Who Dick Vatale thinks Iowa should take..

There seem to be some years missing. You stopped at 2003? If he is such a good coach can you post his numbers from 2003 on????

If he was such a good coach?????? Seriously ECC please give me a break.. Those stats show a solid coach.

Everyone on here can talk and talk about not coaching in the last 7 years. Bring me some information on why they we can talk..

1996–97 UCLA Elite Eight
1997–98 UCLA Sweet Sixteen
1998–99 UCLA Round of 64
1999–00 UCLA Sweet Sixteen
2000–01 UCLA Sweet Sixteen
2001–02 UCLA Sweet Sixteen
2002–03 UCLA None

That's the best he could do with one of the biggest, most storied programs ever? How many schools have won more national championships that UCLA? Not many. That would be a stellar record with the talent one could get at Iowa, but he did that at UCLA! U-C-Freaking-L-A! And he was FIRED for it. How badly does he get Iowa talent to underperform?

Okay so show me what the other UCLA Coaches have done since John Wooden left...

Let's compare then. You talk bring the info..

UCLA has the most national championships at 11, the latest in 1995, only five years before lavin took over. The next highest is Kentucky with 7. It is the biggest program in NCAA history that is, not close to the hotbed of recruiting, southern California, but right smack dab in the middle of it. Sweet sixteens aren't nearly as impressive in that context. The UCLA fans and AD's office certainly were not impressed.

Just because you are "good" enough to get UCLA to the tournament, certainly doesn't mean you are good enough to get Iowa there.

Don't you wonder why he has been out of the game so long?
I'm guessing it's because he loves his job with ESPN. Little stress, travel, TV exposure probably are all pluses. He seems to like what he does.

I'd take him in a second for the next coach. Being on ESPN is a big recruiting tool right there.

Why has Barry Melrose been out of coaching as long as he has been out of coaching? Lavin has done really well as a sports, commentator/celebrity, his wife has been trying to break into the acting thing. Has had some one shot roles here and there.

The celebrity thing would have helped the wife's career. But she is from Flint, Michigan and she might be ready to stop the audition circuit and, who knows?

I don't think Lavin would be a long-term solution, but he might not be a bad hire while you also hire his replacement, ala Mr. Davis and Keno, Huggins and Martin, etc.

If you read below, I don't think Barry Melrose helps your point. You will see why he has been out of the game.

The Tampa Bay Lightning fired Barry Melrose after just 16 games in his return behind the bench, Nov. 2008.

At the start of this proces money was no object and if we were willing to throw 2.5 mil at Pearl, he would listen. Now that all seams to have gone in the crapper (although I still hold on to my unrealistic dream that he takes the job).

I didn't like the Lavin idea at first, but it seems we're down to asst coaches and mid-majors and I'm warming up to the idea. He's got charisma and would be a good recruiter.

So...

Don't dismess the Lavin discussion!

Iowa ain't UCLA. Show me a coach that has a record of taking over a down program, building it and eventually taking it to The Dance (who also plays an up-temo style) and I will take more notice than I do of a coach who takes over a glamour program to only get it to underperform.

Last edited:
At the start of this proces money was no object and if we were willing to throw 2.5 mil at Pearl, he would listen. Now that all seams to have gone in the crapper (although I still hold on to my unrealistic dream that he takes the job).

I didn't like the Lavin idea at first, but it seems we're down to asst coaches and mid-majors and I'm warming up to the idea. He's got charisma and would be a good recruiter.

So...

Don't dismess the Lavin discussion!

This is the only reason I'm liking the Lavin Discussion as well. I'm just not sold on the idea of the names that are being mentioned.

Do I love Lavin. Hardly. I do think if we comparing the people like Forbes/Barbee/Pastner to Lavin. Lavin's who I would take and it's not even close..

Iowa ain't UCLA. Show me a coach that has a record of taking over a down program, building it and eventually taking it to The Dance (who also plays an up-temo style) and I will take more notice than do of a coach who takes over a glamour program to only get it to underperform.

What Coach is coming to Iowa that fits the above UPS?

Do you think Forbes/Barbee/Pastner have proven they can do it?

Lavin has a track record of being a successful Coach and Recruiter at the Highest level..

Let's also Keep in mind that since Wooden left 35 years ago. UCLA has won 1 National Championship. UCLA isn't what it once was. I hardly would classify what Lavin did at UCLA as underpreforming...

From 1980 to 1992- UCLA Didn't make it past the second round and made it to tourny just 4 times..

So tell me is Ben Howland a good coach?? UCLA ended the year 14-18? Would you take Ben Howland?

Last edited:

Lavin's successor, Ben Howland, has gotten three UCLA teams to the Final Four, one of which getting to the NC game.

Lavin's successor, Ben Howland, has gotten three UCLA teams to the Final Four, one of which getting to the NC game.

Is that good enough just getting there? Fast forward 4 years and he finished 14-18?

Quite honestly if you look at things Harrick/Lavin brought this program back to life..

What Coach is coming to Iowa that fits the above UPS?

Do you think Forbes/Barbee/Pastner have proven they can do it?

Lavin has a track record of being a successful Coach and Recruiter at the Highest level..

Let's also Keep in mind that since Wooden left 35 years ago. UCLA has won 1 National Championship. UCLA isn't what it once was. I hardly would classify what Lavin did at UCLA as underpreforming...

From 1980 to 1992- UCLA Didn't make it past the second round and made it to tourny just 4 times..

So tell me is Ben Howland a good coach?? UCLA ended the year 14-18? Would you take Ben Howland?

I didn't say that was my criteria, only that I would be more impressed by it. I don't want either Lavin or Howland. My main objection to Lavin, though, is the same as Jon's. He has been campaigning for every good job that has opened up since he was canned by UCLA and yet he is still a broadcaster today, not a coach. That makes me really nervous. If he is so accomplished and proven, why will AD's not touch him with a 10 foot pole? I don't know. It's not worth the risk, though, with other very good prospects out there.

I didn't say that was my criteria, only that I would be more impressed by it. I don't want either Lavin or Howland. My main onjection to Lavin, though, is the same as Jon's. He has been campaigning for every good job that has opened since he was canned by UCLA and yet he is still a broadcaster today, not a coach. That makes me really nervous. If he is so accomplished and proven, why will AD's not touch him with a 10 foot pole? I don'y know. Your right you do not know!!!! It's not worth the risk, though, with other very good prospects out there.

This is a completely false statement and Jon never said such a thing that Lavin was out campaigning every year.. I will leave it at that. You want to lie about something or about someone to better your position. Go right ahead. :mad:

If Lavin was out campaigning you would hear about it and TRUST me if Lavin wanted to Coach he would be... That is a fact!!!!!!! I've seen coaches hired that have been given 3rd and 4th opportunities that they should have been given. Give me a break!

Last edited:
Is that good enough just getting there? Fast forward 4 years and he finished 14-18?

Quite honestly if you look at things Harrick/Lavin brought this program back to life..

I'm not the one who is arguing that a coach's record at UCLA qualifies you as a good fit at Iowa. I would not hire either coach at Iowa.

I'm looking at different criteria than how well a coach did at a school that is about as different from Iowa as a school can be:

UCLA: 11 National championships, Iowa: none
UCLA: In the middle of a fertile recruiting area, Iowa: Ah... not.
UCLA: Legendary reputation in Basketball, Iowa: Not so much
UCLA: Warm and sunny nearly 365 days a year, Iowa: Its nice when school is out, does that count?
UCLA: Los Angeles, movie stars, beaches, Lakers, SoCal excitement, Iowa: Corn, hogs, Coral Ridge Mall (Hey, Scheels is COOL!)
UCLA: Pac Ten, not so tough a league in BB, Iowa: Big Ten, a tough row to hoe

Iowa and UCLA are such different schools that perceived success at one can not be compared with the other.

I'm not the one who is arguing that a coach's record at UCLA qualifies you as a good fit at Iowa. I would not hire either coach at Iowa.

I'm looking at different criteria than how well a coach did at a school that is about as different from Iowa as a school can be:

UCLA: Warm and sunny nearly 365 days a year, Iowa: Its nice when school is out, does that count?
UCLA: Los Angeles, movie stars, beaches, Lakers, SoCal excitement, Iowa: Corn, hogs, Coral Ridge Mall (Hey, Scheels is COOL!)

Iowa and UCLA are such different schools that perceived success at one can not be compared with the other.

You are making a point that can be made about any coach at any school!!!!

This is a completely false statement and Jon never said such a thing that Lavin was out campaigning every year.. I will leave it at that. You want to lie about something or about someone to better your position. Go right ahead. :mad:

If Lavin was out campaigning you would hear about it and TRUST me if Lavin wanted to Coach he would be... That is a fact!!!!!!! I've seen coaches hired that have been given 3rd and 4th opportunities that they should have been given. Give me a break!

Jon has said on the radio that Lavin has campaigned behind the scenes for all the big openings.

If Lavin wanted to coach at a mid major or lower he would be. That is a fact. The bigger programs don't want him.

BTW, why are you getting so riled up by this? Is Lavin your uncle or something?

No disrespect UP but quit reading into my posts and inserting things..

I'm not saying just because your successful at UCLA you can be successful at Iowa.

The difference between recruiting to Iowa and recruiting to UCLA is like the difference between trying to get your kid in the car to go to Grandma's house and trying to get your kid in the car to go to Disneyland. Getting your kid excited about going to Disneyland doesn't prove that you're a persuasive parent. It only proves that kids love Disneyland.

Jon has said on the radio that Lavin has campaigned behind the scenes for all the big openings.

If Lavin wanted to coach at a mid major or lower he would be. That is a fact. The bigger programs don't want him.

BTW, why are you getting so riled up by this? Is Lavin your uncle or something?

For the record Jon said only this:
JonDMiller
Publisher/Founder

reputation_pos.gif

Re: Who Dick Vatale thinks Iowa should take..
Don't you wonder why he has been out of the game so long?
twitter.com/hawkeyenation
facebook.com/hawkeyenation

You are making a point that can be made about any coach at any school!!!!

Not true. Building a program like Nebraska or Colorado into a winner would have a lot more to say about what they could potentially do at Iowa than what someone did a UCLA. UCLA is simply in a totally different universe than Iowa is in, as far as coaching basketball goes. I would bet a large sum of money that Todd Lickliter would do very well if he were at UCLA. He would be able to get the athletes to make his system work there.

It isn't simply how good of a coach you are. Todd Lickliter is a good coach. You also have to be a GOOD FIT at the program.

I am NOT SAYING that Steve Lavin COULDN'T be successful at Iowa. I am saying that what he did at UCLA says nothing about what he could do at Iowa. Its apples and oranges.

His 7 year layoff also makes me nervous. He's not worth the risk when there are as good or better prospects to yet be looked at.

Latest posts