Where were you when "The Catch" happened

HNMitchSmith

Warren Holloway is this week's Hawkeyenation "Where are they now" (You can read the article here: http://hawkeyenation.com/2015/warren-holloway)

The former Iowa receiver said the most gratifying part of "The Catch" is being able to hear stories from fans about what they were doing at the time of that game-winning play.

Share your story -- Where were you when "The Catch" happened?

I was at 3 Bag in West Des Moines. The place exploded. Maybe the most fun I ever had at a bar watching a game.

Parents House. Family all around. Reaction was similar to when McNutt caught the slant in 2009. Everyone lost their minds for a few minutes.

I was at, The Town Pump in Ft. Collins CO with some other U of I friends and grads. I remember it well because there was an LSU fan that was in our ear the whole second half....then "the catch" happened and we went bat **** crazy! It was great!

I was home watching tivo. I must have spent all new year's day watching that replay over and over a 1000 times. I just could not get tired of it. ESPN was replaying using both the radio and tv announcers, and I love both versions. Such an emotional roller coaster, going from oh my what is Iowa doing? to OH MY! I can't believe what just happened!

I can still can hear the radio announcers panic, the clock is winding, this is going to be last play of the game and Drew Tate does not know it. Touchdown!

I was in my basement with about 20 other people. We were so depressed watching the clock tick and the game over and then it happened. A lamp accidentally was broken in the celebration and all I remember is euphoria

I was in my basement with about 20 other people. We were so depressed watching the clock tick and the game over and then it happened. A lamp accidentally was broken in the celebration and all I remember is euphoria

Was watching at home and screaming at the TV for Ferentz to call time out and then the pass and I was yelling "GO! GO!" And then I kept waiting to hear there had been a flag or something to deny the score. Couldn't believe a play like that ever worked in our favor.

I was at the game with my wife, in the second to last row of the end zone opposite where Holloway scored. Coming after the incredible low of how our clock mismanagement appeared to cost us the game, the high of "the catch" was my most memorable moment as a Hawk fan. Watching from behind the play, I could see Holloway get open, but thought he'd get tackled short of the end zone. I remember saying "I can't believe what I just saw!" to my wife. Hearing the replay later on, Gary Dolphin said the same thing. It was awesome leaving the stadium, seeing how the LSU fans had gone from pre-game arrogance to post-game stunned silence.

Student section, opposite endzone. Best sporting event I've ever attended. Hugged people I didn't even know, fell down 3 rows of bleachers. So cool looking to the left and seeing the entire side of the stands blowing up, hats, cups, random crap flying through the air and looking to the right and seeing the entire side completely silent. So much fun.

I was stationed at Naval Station Newport at the time. Watched the game in the E club. Nothing to wild happened there other than people yelling and cheering.

Was there,what a wild,crazy time.Would like to go back to Capitol Bowl,good time News Year Eve at City Walk.

It was really weird at the time. The last 20-30 seconds was mass confusion it seemed. The ball was finally hiked with about 9 sec left. I wouldn't classify it as a hell Mary.

When watching I remember seeing Tate notice something downfield. When he let the ball out it was on a more direct line than a hell Mary so I knew he must have seen something. There was a feeling of hope I had when it left his hand, but I didn't know of the outcome or how probable it was, it was just the way he set up and released I knew he saw something. When it came out as a throw downfield & not a hell Mary it gave me hope & it was answered. That's what I remember the most.

I was at home watching with my wife and 3 children, the youngest of which was born only 3 weeks before. He was in the bouncy seat fast asleep when The Catch happened and he completely slept thru the scene of pandemonium in our house that ensued after the touchdown.

I was there with wife son sister and brother inlaw oppisite corner of the end zone . We al went nuts high fiving everyone.we were on the hawkeye nation charter flite

I was at the game. It was awesome. We were in control and in the lead up until that drive I believe and I would have been gut wrenching if we had lost but all of a sudden when it looked like we were going to louse up the game with bad play clock mgmt Tate takes the game into his own hands and finds Holloway for the TD. The place erupted with the Hawk fans celebrating and dead silence from the Tiger fans. I'll never forget the look of disbelief on their faces as we walked out to our car. We outplayed them and deserve the win that day! Greatest individual play I have seen in person.

I was at the game in Orlando, and we were on the 40 yard line, behind the Iowa bench about 15 rows up from the field. It was a crazy scene!!!! Everyone was just going crazy!!!

I was watching with my Dad. He was pretty sick, but very much into the game. After LSU scored their final TD, I threw a little tantrum. He told me to calm down because somehow, someway Iowa was going to win the game. I laughed at him. Then Tate threw the famous pass and he just smiled at me and said, "Told you so, dummy." He died a few months after that game. That was the last bowl game I ever watched with him. What a great memory of a great day with my father.

I was in the stands with my wife and 2 friends, in the upper deck, similar to section 131 of Kinnick. The play happened in the endzone right in front of us. After LSU went up, the LSU fans in the endzone seats were flipping us off, screaming at us, laughing. When Holloway caught it and ran in, people in the LSU endzone seats started throwing their stuff down. As everyone was going nuts, I watched as they filed out of their seats, stunned.

My friends who were with us on the trip to Florida were actually ISU fans, but we aggreed to go on the vacation together, and they said they would go to the game because they thought it would be something to do. My friends wore Iowa gear to fit in. My buddy said even though he was a diehard Cyclone fan, that was one of the best games he had ever been to.

Once we got back, and I heard the call from Gary Dolphin, I just got full body goosebumps. Still do every time I hear his account of the last play. For a few years, I had Dolph's call as my cell phone ring.

Latest posts