What record gets Fran fired this year?

He won't get fired, because they won't risk losing Weiskamp, the Fran boys, and probably Cook. I can't think of any record that would force a change. Sadly.
I agree with this. Lose out and he coaches next year.

I personally don’t have to have B1G titles, but they certainly are nice. Plus let’s face it, now in football a B1G title isn’t really the end all beat all. For instance Urban didn’t win a B1G title in ‘16, but made the playoffs. In ‘17 he won the B1G title and missed the playoffs. KF was actually closer to the playoffs in ‘15 than Urban was in ‘17. Pretty crazy when you think about it.
True. But lets not pretend that the last decade of KF football is close to resembling the first decade of KF football. It doesn't.

Kirk is trending down...

Fran was trending up...

Now...they are meeting in the middle...and the fans are becoming lethargic...like the teams...

Or is that too simple?

Wait...yes, that is too simple...Iowa is going to a bowl game!

Kirk is trending down...

Fran was trending up...

Now...they are meeting in the middle...and the fans are becoming lethargic...like the teams...

Or is that too simple?

Here's my perspective.

Since winning the Orange Bowl, other than 2012 (4-8) and 2015 (12-2), Iowa has been 7-5 or 8-4 every year. So I don't agree that KF is trending down.. I'd just say he's leveled off the past several years. Pretty predictable results.

Fran was trending up until a couple years ago. After a couple NCAA 7 seeds, it was NIT last year, and looks Lickliter-ish this year. If anything, it's Fran that's down-trending.

Who knows what the future brings, though, for either coach.

True. But lets not pretend that the last decade of KF football is close to resembling the first decade of KF football. It doesn't.

That's actually not true....they look pretty similar....

1st 10 years - 70 total wins
2nd 9 years - 72 total wins

1st 10 years - 43 B1G wins with 1 undefeated B1G regular season
2nd 9 years - 43 B1G wins with 1 undefeated B1G regular season

1st 10 years - 3 10 win seasons
2nd 9 years - 2 10 win seasons

1st 10 years - 4 bowl wins, 1 BCS-level bowl appearance
2nd 9 years - 2 bowl wins, 2 BSC-level bowl appearance with 1 win

1st 10 years - 3 seasons of 6+ conference wins with 2 conference titles
2nd 9 years - 3 seasons of 6+ conference wins with 1 division title

I don't have the stats for draft picks, all B1G selections, all americans, etc....but I'm pretty certain that those are comparable too.

I know it's sometimes easy for "nostalgia" to set in, but in reality, KFs 2nd decade has looked remarkably close to his first decade.....

Actually it does
Kirk is trending down...

Fran was trending up...

Or is that too simple?

Perception isn't always reality. You hate Ferentz, we get it. I have my problems with him as well, but the facts don't support your line of thinking unless it is championship or bust for you.

This probably belongs in the football board too, but I was curious so gathered some stats.

Ferentz 19 year coaching.

First 10: 70-53, 57% winning pct.
Last 9: 72-44, 62 % winning pct.

If you take out his first year it is
years 2-10: 69-43, 61.6%
years 11-19: 72-44, 62%

He is frustrating at times, but he is the model of consistency.

Break it down by 5 year windows?
1-5: 32-29, 52.5%
6-10: 38-24, 61.3%
11-15: 38-26, 59.4%
16-19: 34-18, 65.4%

If Iowa goes 6-7 next year, it is still Ferentz best 5 year winning percentage in his 20 years.

That's actually not true....they look pretty similar....

1st 10 years - 70 total wins
2nd 9 years - 72 total wins

1st 10 years - 43 B1G wins with 1 undefeated B1G regular season
2nd 9 years - 43 B1G wins with 1 undefeated B1G regular season

1st 10 years - 3 10 win seasons
2nd 9 years - 2 10 win seasons

1st 10 years - 4 bowl wins, 1 BCS-level bowl appearance
2nd 9 years - 2 bowl wins, 2 BSC-level bowl appearance with 1 win

1st 10 years - 3 seasons of 6+ conference wins with 2 conference titles
2nd 9 years - 3 seasons of 6+ conference wins with 1 division title

I don't have the stats for draft picks, all B1G selections, all americans, etc....but I'm pretty certain that those are comparable too.

I know it's sometimes easy for "nostalgia" to set in, but in reality, KFs 2nd decade has looked remarkably close to his first decade.....
1st ten years = 2 conference titles.
2nd ten years = 0 conference titles.

Actually it does

Perception isn't always reality. You hate Ferentz, we get it. I have my problems with him as well, but the facts don't support your line of thinking unless it is championship or bust for you.

This probably belongs in the football board too, but I was curious so gathered some stats.

If Iowa goes 6-7 next year, it is still Ferentz best 5 year winning percentage in his 20 years.
Break it down by margin of victory/loss. For shits and giggles.

Now you are just trying to be difficult. Had their been a conference championship game in the first 10 years, who knows how those play out.
But at least you admit that is your only criteria.

Well, that's the key difference. Basically, most of KF's accolades have been all about 2002-04. Otherwise, he's essentially been a 7-5 or 8-4 coach.

BUT - would the 2002 or 2004 teams have gotten a title if they had to play a conference title game the way the 2015 team did? Would Iowa have beaten OSU in 2002, or Michigan in '04? Hard to say. Iowa lost to UM head to head in '04 earlier in the year, and somewhat handily. I liked the '02 team's chances against OSU, though.

Without a title game, the 2015 team went 8-0 and would've had another shared title to go along with '02 and '04 if we're going by the same conference championship system.

Last edited:
Actually it does

When the first paragraph of your response is a lie, it's hard to take the rest of it seriously.

Now you are just trying to be difficult. Had their been a conference championship game in the first 10 years, who knows how those play out.
But at least you admit that is your only criteria.
It's my criteria that I base my opinions off of.
How about Bowl wins? Regular season records can be skewed by cupcake schedules. Bowl games are supposed to pit evenly matched opponents.

Well, that's the key difference. Basically, most of KF's accolades have been all about 2002-04. Otherwise, he's essentially been a 7-5 or 8-4 coach.

I'd also point out that 2015 would have been another conference title if it had been pre-conference title game days like his 2002 & 2004 titles were. It would have been another shared title in'15. 8-0 regular season in 2015. Just lost to MSU in Indy, unfortunately.

If there had been a title game in the 2000's, would Iowa have beaten OSU in 2002, or Michigan in '04? Hard to say. Iowa lost to UM head to head in '04 earlier in the year, and somewhat handily. I liked the '02 team's chances against OSU, though.
What about Bowl wins?

It's my criteria that I base my opinions off of.
How about Bowl wins? Regular season records can be skewed by cupcake schedules. Bowl games are supposed to pit evenly matched opponents.
Except Iowa usually plays up 1 or 2 spots.

Basically you want to look at only stats in your favor, i am showing you that there are plenty that go against that.

What about Bowl wins?
I get it. Bowl wins or losses leave the longest perception of a team because it is 9 months to either celebrate or stew over it, but exhibition games don't matter as much as regular season games.

The one post season game that has mattered the most, Iowa was within an inch or two on multiple occasions of winning.

Latest posts