When Fran said let's get mad again...

smoot27

did he mean March Madnesss or mad that we'll have another coach who settles for mid-major caliber talent while the state get's pillaged by better programs? Oglesby and White might turn out to be ok role players, but I have a hard time believing they will be top athletes in the Big 12.

Right now it's hard not to like what the coach in Ames is doing and be excited about their program. Royce White and Allen will have an instant impact on that team and make them at least a threat to the top teams in their league.

Last edited:
Talk to me in November after Gesell and Woodbury commit. Hubbard leaving sucks but we now have 4 schollies I believe that can be used next year. Need to fill all 4 with quality players.

did he mean March Madnesss or mad that we'll have another coach who settles for mid-major caliber talent while the state get's pillaged by better programs? Oglesby and White might turn out to be ok role players, but I have a hard time believing they will be top athletes in the Big 12.

Right now it's hard not to like what the coach in Ames is doing and be excited about their program. Royce White and Allen will have an instant impact on that team and make them at least a threat to the top teams in their league.

Then become a fan of the Ames program then. What's stopping you? I would recommend it. As for me I'm very excited about this Iowa program under Fran.

Last edited:

Are you freaking kidding me!!?!?! Do me a favor and look up patience in the dictionary. And then look up dunce.

Whatever Clone fan. It will be interesting watching Hoiberg's team that he assembled. It can go either way. He'll either come out smelling like roses or it could implode on him with the number of ?'able players. You have a coach that quickly assembled a team with hooligans & departures for various reasons who has never coached a college team in his lifetime. It will be interesting to watch, indeed. I'm going to tune in.

smoot27. Big 12? ummm. ok. last time most of us checked, Iowa was in the BIG 10. go back to sleep my friend. And do yourself a favor and watch White and Josh play a few more games. Both are ballers, especially the White kid. Many teams, emphasize MANY, will be kicking themselves they missed on him in a year or so.

I am starting to think Woodbury commits somewhere before November. I think he will enjoy his summer of attention and take a couple of visits and then pull the trigger somewhere around the start of the school year.

I am starting to think Woodbury commits somewhere before November. I think he will enjoy his summer of attention and take a couple of visits and then pull the trigger somewhere around the start of the school year.

maybe he'll pull an ogelsby and get the royal treatment at a football game for an official visit. i know i would if i was a hawk fan. wait, he can still get that if he's a commit right? or does he need to be undecided...?

maybe he'll pull an ogelsby and get the royal treatment at a football game for an official visit. i know i would if i was a hawk fan. wait, he can still get that if he's a commit right? or does he need to be undecided...?

It doesn't really matter either way. He can't sign until November, which is when the waters might get a little murky when it comes to rolling out the red carpet. But a verbal commitment doesn't count for much. He could still take a visit to Texas and get the royal treatment, even after giving the Hawks a verbal (just as an example).

Actually, Iowa has 6 scholarships. The five you mentioned and the remaining open one.

Of course Meyer has already verballed. But, technically it is still open.

smoot27. Big 12? ummm. ok. last time most of us checked, Iowa was in the BIG 10. go back to sleep my friend. And do yourself a favor and watch White and Josh play a few more games. Both are ballers, especially the White kid. Many teams, emphasize MANY, will be kicking themselves they missed on him in a year or so.

Easy there buddy, the Big 12 comment was a joke in reference to the current 12 teams in the Big 10. Did you get this worked up when people constantly called it the Big 11 last season?

I hope you are correct and White and Oglesby become stars. I still think we are recruiting well below the level of a mid to upper level major program. Our center and point guard depth is atrocious. I attempt to assess the team with reason and an open mind as opposed to a homer like the majority of HN posters who get their panties in a bunch everytime something critical is said. The same posters who thought Cartwright was one of the best pg's in the conference last year when his efficiency rating put him in the bottom five.

Last edited:

Not sure after only one year on the job how you can make this assumption. Are Cartwright and Basabe marginal "mid-major" players? You can't rebuild a program in one season. Team chemistry can be just as important as having a roster of All-Stars. With Iowa's 10-year recent slump, do you expect a coach to come in and make Iowa a Final Four team in one season?

Hoiberg has landed some nice players but now we will see if he can truly coach. As for Fran, he has a background of rebuilding programs and you can't rebuild an Iowa program that has been down for quite some time in one season. How can you be so sure White and Oglesby will be "roleplayers?" If Fran finds a nice mix of players who learn to play as a team, then the sky is the limit. Is Butler filled with All-Star players? Butler is a perfect example of how team chemistry can take you far. Let's not give up on Fran just yet after only one season.

Latest posts