Who Dick Vatale thinks Iowa should take..

gohawkz

Just saw them talking on tv and they were talking about everyone with coaching vacancies.

He quickly went down the list saying who he thinks each team should take.

They didn't talk about Iowa other then Vatale saying, "I've got a guy for Iowa, Steve Lavin."

Of course I know it's Dick Vitale, not a huge fan and doesn't mean there's any interest from either side, just passing along the what he said.

Last edited:
Just saw them talking on tv and they were talking about everyone with coaching vacancies.

They didn't talk about Iowa other then Vatale saying, "I've got a guy for Iowa, Steve Lavin."

Of course I know it's Dick Vitale, not a huge fan and doesn't mean there's any interest from either side, just passing along the what he said.

puking.jpg

I figured he would have wanted Collins to be the coach since he has such a love affair with everything Duke.

FOR THE 1ST TIME...........Dick V didn't make me want to hurl, and I actually agree with him!!!

Met DV quite by accident during breakfast in Sarasota. My girlfriend took me there for my 50th and while I was drinking my coffee I mentioned to her that, that was DV sitting over in the corner holding court. He is a much more likable guy in person than his on air character. Charming, engaging, friendly and was handing out autographed posters of some big chested woman. Come to think of it might have been that poster that made everything seem better.

I figured he would have wanted Collins to be the coach since he has such a love affair with everything Duke.

If an assistant towel boy from Duke even considered coming to Iowa Vitale's head would explode. Why would anyone who has tasted the champagne that is Duke even consider coming to Iowa where the best you can hope for is the Champagne of Beers.

Plus we don't punish athletes who are accused rapists up here...I heard from a very good source that Duke takes that kind of thing much more seriously.

I will say this Lavin is a much better choice then Forbes/Barbee combined.

Throw-up over this Drake-Trust me you can't. Lavin can flat out coach and recruit. He would be a great addition..
Steve Lavin (145-78)
1996–97 UCLA Elite Eight
1997–98 UCLA Sweet Sixteen
1998–99 UCLA Round of 64
1999–00 UCLA Sweet Sixteen
2000–01 UCLA Sweet Sixteen
2001–02 UCLA Sweet Sixteen
2002–03 UCLA None

Lavin's coaching career began in 1988 when he was hired as an assistant by legendary Big Ten Purdue head coach Gene Keady. After three years of picking up valuable experience on the Boilermaker’s staff, Lavin was offered an opportunity to come back west when UCLA head coach Jim Harrick hired him as a Bruin assistant in 1991. Lavin was an assistant coach on the Bruins 1995 National Championship team that finished with a 32-1 record.

Lavin’s record in the first and second rounds of the NCAA tournament is 10-1. Lavin’s winning percentage (90.9%) in the first two rounds, is second only to Dean Smith in NCAA Tournament history.

Iowa needs a hire like this. He is proven to be successful. I'm tired of the experiments.. If we can get someone like Pearl, Dixon, Wright.

I want Lavin... No question!!!

Last edited:
I have always been impressed with Lavin and followed closely as UCLA is my fall back fav team after the Hawks.... he did a great job with them. I don't think he has much of a chance at the job but I would not be unhappy if he was named coach....

I like Lavin. I think he would be a good fit here.

Lavin has not coached in 7 YEARS!! We need someone with recent and current recruiting connections and Head coaching experience. Yea he looks great on T.V. and has a great resume but there are 10+ other choices(realistic) who we can get that are currently out on the recruiting trails and are coaching now.

Yes, Jon, I do wonder why he's been out of coaching so long. It seems like there must be something that ADs know that we don't.

Latest posts