When the dust settles at the end of the season, Lick may be the BTCOTY

Status
Not open for further replies.
NW returns 10 of their top 11 scorers from last year, a year they had a winning record, beat MSU and PU on their home courts and made the NIT, and Iowa is going to leapfrog them? I would be very pleased if that happened,but I doubt it.

I truly believe that Lickliter is going to be in the running for the Big Ten Coach of the Year. It will likely go to Painter, Izzo, or Tubby, but I think Lick is going to be one that is going to turn some heads with this team.

I'm not saying conf champ or close to that - but what the coaching staff will be able to do with this team will open some eyes... we will not finish 11th like the media and some fans expect.

WOW... that was a bold prediction!!! I assume he'll need to win at least 1 B10 game to be in the running...

I'll make a bold predicition. Lick will not win any awards.

Archive this post and see who wins the epic Ghost vs. Spank showdown.

I truly believe that Lickliter is going to be in the running for the Big Ten Coach of the Year. It will likely go to Painter, Izzo, or Tubby, but I think Lick is going to be one that is going to turn some heads with this team.

I'm not saying conf champ or close to that - but what the coaching staff will be able to do with this team will open some eyes... we will not finish 11th like the media and some fans expect.

I can see that Jon's site trouble has not blinded your Black and Gold goggle vision.

They don't give BTCOTY awards to guys that win 5 (or less) conference games.

If it happens, I will hand you a crisp $100 bill.

If it doesn't, will you finally put down the kool-aid?

I drink it a lot, also. But, I am a realist.

And, a realist sees that this team will go down as one of the worst teams in the history of Iowa basketball.

Seriously. What have you seen that is going to change in the second half of the season?

There are two really good things happening this winter for Hawkeye fans.

And neither of them are basketball oriented.

all the nay sayers ... same people who would of looked at Iowa football last year coming into this and making a bold statement of Iowa is going to contend for a NC in 09 and going into the OSU game they could be undefeated ... 99 perc of you posting in this thread would have said yeah right let me have some of that koolaid ....

Theres a way to get things done in sports ... and going into a situation and saying weve lost before weve played is rediculous ... if thats the case just mail in the stats , records , and w and L and wait til next season. If that would have been the case Iowa would be a subpar 500 team in football atm ...

Got to love the "Iowa fan". Support the teams when they are doing well and jump off the wagon when you are faced adversity ... we got a dam good basketball coach who is starting to get HIS players into the system and style he coachs ... this is the disposable attitude that really ircks me to no end ... I want it and want it now ... and then when the turn around begins his critics will be the first to thump their chest and say I had his back all the time and knew he could do it ... AKA Ferentz enough said!

Dude, Lickliter has done nothing for us so far. NOTHING.

If we lose 2 of our next 5 games, he will become the coach with the LOWEST win percentage in Hawkeye BB history.

People are always comparing Lick to Alford.

Here is one for you:

Alford left Iowa for UNM. The Lobos are rolling.
Lick left Butler for Iowa. The Hawks are struggling.

Don't tell me that UNM has a better basketball program, over the long haul. than does Iowa.

So, something stinks.

And, excuse my grammar, it ain't the Lobos.

Wow, if you change the wording a little bit you just stole one of Barack Obama's election speeches.

Hope this and hope that.

Unfortunately, when it comes to Iowa basketball, hope is dual lathered each day in hopes that it sticks.

Please never compare being a Hawkeye, or anything Hawkeye, to Barack Obama.

That is an insult.

I can see that Jon's site trouble has not blinded your Black and Gold goggle vision.

They don't give BTCOTY awards to guys that win 5 (or less) conference games.

If it happens, I will hand you a crisp $100 bill.

If it doesn't, will you finally put down the kool-aid?

I drink it a lot, also. But, I am a realist.

And, a realist sees that this team will go down as one of the worst teams in the history of Iowa basketball.

Seriously. What have you seen that is going to change in the second half of the season?

There are two really good things happening this winter for Hawkeye fans.

And neither of them are basketball oriented.

Dude, this post is from back in October.

As I have admitted numerous times on this site, my preseason predictions and expectations have not been met and were off-base. I'm not sure what else to say. I was wrong about this team. I expected more from them.

However, my in-season prediction, etc... have been pretty good. Analyzing what I see, how other teams are doing, et al...

Dude, this post is from back in October.

As I have admitted numerous times on this site, my preseason predictions and expectations have not been met and were off-base. I'm not sure what else to say. I was wrong about this team. I expected more from them.

However, my in-season prediction, etc... have been pretty good. Analyzing what I see, how other teams are doing, et al...

LOL! Keep up the great work:eek:

this post by SPANK = EPIC FAIL!!!!!!!

Penn State, Indiana, Northwestern the bottom three. Michigan, Illinois, Iowa & Wisky all have a shot at finishing 5th, and most of them will play in the NIT.

Mich State easily wings again, no one else comes close in ability, coaching, talent, experience, game savvy.
Purdue is vastly over-rated, though Johnson will have dominating games, but the guard play is nothing special--and needs to be to be really successful in the NCAA.
Ohio State probably edges Purdue for second--more talent, more speed, much better guards, more depth...but a year, most likely two away from Final Four prospects.
Minnie finishes fourth--but only because the Big Ten is still a long way short of what most of the posters seem to assume. Tubby is no Izzo or Ryan (probably not even on a par with Crean or Carmody--or, I might add, Lickliter as a COACH, not a recruiter), but Nolan is a shot-limited mediocre PG, and Iverson & Sampson are at best average in a Big Ten that doesn't have many solid PF-C combinations inside (Minnie would struggle to finish 8th in the ACC or Big East).

The necessary presumptions to give rational basis to all these contentions that the Hawkeyes are doomed to 10th or 11th are (1) that coaching doesn't matter a great deal in college basketball (or overlooks or cannot grasp that Lickliter is an outstanding teacher of basketball skills and very astute as a tactician & strategist); (2) that the opinions of non-coaches with little or no actual background in college basketball aare somehow or other accurate about the developmental potential of high school kids they have never (or at most rarely seen), and (3) are assuming that these wannabees despite their lack of background somehow intuitively have an uneering sense of how these players they don't know will develop as much or more in college play under coaches who recruit well (Matta, Painter, Tubby, Weber) as they will under the guys with outstanding teaching & development skills (Izzo, Ryan, Carmody, Crean, Lickliter).

I do not mind Spanks legit enthusiasm for hawk bb, but this poster's arrogance is mind-boggling. PSU,IU and NW fighting for the bottom while Iowa fights for 5th? Nice pick.

Got to love these old posts popping back up! This was before Stormin's optimism got a taste of reality. 11th!? We might finish in 12th place. Will we win more games than the place we finish in the big ten, i.e. will we win 11 games? I'll take the under and hope this post pops back up in 2 months (to prove me wrong)!

I'll take a hit of whatever you're smokin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts