What level of incompetence does Brian Ferentz have to exhibit to be fired?

Okay, this game is okay.

But next Saturday against Wisconsin we will all be pulling our hair out watching the Hawks struggle to get to double digits.

Okay, this game is okay.

But next Saturday against Wisconsin we will all be pulling our hair out watching the Hawks struggle to get to double digits.

Did you watch the garbage they had on the field today up there. BYU isn't good

WI isn't as "scary" as you all think

B. Ferentz's offense looked quite good out there today. I think he is showing us that he will not be the same old conventional Offensive Coordinator that we have seen in the recent past. Tempo changes, seemingly better passing routes, good mix up with the run. It was exciting. It was fun. It looked very competent.

B. Ferentz's offense looked quite good out there today. I think he is showing us that he will not be the same old conventional Offensive Coordinator that we have seen in the recent past. Tempo changes, seemingly better passing routes, good mix up with the run. It was exciting. It was fun. It looked very competent.

He showed us last year too. Jekyll Hyde

He showed us last year too. Jekyll Hyde

Agreed. Obviously a first time OC will gain valuable experience with every game. I think this years play calling has been much better. I think what is really irritating now is self inflicted wounds. We had 10 penalties, luckily they weren’t all drive killers against UNI. We do that vs Wisconsin it will be tough to overcome.

Last night was a lot of KOK type calls. Overall a good called game but hard to take away anything against such a horrible opponent. I still don’t get the read option ever being called and he is still automatically calling draws on 3rd and 9 which is just dumb.

Last night was a lot of KOK type calls. Overall a good called game but hard to take away anything against such a horrible opponent. I still don’t get the read option ever being called and he is still automatically calling draws on 3rd and 9 which is just dumb.

What?

3rd and 22 run
3rd and 5 pass
3rd and 8 pass
3rd and 5 pass
3rd and 5 run
3rd and 7 pass
3rd and 4 pass
3rd and 3 pass
3rd and 6 pass
3rd and 4 pass

I'm rarely critical of players, but for anyone who thinks this in on BF, and not the QB, or QB Coach KOK, I'm not sure what you watched on the field this year.

To me it is clear NS is holding on, trying not to throw high balls. Steering the ball, which results in throws behind the receiver, and balls in the dirt.

While the stadium erupted after Fant's long pass reception, the reality is that Fant lined up on the right side, and crossed the field. A slow developing passing play. With very good pass protection. NS had enough time to look through receivers, or look off. Neither happened. Since anyone with an IQ above 12 clearly saw this, I wonder if maybe next week's opponents missed it?

Go watch the replay. Then explain to me how this is on the offensive coordinator, and the QB coach is left with no criticism.

I hope NS developed some confidence in yesterday evening's game, otherwise some opposing DBs and safeties are going to feast on Iowa this season.

Did you watch the garbage they had on the field today up there. BYU isn't good

WI isn't as "scary" as you all think

Wisconsin has shown they are beatable. BYU did a really good job making the Wisconsin linebackers run sideline to sideline. News flash they are not capable of it.

Problem is, Wisconsin is still one of the toughest teams inside a phone booth. Iowa has to find some way to stretch the LB's. It isn't exactly our strong suit. BYU is a completely different matchup than Iowa. The encouraging thing is BYU really slowed down the run game. I think Iowa's D has a legitimate chance to "shut the run game down".

Agreed. Obviously a first time OC will gain valuable experience with every game. I think this years play calling has been much better. I think what is really irritating now is self inflicted wounds. We had 10 penalties, luckily they weren’t all drive killers against UNI. We do that vs Wisconsin it will be tough to overcome.

I hope so. Would be so nice to go through a season win or lose without the feeling that a lot was left on the table. We almost got there in 2015 until the Rose Bowl. BF has shown so much more than Davis at times. Hopefully just experience.

What?

3rd and 22 run
3rd and 5 pass
3rd and 8 pass
3rd and 5 pass
3rd and 5 run
3rd and 7 pass
3rd and 4 pass
3rd and 3 pass
3rd and 6 pass
3rd and 4 pass
He called a 3rd down draw early on. I didn’t say that’s all he calls. When we play someone good he will do it a lot. Last night means jack shit it was an FCS team.

I don't mean to come at cha bro, but I think you might be experiencing Iowa football PTSD.

I know it's hard look past 20 years of an almost identical product with identical plays, but the play calling last night was extremely aggressive and very pass happy. We could have rushed for another 100 yards, but it would have been at the detriment of the passing game. Brian did exactly what was needed. He used the inferior opponent to work on developing some rhythm in the pass game.

I find myself defending Brian alot on these boards. More so than on others. It's kind of weird because I still haven't made my mind up yet about Brian, but how in the hell are we bagging the guy when he is doing what he can to bring the offense along. It's not like he isn't acknowledging the passing game needs work. All he can do as an OC is call plays to get us experience. He doesn't coach the QB. He doesn't coach the RB's or the WR's. The unit that he does coach is low and behold the best position unit on the offense by a long shot.

That said week 4 is Brian's big mid term test. If Brian has nothing for Wisconsin and we can't find a way to put up offensive points against Whisky then I will be moving closer to the Brian is not worthy camp.

I don't mean to come at cha bro, but I think you might be experiencing Iowa football PTSD.

I know it's hard look past 20 years of an almost identical product with identical plays, but the play calling last night was extremely aggressive and very pass happy. We could have rushed for another 100 yards, but it would have been at the detriment of the passing game. Brian did exactly what was needed. He used the inferior opponent to work on developing some rhythm in the pass game.

I find myself defending Brian alot on these boards. More so than on others. It's kind of weird because I still haven't made my mind up yet about Brian, but how in the hell are we bagging the guy when he is doing what he can to bring the offense along. It's not like he isn't acknowledging the passing game needs work. All he can do as an OC is call plays to get us experience. He doesn't coach the QB. He doesn't coach the RB's or the WR's. The unit that he does coach is low and behold the best position unit on the offense by a long shot.

That said week 4 is Brian's big mid term test. If Brian has nothing for Wisconsin and we can't find a way to put up offensive points against Whisky then I will be moving closer to the Brian is not worthy camp.
If any of the Ferentz nutriders had been on the game thread you would have seen that I was complimenting the play calls a lot. I simply think the read option is an ignorant call from an inexperienced OC. I also do agree that overall he called a good game. I was just saying that there are always some real head scratchers with Brian. I wouldn’t read into a game against UNI too much.

BF = Iowa throwing more on 1st down
BF = Iowa running n 2nd down, after throwing on 1st down

vs ISU - Broke tendency, threw on 1st and 2nd down. Arguably the two best offensive plays of the game

KOK = A QB holding on to throws?

BF U+2260; 2260 KOK

If any of the Ferentz nutriders had been on the game thread you would have seen that I was complimenting the play calls a lot. I simply think the read option is an ignorant call from an inexperienced OC. I also do agree that overall he called a good game. I was just saying that there are always some real head scratchers with Brian. I wouldn’t read into a game against UNI too much.

Ya I'm not reading anything into beating UNI other than we actually dominated an inferior opponent instead of playing conservative and eeking one out.

Hasn't that always been the knock on Kirk? Well me thinks Brian likes the gas pedal and would prefer to blow lesser team off of the field. That's refreshing in my book. Is it enough? Not on it's own, but it's a start.

It really is weird how hard some folks try to defend a Ferentz.

Nothing to do with defending someone with the same last name as the head coach.

Everything to do with being objective.

Not many people defended trying to throw into a 3-4 last season, or pulling out a KOK play that resulted in a safety.

It's like politics, we really don't understand policy, but boy, we really like to post emotion and hatred filled platitudes. Same thing here. Play calling doesn't make the QB's technique flawed, the QB makes the QB's technique flawed. Who is the QB coach?