When the dust settles at the end of the season, Lick may be the BTCOTY

Status
Not open for further replies.
"PeoriaHWKI I have to disagree I don't see lick getting laid off and dusting off his resume no matter what happens this year. His top recruiting class is coming in next year and we only have Bawinkel graduating. At least I think they'll give him another year. We'll see what happens!"

I do not think he will be gone I just think he will see the writing is on the wall and start getting ready. That recruiting class is not anything to be shouting about. As a few of you used to say when Alford was here... welcome to the dumbing down of Iowa basketball...

Good call on Crean, as well.

Just like the Big Ten itself in basketball, the coaches are stacked. It won't be an easy thing to do, but Lickliter will have a shot this year depending on how the team responds.

Good call on Crean, as well.

Just like the Big Ten itself in basketball, the coaches are stacked. It won't be an easy thing to do, but Lickliter will have a shot this year depending on how the team responds.

Every coach in the Big Ten has a chance at the COY if there team responds.

IMO Iowa still has to finish in the top 6 for Lickliter to be considered for CotY. I agree that Iowa probably will not be last. But there is probably a team like NW that has the ability to make a push and IMO if they make the tourney Carmody gets it for being the first NW coach to ever make it. I think they get there too.

Iowa could improve this year and still not improve much in the standings if at all, which would be unfortunate. The Big 10 is will be quite tough and this is probably a tough time for a new coach to be trying to turn around a program, a coach like Lickliter and his style of play. He doesn't have the ability (or hasn't yet) to recruit the top notch kids to turn a program around quickly like a Crean or Izzo so he has to rely on rebuilding a program that will takes time (5 years or so) and I'm not sure he has that kind of time after his performance so far. If Iowa doesn't improve quickly, his recruiting may suffer? Why would kids want to play at a losing last-place program? Other than long-time Iowa Hawk kids and he might even lose some of those?

The problem is that if he is unsuccessful or if he can only get Iowa to .500 like Alford and never compete for a Big 10 championship (which he was hired to do or I hope so anyway), Iowa will have lost another 5 years or so trying to turn their program around. He is going to have to make a run for the championship or at least high in the division, just making the NCAA as a bubble team (although we will be glad to have made the tournament) will still only be a .500 team or so. That will mean the following year he will HAVE to make a run for the championship because another .500 season will be Alford mediocrity again and he will have juniors and seniors...his type of team.

Today, coaches can turn BB programs around in a couple of years with good recruiting but a coach needs to be able to recruit some really good kids and have a style of ball that kids enjoy playing. Painter from Purdue is a perfect example; so is Tubby Smith at Minnesota. Lickliter on the other hand is going to have trouble attracting top notch players to his style of ball because most kids enjoy playing a uptempo style game. Good coaches with good playing styles can recruit...yes even to Iowa.

The big question for Lickliter will be if his style can compete for a Big 10 championship without some of those top notch kids? So far, the really top notch kids in Iowa are going elsewhere (Barnes). It will be very important that he get Paige but I'm not sure he will? I hope so because he definitely needs a kid like that. Most of the kids he is getting here on recruiting trips look to be considering us ONLY if they don't get another offer from another school (except for the Iowa kids).

He has some nice players right now but can these guys compete for a Big 10 championship with the likes of MSU and their talent? I don't know?

I hope so because I am tired of watching a last place Iowa team and after reading about Lute's return and remembering those days, it has been difficult watching Iowa through the Alford years and it has been even worse watching them so far through the Lickliter years.

Iowa fans are starting to sound more and more like Cubs fans, "wait until next year." We shouldn't have to continue waiting when we watch other programs being turned around in a couple of years and don't tell me they have better recruiting bases. Iowa is a Big 10 school that used to have a great BB tradition--the tradition started to become stagnant with Davis during his later years, Alford ruined the program, and now Lickliter is having trouble. He has a lot to prove folks...a lot to prove to show he can do the job. Thinking he can do it and proving it are two different things.

I hope he can even though I am no fan of his style of play...I just want Iowa to win. But it should not take 5 years to turn a BB program around these days...Football coaches can turn a program around in 5 years. A BB coach only needs 13 players...

COY? It would be nice if you could justify these far out prognostications with some sort of realistic evidence. Pretty much everyone wants MBB to be a winning program(again), yet with Lickliter there is nothing to demostrate that he has this program set to move forward. We can hope that the players have worked hard to improve, that the new players will add to the mix and help ( plus the next recruiting class set to sign looks quite nice ), and that the coaches will have self evaluated and will be better at getting the kids to buy into the system and also that they can retain the kids. Right now there is little to demostrate that the COY is looming, or that Tucker is a messiah, or whatever else your immense cheerleading bugles.

Credibility is being lost with every prediction.

Now if you would have worded it different, perhaps it would have had some merit. Like... "If TL can orchestrate a top 6 finish, I think he deserves Coach of the Year."

Of course, that still wouldn't give him COY honors. Because honors like that aren't given for mediocre finishes, regardless of exceeding expectations.

I like TL and I think he can get the job done in time at Iowa. But it's not gonna happen this season.

Credibility is being lost with every prediction.

Now if you would have worded it different, perhaps it would have had some merit. Like... "If TL can orchestrate a top 6 finish, I think he deserves Coach of the Year."

Of course, that still wouldn't give him COY honors. Because honors like that aren't given for mediocre finishes, regardless of exceeding expectations.

I like TL and I think he can get the job done in time at Iowa. But it's not gonna happen this season.

Considering you're not going to win the award if you finish 9th or something, then I guess you could see what I am saying. I think the potential is there for this team to make some noise. Their lack of depth will hurt, though, no doubt about it. Couple that with the talent in the BT, and it will be tough. I'm just saying this team is going to surprise and if they surprise enough, Lick might have a chance. That's all.

"PeoriaHWKI I have to disagree I don't see lick getting laid off and dusting off his resume no matter what happens this year. His top recruiting class is coming in next year and we only have Bawinkel graduating. At least I think they'll give him another year. We'll see what happens!"

I do not think he will be gone I just think he will see the writing is on the wall and start getting ready. That recruiting class is not anything to be shouting about. As a few of you used to say when Alford was here... welcome to the dumbing down of Iowa basketball...

+1

I could not have said it better myself. As much as I want Iowa to do well, I just cannot see it happening this year.

And that recruiting class may be Lick's best, but it is probably about #7 in the Big Ten when all the dust settles.

If Iowa finishes better than 8th in the Big Ten, Lick should definitely be the BTCOY.

Considering you're not going to win the award if you finish 9th or something, then I guess you could see what I am saying. I think the potential is there for this team to make some noise. Their lack of depth will hurt, though, no doubt about it. Couple that with the talent in the BT, and it will be tough. I'm just saying this team is going to surprise and if they surprise enough, Lick might have a chance. That's all.

Surprise who(m)?

I am not trying to be rude, just curious as to what your definition of the word surprise is.

all the nay sayers ... same people who would of looked at Iowa football last year coming into this and making a bold statement of Iowa is going to contend for a NC in 09 and going into the OSU game they could be undefeated ... 99 perc of you posting in this thread would have said yeah right let me have some of that koolaid ....

Theres a way to get things done in sports ... and going into a situation and saying weve lost before weve played is rediculous ... if thats the case just mail in the stats , records , and w and L and wait til next season. If that would have been the case Iowa would be a subpar 500 team in football atm ...

Got to love the "Iowa fan". Support the teams when they are doing well and jump off the wagon when you are faced adversity ... we got a dam good basketball coach who is starting to get HIS players into the system and style he coachs ... this is the disposable attitude that really ircks me to no end ... I want it and want it now ... and then when the turn around begins his critics will be the first to thump their chest and say I had his back all the time and knew he could do it ... AKA Ferentz enough said!

all the nay sayers ... same people who would of looked at Iowa football last year coming into this and making a bold statement of Iowa is going to contend for a NC in 09 and going into the OSU game they could be undefeated ... 99 perc of you posting in this thread would have said yeah right let me have some of that koolaid ....

Theres a way to get things done in sports ... and going into a situation and saying weve lost before weve played is rediculous ... if thats the case just mail in the stats , records , and w and L and wait til next season. If that would have been the case Iowa would be a subpar 500 team in football atm ...

Got to love the "Iowa fan". Support the teams when they are doing well and jump off the wagon when you are faced adversity ... we got a dam good basketball coach who is starting to get HIS players into the system and style he coachs ... this is the disposable attitude that really ircks me to no end ... I want it and want it now ... and then when the turn around begins his critics will be the first to thump their chest and say I had his back all the time and knew he could do it ... AKA Ferentz enough said!

With all due respect, you are talking about an Iowa program that has been dismal for a while. Even years that we made the tourney under Alford, we didn't make much of a dent in the grand sheme of things.

We have just went through two of the worst years in Iowa basketball history. What was done at Butler has nothing to do with what can be done at Iowa. That is why there is a lot of skeptisism regarding TL. His accomplishments and honors in that league mean nothing in terms of the Big Ten. Seriously, we just got rid of a coach that was able to get it done at a smaller level. Now we are expected to buy into everything using this logic again?? You have to expect people to be cautious of getting their hopes up. Heck, I'm cautious...and I'm a season ticket holder.

Now, can TL get it done at Iowa? I've already been on the record saying I think he can get it done eventually. And I hope so, cause his style of basketball is boring as hell to watch. So we better hope we get some W's to make it easier on the eyes.

Gee, a bit of anger in that response there Hawk4. You may well believe that he is a dam(n) good coach, I havent witnessed it here at Iowa. If he can turn it around, thats great. At the moment, I am waiting.....( hoping that kids can buy into this "system", hoping they stay through the year and into the next, hoping that recruiting continues to improve, hoping that this team tries to win by attacking the basket and not heaving up threes all day,... )....

We will see (and hopefully be pleasantly surprised ).

I've heard that Coach Lick sold his house in Coralville (to Nate Kaeding). The story I was told was that he wanted a pool. Can anyone confirm or deny? I haven't seen anything about this on the board. Perhaps it is no big deal, but I don't sell a house I just bought just to get a pool. (Of course, I am not a millionaire...yet.)

Who will be the 10th and 11th place teams?
Penn State, Indiana, Northwestern the bottom three. Michigan, Illinois, Iowa & Wisky all have a shot at finishing 5th, and most of them will play in the NIT.

Mich State easily wings again, no one else comes close in ability, coaching, talent, experience, game savvy.
Purdue is vastly over-rated, though Johnson will have dominating games, but the guard play is nothing special--and needs to be to be really successful in the NCAA.
Ohio State probably edges Purdue for second--more talent, more speed, much better guards, more depth...but a year, most likely two away from Final Four prospects.
Minnie finishes fourth--but only because the Big Ten is still a long way short of what most of the posters seem to assume. Tubby is no Izzo or Ryan (probably not even on a par with Crean or Carmody--or, I might add, Lickliter as a COACH, not a recruiter), but Nolan is a shot-limited mediocre PG, and Iverson & Sampson are at best average in a Big Ten that doesn't have many solid PF-C combinations inside (Minnie would struggle to finish 8th in the ACC or Big East).

The necessary presumptions to give rational basis to all these contentions that the Hawkeyes are doomed to 10th or 11th are (1) that coaching doesn't matter a great deal in college basketball (or overlooks or cannot grasp that Lickliter is an outstanding teacher of basketball skills and very astute as a tactician & strategist); (2) that the opinions of non-coaches with little or no actual background in college basketball aare somehow or other accurate about the developmental potential of high school kids they have never (or at most rarely seen), and (3) are assuming that these wannabees despite their lack of background somehow intuitively have an uneering sense of how these players they don't know will develop as much or more in college play under coaches who recruit well (Matta, Painter, Tubby, Weber) as they will under the guys with outstanding teaching & development skills (Izzo, Ryan, Carmody, Crean, Lickliter).

I think Lickliter is the right coach and he will get our program turned around. Not sure of coach of the year though? Everyone loves to just rip on coaches if they don't win right away. People were calling for Ferentz's head early last year and keeping him has worked out well. One thing that I really respect about Iowa is they give their coaching hires a chance to prove themselves in more than 1 year. I'm sure a lot of people disagree with me on most of this. I was excited to see some optimism for Hawkeye basketball on this post. I guess I was reaching too much. If Iowa can finish in the middle of the big 10 that will be a good start for getting the program back on track. You can't just snap your fingers and be at the top of the league.

Sorry but I don't see Indiana being in the bottom three. With the talent they brought in they will be much improved. May have a slow start but will be much better by mid-season. I think Iowa can compete with Northwestern and Penn St. but that's about it. Give Lick this season and next to show some improvement and if it doesn't happen he is gone. Iowa will be taking such a loss with ticket sales by then that they will have to make a change. I hope Barta has his short list made out by then and he makes the right choice this time.

Gee, a bit of anger in that response there Hawk4. You may well believe that he is a dam(n) good coach, I havent witnessed it here at Iowa. If he can turn it around, thats great. At the moment, I am waiting.....( hoping that kids can buy into this "system", hoping they stay through the year and into the next, hoping that recruiting continues to improve, hoping that this team tries to win by attacking the basket and not heaving up threes all day,... )....

We will see (and hopefully be pleasantly surprised ).

Wow, if you change the wording a little bit you just stole one of Barack Obama's election speeches.

Hope this and hope that.

Unfortunately, when it comes to Iowa basketball, hope is dual lathered each day in hopes that it sticks.

Turning it political? Isnt that a no no?

With the results of the last few years, what else is there, other than hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts