What's Fran's ceiling at Iowa?

What's the farthest Fran McCaffery can take Iowa basketball?

• NCAA Championship Game

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • NCAA Final Four

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • NCAA Elite Eight

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • NCAA Sweet 16

• NCAA Second Round

• B1G Regular Season Championship

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • B1G Tournament Championship

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NIT Championship

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'll argue that one. Wisconsin had a premier basketball coach. They still don't recruit great so the only way they will continue their success is if Gard happens to be a premier coach too. He might me but the virdect isn't in yet.

19 consecutive tournaments spans three coaches. Gard recruits better than Bo ever did.

When it comes to UW basketball, Iowa fans have little brother syndrome to the highest degree.

I repeat, 19 consecutive NCAA tournaments. Since 2010, 4 sweet 16s and two final fours.

If they fall off with Gard going forward we can certainly move them off the rung as a premier basketball program. Until then they have certainly earned their perch.

19 consecutive tournaments spans three coaches. Gard recruits better than Bo ever did.

When it comes to UW basketball, Iowa fans have little brother syndrome to the highest degree.

I repeat, 19 consecutive NCAA tournaments. Since 2010, 4 sweet 16s and two final fours.

If they fall off with Gard going forward we can certainly move them off the rung as a premier basketball program. Until then they have certainly earned their perch.

I'm not arguing they don't earn it. I'm just saying one coach was the reason and he isn't there anymore. You say 3 coaches, but Gard just finished his first full season with 4 of Bo's seniors so can you really count him? And wasn't Ryan at Wisconsin for 15 or so years? What's that mean, they had a 2 year streak going before him?

I'm not arguing they don't earn it. I'm just saying one coach was the reason and he isn't there anymore. You say 3 coaches, but Gard just finished his first full season with 4 of Bo's seniors so can you really count him? And wasn't Ryan at Wisconsin for 15 or so years? What's that mean, they had a 2 year streak going before him?

You are correct. A couple years with Dick Bennett, including another final four, and then the two years with Gard. So yes primarily there program success has come from Bo.

I see no reason to discredit them for having a good coach. The problem is you are saying they are likely to drop off, which may be the case, but until that happens they are what they are.

Okay. Enough about Wisconsin.

You are correct. A couple years with Dick Bennett, including another final four, and then the two years with Gard. So yes primarily there program success has come from Bo.

I see no reason to discredit them for having a good coach. The problem is you are saying they are likely to drop off, which may be the case, but until that happens they are what they are.

Okay. Enough about Wisconsin.

Saying they were good because they had a hall of fame coach isn't discrediting them. Good coaches make programs good if they stay there long enough. I just don't think Wisconsin is a destination job after 15 years of Bo like Duke will be a destination job after 50 years of coach K. They hit lightning in a bottle with Ryan. Did lightning really strike twice?

Saying they were good because they had a hall of fame coach isn't discrediting them. Good coaches make programs good if they stay there long enough. I just don't think Wisconsin is a destination job after 15 years of Bo like Duke will be a destination job after 50 years of coach K. They hit lightning in a bottle with Ryan. Did lightning really strike twice?

Will they go up? Will they go down? Will they stay the same? That I do not know.

What I do know is as it stands right now, as much as it pains me to say, Wisconsin is a premier college basketball program. My guess is by most statistics over the last 7-10 years they are a top 5 college BB program. Over the last 15-20 likely top 10.

That was my only point, in response to Gold saying Wisky is not a power in his attempt to badmouth the B1G.

I think we agree on most things. I don't care to argue about UW hoops any longer.

Will they go up? Will they go down? Will they stay the same? That I do not know.

What I do know is as it stands right now, as much as it pains me to say, Wisconsin is a premier college basketball program. My guess is by most statistics over the last 7-10 years they are a top 5 college BB program. Over the last 15-20 likely top 10.

That was my only point, in response to Gold saying Wisky is not a power in his attempt to badmouth the B1G.

I think we agree on most things. I don't care to argue about UW hoops any longer.
Oh shit, I forgot this started with you arguing with Gold. I agree with you, Wisconsin is a premier program.

I'm asking you if you can, which you can't. That's why I called you on it. You can run around saying things like the B1G sucks but you can't say why these other conferences are better.

Also, while we're at it I'll have to clean up another one of your errors. As much as it pains me to admit it, Wisconsin is a premier basketball school. 19 strait NCAA tournaments. 4 sweet 16s and 2 final fours since 2010. Can't really be argued.

Don't go around saying Big sucks. They are not a premier conference anymore. You can tell that by overall guard play. The real test will be the draft. I"m certainly not going around and holler...We're #2 with SEC!

Big 12 clearly has a leader that would in most years win the Big. Pac would have taken top 3 spots this year. ACC clearly above. SEC is likely above. The NCAA has about 12 teams that could be final 4. The Big has none this year.

Wisky a top team? They had a great coach who could coach up and create breaks. Iowa can't seem to create breaks. Oh Boy. I'm discussing with a rock.

The problem with the poll is you can't select 3 answers which could all be true.

I believe Fran is capable of winning a regular season conference championship, conference tournament championship and go to the Elite 8 (maybe, final 4).

So, what would be the ceiling in that instance? I'm guessing most people would say Elite 8.

OTOH, if Fran wins a conference title (regular or conference) and only makes it to the NCAA second round, I'd say the conference title would be his best finish to date.

So, what would be the ceiling in that instance? I'm guessing most people would say Elite 8.

OTOH, if Fran wins a conference title (regular or conference) and only makes it to the NCAA second round, I'd say the conference title would be his best finish to date.

In a poll with 50 responses:

23 said Sweet or Less

27 said Elite

13 said FF

10 said NC Game

No wonder we argue so much.

How many of you think Fran and the MRS both get tossed in a game involving sons? Happened before with less at stake than family pride.

My son saw one of his sons and the coach at CR airport. Said it was funny to watch. Imagine living with/coaching teenagers and a perimenopausal wife in a public fish bowl and having emotional control issues. Gonna be fun.

In a poll with 50 responses:

23 said Sweet or Less

27 said Elite

13 said FF

10 said NC Game

No wonder we argue so much.

How many of you think Fran and the MRS both get tossed in a game involving sons? Happened before with less at stake than family pride.

My son saw one of his sons and the coach at CR airport. Said it was funny to watch. Imagine living with/coaching teenagers and a perimenopausal wife in a public fish bowl and having emotional control issues. Gonna be fun.

It takes a lot more for a ref to toss a fan from a college game than it does a little kids game.

Don't go around saying Big sucks. They are not a premier conference anymore. You can tell that by overall guard play. The real test will be the draft. I"m certainly not going around and holler...We're #2 with SEC!

Big 12 clearly has a leader that would in most years win the Big. Pac would have taken top 3 spots this year. ACC clearly above. SEC is likely above. The NCAA has about 12 teams that could be final 4. The Big has none this year.

Wisky a top team? They had a great coach who could coach up and create breaks. Iowa can't seem to create breaks. Oh Boy. I'm discussing with a rock.

Amazing! Let's dive through your latest piece of "gold"

The real test will be the draft?
Markelle Fultz the projected top pick (who's a PG) led his team to a mighty 9 win season. Boy if they didn't have him they might have only won 5. The NBA draft doesn't mean squat in terms of college success. Many of the top college juniors and seniors will never be great prospects, but have been great college players.

You can tell by the B1G overall guard play?
Walton, Trimble, Koenig, Mason, and McIntosh. B1G guard play was solid this year. Walton was an absolute stud down the stretch.

While we're on the topic I'm reminded of when Iowa beat Michigan and in your effort to discredit the win you tried saying Walton was an average guard and Michigan wasn't that good, which I called you on. How'd that turn out?

The Big12 is better because Kansas would compete year in and year out for Big10 titles? That's your argument? A conference is about more than one team. Plus Kansas wins the Big 12 every year anyways so that's a terrible point.

The B1G has no teams that could have made the final four this year?? I think Michigan and UW could have easily made it.

I literally can't stop laughing at your last paragraph. In classic Gold fashion you start rambling on providing no facts to back up your assertion. Your tangent leads you to Iowa can't create breaks. Talking to a rock?... Pot meet kettle.

Markelle Fultz the projected top pick (who's a PG) led his team to a mighty 9 win season. Boy if they didn't have him they might have only won 5. The NBA draft doesn't mean squat in terms of college success. Many of the top college juniors and seniors will never be great prospects, but have been great college players.

Walton, Trimble, Koenig, Mason, and McIntosh. B1G guard play was solid this year. Walton was an absolute stud down the stretch.

While we're on the topic I'm reminded of when Iowa beat Michigan and in your effort to discredit the win you tried saying Walton was an average guard and Michigan wasn't that good, which I called you on. How'd that turn out?

The Big12 is better because Kansas would compete year in and year out for Big10 titles? That's your argument? A conference is about more than one team. Plus Kansas wins the Big 12 every year anyways so that's a terrible point.

The B1G has no teams that could have made the final four this year?? I think Michigan and UW could have easily made it.

I literally can't stop laughing at your last paragraph. In classic Gold fashion you start rambling on providing no facts to back up your assertion. Your tangent leads you to Iowa can't create breaks. Talking to a rock?... Pot meet kettle.

Agree with this, and talking to Gold is usually just a exercise in frustration. He thinks he is the smartest guy on the planet, and really doesn't like anyone challenging him at all.

The Big12 might have been better this year, but they certainly aren't year in and year out at all better than the B1G. Kansas would have never ever been able to go on a decade long conference title streak if they were in the B1G.

The B1G wasn't great this year, big deal, it goes in cycles. It certainly isn't like the Big12 is winning National titles and going to final 4's all the time. Heck they might have the least amount of Elite 8 appearances in the last 5-10 years of any P6 conference.

Funniest thing is the first few responses on twitter about this are from Hawk fans mad that ISU is in the list.

It's funny how whatever Iowa happens to not have is the one thing you HAVE to have. Fans are funny that way. When ISU was killing the transfer market there was a new thread on here every week about HAVING to get transfers. Now we have a position of need (that happened to end up being good but the perception was already there) so now you HAVE to have an elite point guard. In a few years we will probably need a center or something so good teams will HAVE to have a good center.

jordanmeme123123234123-the-ceiling-is-the-roof.jpg

The best part is when all the class skipping cheaters applaud loudly after he says it. #Academics

Latest posts