When Was The Last Time Iowa Was A ..................................

MelroseHawkins

............ sure win on an opponent's schedule at the beginning of the season. I was just thinking about Iowa's recent recruiting success and how they've really ramped it up and could be quite formidable on a yearly basis in the future. It made me think how other team's probably look at Iowa as a tough out on their schedule pretty much most if not every year. Iowa has usually always brought a formidable team each game during KF's tenure. Pretty consistent.

It made me wonder the last time other teams looked at Iowa as a sure win.

In '99, Iowa pretty much was a sure win.

'00 teams probably thought of Iowa as a sure win, but that bit MSU, PSU and NW in the ass.

I was thinking the same. I think Kyle McCann was the QB. You can tell how KF built it from the foundation up at the beginning. Each of the first few seasons the team got a little better and then finally broke thru to go to the Alamo Bowl. Then 2002 happen and Iowa was pretty consistent after that and have been a tough out. Pretty impressive.

Yeah it depends on the opponent. OSU the last time we played them kinda thought that about us I bet. Realistically for most schools it'd been since those first couple seasons KF had taken over before we got respectable.

In '99, Iowa pretty much was a sure win.

'00 teams probably thought of Iowa as a sure win, but that bit MSU, PSU and NW in the ass.
In '99 we were as far behind the curve from a physical standpoint as we were behind in talent. We didn't look like we belonged on the same field with MSU and Wisconsin and probably a few others.

We got the three wins you mentioned in '00, but more important we were hanging in there from a physical standpoint against every team by the second half of the season. We lost to Wisconsin 13-7, but Sanders knocked Chris Chambers out of the game and Bucky left the field knowing that they had been in a battle.

I was thinking the same. I think Kyle McCann was the QB. You can tell how KF built it from the foundation up at the beginning. Each of the first few seasons the team got a little better and then finally broke thru to go to the Alamo Bowl. Then 2002 happen and Iowa was pretty consistent after that and have been a tough out. Pretty impressive.
For those needing a football fix, KMCH 94.7 radio out of Manchester has been replaying classic Hawkeye football game from 9 to noon on Saturday mornings. Last week, they had the 2000 Iowa- Penn St game on. (26-23 Iowa win in 2OT)It was Kirks first win on the road as head coach and I think the game where Iowa really turned the corner as a program.

It’s been a long time and very few years that I have been around. As long as there is a Ferentz at Iowa we will never just roll over and die like those cornholers to our west.

............ sure win on an opponent's schedule at the beginning of the season. I was just thinking about Iowa's recent recruiting success and how they've really ramped it up and could be quite formidable on a yearly basis in the future. It made me think how other team's probably look at Iowa as a tough out on their schedule pretty much most if not every year. Iowa has usually always brought a formidable team each game during KF's tenure. Pretty consistent.

It made me wonder the last time other teams looked at Iowa as a sure win.

For those needing a football fix, KMCH 94.7 radio out of Manchester has been replaying classic Hawkeye football game from 9 to noon on Saturday mornings. Last week, they had the 2000 Iowa- Penn St game on. (26-23 Iowa win in 2OT)It was Kirks first win on the road as head coach and I think the game where Iowa really turned the corner as a program.

Was fortunate enough to cover that game. The media room is attached to the locker room. Heard some of KF’s celebration with the team. Memorable.

I was at that game, one of the most nerve-wracking games I've ever been to. Really hard fought. I remember Jason Baker having a fantastic day punting the ball. Seems he was putting them inside the 5-yard line all day. And Nate Kaeding had some monster long field goals as well. And I can still see the ball bouncing off the Penn State receivers hands into Ryan Hansen's for an interception that ended the game. That really was a program changing win, then they backed that up by beating a ranked Northwestern team the next week at home.

It’s been a long time and very few years that I have been around. As long as there is a Ferentz at Iowa we will never just roll over and die like those cornholers to our west.

If it is the '99 season which I think It is, that is going on 21 years which is damn impressive for a developmental team.

Yeah it depends on the opponent. OSU the last time we played them kinda thought that about us I bet. Realistically for most schools it'd been since those first couple seasons KF had taken over before we got respectable.

Yea, I wasn't talking about being a sure win to the blue bloods in the conference or 2 teams. I'm talking about every conference team thinking "Oh, there's a W". Like playing playing the old 1970's and 1980's Northwestern or Indiana's of the world.

Earlier this year on April 4, KKRQ (a.k.a. "100.7 The Fox") out of Cedar Rapids replayed the great 2017 OSU game. I was flipping through stations and happened to catch it & started listening shortly after the game started, but missed Hooker's pick six.

I was fortunate enough to attend this game and have many great memories from that experience. I was excited to hear Dolphin & Podolak's call. It was clear they couldn't believe what was unfolding as the game went on.

I didn't see or hear any advertising for this and couldn't find any mention of this on the internet when I looked.

As far as the original topic goes, I don't remember the last time Iowa was perceived as an easy win for the whole season. You could certainly assume the 1999 season because of how the 1998 season ended, Fry retiring, and it was KF's first college coaching gig since endind his dismal stint at Maine in 1992.

The last single game I can recall that Iowa was a seemingly sure bet to lose was the 2016 Michigan game. Iowa had just been demolished at Penn St. the week before and was a 3 TD underdog AT KINNICK. Michigan was ranked #3 in the country and riding a 9 game winning streak coming into the game. The mindset of literally everyone outside of the program was there's simply no way Iowa can win. Obviously, they rose up and pulled off a huge upset that nobody saw coming. This to me ranks as one of the best Iowa games ever because the odds heavily favored the other team.

Was fortunate enough to cover that game. The media room is attached to the locker room. Heard some of KF’s celebration with the team. Memorable.
Something about Kirk tells me he rolled out some AC/DC for that celebration. Not just the hokey-pokey.

Latest posts