Where were you when "The Catch" happened

Home, went from screaming OMG, hike the ball...to...absolute euphoria.

It's weird watching that sequence now considering all the game management issues we've seen since...Thank God for Drew and Warren!

I was watching with my Dad. He was pretty sick, but very much into the game. After LSU scored their final TD, I threw a little tantrum. He told me to calm down because somehow, someway Iowa was going to win the game. I laughed at him. Then Tate threw the famous pass and he just smiled at me and said, "Told you so, dummy." He died a few months after that game. That was the last bowl game I ever watched with him. What a great memory of a great day with my father.

This story wins.

You should consider laying out the events in a few pages, and getting it published as a short story.

Warren Holloway is this week's Hawkeyenation "Where are they now" (You can read the article here: http://hawkeyenation.com/2015/warren-holloway)

The former Iowa receiver said the most gratifying part of "The Catch" is being able to hear stories from fans about what they were doing at the time of that game-winning play.

Share your story -- Where were you when "The Catch" happened?
My Basement. Watching on new HD big projection TV (fancy just a decade ago)with my family and the family of one of our 2002 great Olineman. I jumped over the coffee table and scraped the knuckles on each hand on the ceiling(felt it, and saw the blood a few minutes later). Daughters jumping on the furniture, all 8 of us were going crazy, hugging...pandemonium. My Vizsla freaked and ran to a corner shaking and ****** all over the carpet.

Called my dad an hour later, he was watching in AZ. Told me the following day his stomach and back were hurtingwhile watching the game. Cancer we thought was under control metastasized to his liver...died 1/29. It was the last Hawkeye game he saw and we talked about.

I was in Mahmudiyah, Iraq with a bunch of Marines from Iowa and the midwest. There was also a National Guard unit from the south somewhere that was taunting us towards the end of the game. The Iowa boys had a wild celebration and by the time we had cooled down the National Guard guys had already tucked their tail and left the tent.

I was in my best friend's living room in Eldon, MO. He runs a regional sound company and I was down there helping him out by running one of the six or seven New Year's Eve gigs he had picked up in Columbia. We didn't get to bed until around 4 am. I got up just in time to watch the game. I remember that Bruce's wife Debbie sat down late in the fourth quarter and said something about how it didn't look good for the Hawks. Bruce was standing there eating a bowl of cereal and Deb started to condole me as they were lining up for the last play, then it happened! Nobody could believe it and wanted to see it again. I remember we got one replay and then the network switched to another game. I got into my car and listened to the post game show on the drive home.

It was really weird at the time. The last 20-30 seconds was mass confusion it seemed. The ball was finally hiked with about 9 sec left. I wouldn't classify it as a hell Mary.

When watching I remember seeing Tate notice something downfield. When he let the ball out it was on a more direct line than a hell Mary so I knew he must have seen something. There was a feeling of hope I had when it left his hand, but I didn't know of the outcome or how probable it was, it was just the way he set up and released I knew he saw something. When it came out as a throw downfield & not a hell Mary it gave me hope & it was answered. That's what I remember the most.

You could tell he adjusted his throw mid release too. He took just a little off the pass right before he let the ball go.

My Basement. Watching on new HD big projection TV (fancy just a decade ago)with my family and the family of one of our 2002 great Olineman. I jumped over the coffee table and scraped the knuckles on each hand on the ceiling(felt it, and saw the blood a few minutes later). Daughters jumping on the furniture, all 8 of us were going crazy, hugging...pandemonium. My Vizsla freaked and ran to a corner shaking and ****** all over the carpet.

Called my dad an hour later, he was watching in AZ. Told me the following day his stomach and back were hurtingwhile watching the game. Cancer we thought was under control metastasized to his liver...died 1/29. It was the last Hawkeye game he saw and we talked about.

I scraped my knuckles on my ceiling when Recker made a last second shot against Indiana in the Big 10 tournament. It was his second buzzer beater in a row. I also didn't know I did it until a few minutes later.

I was at 3 Bag in West Des Moines. The place exploded. Maybe the most fun I ever had at a bar watching a game.

3 Bag was by far the best bar to watch Iowa games that I've ever been to. I'm still bummed that it closed. I was there for the Clayborn blocked punt against Penn State.

I had the first row, corner seat, closest to the end zone that Holloway caught that pass.
My wife was seated next to me, and she couldn't believe I cried at that game, but not at our wedding.

Warren Holloway is this week's Hawkeyenation "Where are they now" (You can read the article here: http://hawkeyenation.com/2015/warren-holloway)

The former Iowa receiver said the most gratifying part of "The Catch" is being able to hear stories from fans about what they were doing at the time of that game-winning play.

Share your story -- Where were you when "The Catch" happened?

Row 34, on Iowa side, 10 yard-line-ish, across the field from where he caught it.

Student section, opposite endzone. Best sporting event I've ever attended. Hugged people I didn't even know, fell down 3 rows of bleachers. So cool looking to the left and seeing the entire side of the stands blowing up, hats, cups, random crap flying through the air and looking to the right and seeing the entire side completely silent. So much fun.

Haha same as most of the above (20 yard line, opposite end of field)....had *completely* lost my voice when Simmons scored to put Hawks up 24-12.

I simply fell backwards into the teeming Iowa crowd and got jostled by the mosh pit.

While I didn't fall down any bleachers, I high-fived about a 100 people. Just phenomenal.

I was sitting on my gf (now wife)'s couch as she got ready for me to go over to meet her parents for the 1st time. I can't seem to word that right.

Watching the game with my buddy at his house we both jumped up at the same time and bang heads almost knocked me out haha I'll never forget that!

I was watching at home. I flew off the couch, jumping and screaming like a 14 year old girl at an Ariana Grande concert when he scored.

Even though I have seen that play 1,000 times I still get goose bumps watching it.

Was at the game and it was awesome! I thought the LSU fans were great. Before the game tailgating they were very nice and accommodating. During the game they cheered for their team and were vocal and talked some smack. After the game they were congratulatory even in defeat. Just all around awesome game and awesome experience being there.

Latest posts