iowa beating ISU in the renewal game of the series. Only missed 3 of those games since regardless of location.

Illinois in the 90's. Don't remember what year for sure but I think it was homecoming and Illinois had a good team. We beat em and tore down the goalposts.

UCLA, Sept. 21, 1974. The first victory (21-10) under new coach Bob Commings. As creeksider said a couple pages ago, God Bless Hayden.

Last edited:
I don't remember because I've been going to games since I was about 2 or 3, but the game I can remember was a Minnesota game in the late 90's. A goofer fan was yelling "Go Gophers" in the tailgate parking lot so I yelled back "Go Hawkeyes." I was about 5 or 6 at the time. I can truly say that I've been a Hawkeye for as long as i can remember! Go Hawks!

Ohio State in 1996. My first time in Kinnick was for the 1992 spring scrimmage. I've been watching the games on TV for as long as I can remember.

October 4, 1980 versus Arizona....5-3 loss. Was my freshman year of college. Drove my folks Buick LeSabre with two of my buddies and a keg of beer in the back seat. Walked in to some dorm and there were girls walking around going to the showers...co-ed dorms. OH MY...why didn't I go to Iowa. Remember sitting in the student section I believe in the northwest corner in the student section and every 10 minutes somebody passed a joint down the line....oh to be young.

In the mid-late 90's my Boy Scout troop would go up and usher the south endzone. Got there a hour or so before the gates opened and could walk out onto the field. Then after kickoff we could go find a seat... there were plenty available in those years of only a couple wins per season.

October 4, 1980 versus Arizona....5-3 loss. Was my freshman year of college. Drove my folks Buick LeSabre with two of my buddies and a keg of beer in the back seat. Walked in to some dorm and there were girls walking around going to the showers...co-ed dorms. OH MY...why didn't I go to Iowa. Remember sitting in the student section I believe in the northwest corner in the student section and every 10 minutes somebody passed a joint down the line....oh to be young.

Before the current renovation, the student section was the "J" section....appropriately named I'd say.

Latest posts