What level of incompetence does Brian Ferentz have to exhibit to be fired?

KF coaches by crisis. There is always something of huge proportion that doesnt make sense.

This isnt about jelling. Wisky last year was later. Florida the year before. Purdue was late.
It looked like they had no clue about Stamford's running game. That was late wasnt it.
Its frustrating to see teams so close to beibg elite but there is always someting. The change in teams the first 3 games of the season is very high. Iowa had a huge advantage being at home and having played. Nice win. Huge concerns.

Lol
There is "always something" by the very nature of College Football. Players graduate and FR come in. Every team faces these issues every season.
The issue is that it's always the offense under KF. More so now that he was allowed to elevate his son as OC.

Here is a real question. Why can't the group of fans that expect perennial championships actually be happy when we win games? Especially since the same people are always certain we are going to get crushed by a "real" team. Instead of enjoying wins they wring their hands over future games and grumble about shortcomings. Why even watch?

But you have to look at how a team is playing, how they are even winning. The hawks shouldnt be in the top 30 with this offense. Yes ISU plays a junk yard dog kind of defense and NIU has a pretty good defense maybe but this offense does not look very good yet. And some play calling seemed odd.

KF coaches by crisis. There is always something of huge proportion that doesnt make sense.

This isnt about jelling. Wisky last year was later. Florida the year before. Purdue was late.
It looked like they had no clue about Stamford's running game. That was late wasnt it.
Its frustrating to see teams so close to beibg elite but there is always someting. The change in teams the first 3 games of the season is very high. Iowa had a huge advantage being at home and having played. Nice win. Huge concerns.

Lol

Lol yes there are concerns. The exact same concerns that we have every year. Why does our QB look bad? How is the rushing game going to get better? How is it possible that we don't have a D1 WR?

For anyone who is confused. I'm not saying our offense is good? It's not. It is however the same offensive limitations that we have had for years. We should have all known this coming into the season. People are whining like they thought we were going to be the Kurt Warner Rams. It just doesn't make sense. That said. I think the OL has a lot of room to grow and that is usually a good sign. We are winning and the OL isn't even humming yet. Kirk will get them humming sooner or later and traditionally it's sooner. I think the run game will see a nice boost once that OL starts clicking. 9 or 10 wins is a legit possibility.

There is "always something" by the very nature of College Football. Players graduate and FR come in. Every team faces these issues every season.
The issue is that it's always the offense under KF. More so now that he was allowed to elevate his son as OC.

Ive lived in a number of Big states. What KF teams exhibit is not normal. To be that good at so many things and that bad at some is not normal.

Yes. Show me a quote where a poster on this board said BF should be the next coach.
I wasn't referring to anyone on this board, but I'm sure Clinton and Huckfinn have mentioned more than once. I know there have been others on this site as well. I was referring to people on Twitter & Facebook mostly.

Lol yes there are concerns. The exact same concerns that we have every year. Why does our QB look bad? How is the rushing game going to get better? How is it possible that we don't have a D1 WR?

For anyone who is confused. I'm not saying our offense is good? It's not. It is however the same offensive limitations that we have had for years. We should have all known this coming into the season. People are whining like they thought we were going to be the Kurt Warner Rams. It just doesn't make sense. That said. I think the OL has a lot of room to grow and that is usually a good sign. We are winning and the OL isn't even humming yet. Kirk will get them humming sooner or later and traditionally it's sooner. I think the run game will see a nice boost once that OL starts clicking. 9 or 10 wins is a legit possibility.

totally agree with most of it. Doesn't always get it humming. 9 or 10 is within reach. Maybe more,

Am wondering is NS is hurt.

Last edited:
-Iowa's offense looked like an unpolished turd for 8 games last season. 3 of the last 4 games. We averaged 257 yards per game over the last 4 games and that includes the 505 yards against Nebraska. How does that fact fit your narrative?
-Who isn't happy that we won?
-Why is it a problem to openly discuss our shortcomings? Especially since these shortcomings could be the result of nepotism?

Firstly, I don't have a narrative. I am not making sweeping statements about anything.

Secondly, I never stated that the offense always gets good. My point was why waste energy being mad at the offense which is almost always god awful at this point in the season. It will either get better or it won't, but did you really think it would be good yet?

Thirdly, Your comments lead one to believe that you are unhappy with the win, because it wasn't good enough.

Lastly, What discussion are you initializing by posting pearls like this "A real defense will strangle us, no doubt. As long as they stack the box." Quit making it sound like there are so many teams that would own us. There are only about a dozen. Either you're first, or you're last?

P.S there is only 1 team we play that I believe has the ability to strangle us that we might not strangle right back.

But you have to look at how a team is playing, how they are even winning. The hawks shouldnt be in the top 30 with this offense. Yes ISU plays a junk yard dog kind of defense and NIU has a pretty good defense maybe but this offense does not look very good yet. And some play calling seemed odd.
The issue is that KF has now had 2 opportunities to upgrade the offense/OC position. He did not. That's 100% on his shoulders and it's 100% reasonable for fans to point this out, after every game his offense stinks up the field of play.

It was a Big 12 defense that beat Oklahoma and TCU last year...two top 5 teams. I played golf with the Lama too...big hitter the lama...and he told me, things improve over time and KF's offensive teams don't really start gelling for five or six games. Does everyone forget the Pittsburgh game in 2015? Our offense was terrible. Beathard got absolutely abused and was lucky he wasn't killed..they won with a 57 yard field goal. This ISU team had a much, much better pedigree and team than that Pitt team. Stop freaking complaining until you don't see improvement...then complain.

Great teams aren't always great...they are just great when they have to be. Let's give the boys a chance, ok. That being said, I'm worried about UNI this week.
This is exactly why we are complaining. Knowing that our offense is usually one of the most boring and predictable in the country, and it never gets rolling for 5-6 games then why would we be happy that he hired his incapable, unqualified son as OC over actual deserving coordinators? This team could be great with this defense and a good OC. It’s a 12-0 or 11-1 schedule but we will lose 4 games because of it like we normally do. We should never have to worry about teams like UNI!

Last edited:
We are right where KF wants to be 91st in team offense. It's like watching paint dry on a fence in 100 degree heat with a 97% humidity index. It's gross, not fun and I would never choose to do it unless I had to.

yotally afree with most of it. Doesn't always get it humming. 9 or 10 is within reach. Maybe more,

Am wondering is NS is hurt.

As for Nate. I could obviously be wrong, but I don't think he is hurt. I think he is throwing the ball low because he is aiming. It's similar to a pitcher that is throwing heat, but it dives for the dirt at the plate. A little to much force applied by the guiding fingers upon release. O'Keefe has clearly worked on Stanley's release point and release time over the off-season. It appears to me that Stanley is still working on the muscle memory. He just needs to find the natural release and do it 1000 times to burn it in. Hopefully that can happen during the season, but it may not. Positive note though the deep ball is looking more fluid and the placement has been improved except for 1 stinker.

Firstly, I don't have a narrative. I am not making sweeping statements about anything.

Secondly, I never stated that the offense always gets good. My point was why waste energy being mad at the offense which is almost always god awful at this point in the season. It will either get better or it won't, but did you really think it would be good yet?

Thirdly, Your comments lead one to believe that you are unhappy with the win, because it wasn't good enough.

Lastly, What discussion are you initializing by posting pearls like this "A real defense will strangle us, no doubt. As long as they stack the box." Quit making it sound like there are so many teams that would own us. There are only about a dozen. Either you're first, or you're last?

P.S there is only 1 team we play that I believe has the ability to strangle us that we might not strangle right back.
"News Flash: Iowa's offense looks like an unpolished turd at the start of _______ season. Fill in the year. Doesn't matter which year you pick." THAT'S A SWEEPING STATEMENT. And it's a false statement, by the way. Check out the 2002 season.
- You just want to put words in my mouth because you don't like what I am saying. You can do your mental gymnastics regarding what I think may or may not be good enough. Knock yourself out. Don't get mad when I take issue with what you believe I am really thinking.
- I was agreeing with a comment another poster made. Or didn't the fact that I was quoting another poster "lead you to believe that"?
P.S. If our defense is good enough, we can win 12 or 13 games. That doesn't free the offense/OC of criticism for their contribution. Neither does that mean I won't be ecstatic with the results of our season. I will be.

Last edited:
This is exactly why we are complaining. Knowing that our offense is usually one of the most boring and predictable in the country, and it never gets rolling for 5-6 games then why would we be happy that he hired his incapable, unqualified son as OC over actual deserving coordinators? This team could be great with this defense and a good OC. It’s a 12-0 or 10-1 schedule but we will lose 4 games because of it like we normally do. We should never have to worry about teams like UNI!

And Penn St should never have to worry about Appalachian St.

Serious question. Have you ever played Football?

"News Flash: Iowa's offense looks like an unpolished turd at the start of _______ season. Fill in the year. Doesn't matter which year you pick." THAT'S A SWEEPING STATEMENT.
- You just want to put words in my mouth because you don't like what I am saying. You can do your mental gymnastics regarding what I think may or may not be good enough. Knock yourself out. Don't get mad when I take issue with what you believe I am really thinking.
- I was agreeing with a comment another poster made. Or didn't the fact that I was quoting another poster "lead you to believe that"?
P.S. If our defense is good enough, we can win 12 or 13 games. That doesn't free the offense/OC of criticism for their contribution. Neither does that mean I won't be ecstatic with the results of our season. I will be.

"A real defense will strangle us". Here don't let me twist your words. Go ahead and tell me now which "real" defenses will strangle us? Then elaborate what the definition of "strangle" is in tangible football context.

"A real defense will strangle us". Here don't let me twist your words. Go ahead and tell me now which "real" defenses will strangle us? Then elaborate what the definition of "strangle" is in tangible football context.
Team Stats

Stat -----------------------IOWA----------------WIS
First Downs---------------
5 --------------------18
Rush-Yds-TDs ------26-25-0--------------49-247-2
Cmp-Att-Yd-TD-INT- 8-24-41-0-1----- 11-18-135-2-3
Total Yards---------------- 66 ------------------382
Fumbles-Lost------------ 2-2 ------------------3-1
Turnovers------------------ 3--------------------- 4
Penalties-Yards --------5-32----------------- 6-54

And Penn St should never have to worry about Appalachian St.

Serious question. Have you ever played Football?
Yes I played football. Are you going to tell me because you played football once upon a time Uncle Rico that it takes time for teams to get rolling? I don’t disagree with that notion but a team like Iowa should never have 26 yards passing at the half. Beathard who was a way better athlete than Stanley had several games with less that 100 yards total. Then you see a kid like Weigers who couldn’t sniff the field at Iowa put 20-28 for 300 on Purdue. Remember Stanley’s 16-33 performance last year? I also never had a coach call the same play over and over into a 8 or 9 man front, which Brian might have learned had he ever called a play at a high school.

As for Nate. I could obviously be wrong, but I don't think he is hurt. I think he is throwing the ball low because he is aiming. It's similar to a pitcher that is throwing heat, but it dives for the dirt at the plate. A little to much force applied by the guiding fingers upon release. O'Keefe has clearly worked on Stanley's release point and release time over the off-season. It appears to me that Stanley is still working on the muscle memory. He just needs to find the natural release and do it 1000 times to burn it in. Hopefully that can happen during the season, but it may not. Positive note though the deep ball is looking more fluid and the placement has been improved except for 1 stinker.
You and I are incomplete agreement about Nate Stanley. I would also point out that opposing DC's have game film on Stanley now, because of last season. They are going to present smaller windows for him to throw into because of that. Smaller windows means tighter, harder throws. And most 2nd year QBs face this problem and their stats suffer because of it. That does not mean Stanley is worse this year or that he has "regressed'. I don't think that's the case.

Well, the good news is that we get to play an FCS team next week. We should get our total offense ranking back into the nineties.

Latest posts