What is this team's record if Fran had signed 2 guards, rather than Garza/Nunge?

lightning1

I think this team would be 5 or 6 games better. It's like Fran doubled down on the poor 13'/14' recruiting classes by stuffing this forward heavy roster with 2 more bigs.

I think this team would be 5 or 6 games better. It's like Fran doubled down on the poor 13'/14' recruiting classes by stuffing this forward heavy roster with 2 more bigs.
totally agree. He has a skilled football team without a quarterback. Ya, he has a guy who is very good that can dribble and shoot. But not a quarterback.

What would this teams record be without the Bullshit I got 11 man rotation comment to start the year? And actually do it. Seriously Fran is a complete moron..

To answer your OP I think we would have several more wins. I’ve been saying all year we need to be playing smaller. The big lineups just aren’t effective.

Side note: what guards would have signed with Iowa knowing we returned 2 freshman starters, were bringing in the coaches son at guard, and also had a top 50 guy signed in the 2018 class?

Why would we assume that the guards would be better defenders as freshmen than Moss and Dailey? We don't need random new guards. We need upgrades over the guards we have. If all we needed was a random guard who could defend, we had one when McCaffery signed Nunge and Garza.

Here's another question. Say there was some way to know Garza and Nunge will both turn out to be really good. Would it be worth a throw away this yearto have them both for the next 3?

To answer your OP I think we would have several more wins. I’ve been saying all year we need to be playing smaller. The big lineups just aren’t effective.

Side note: what guards would have signed with Iowa knowing we returned 2 freshman starters, were bringing in the coaches son at guard, and also had a top 50 guy signed in the 2018 class?

Good point. If we were just going to sign 2 more guys like Moss and Dailey, I would rather take my chances with Nunge and Garza, then hope for better guards in the future. We don't know near as much about Connor and Fredrick as Fran does (or thinks he does). Maybe he feels really good with a guard lineup of

Connor
Bohannon
Weiskamp
Fredrick
Moss
Dailey

Why would we assume that the guards would be better defenders as freshmen than Moss and Dailey? We don't need random new guards. We need upgrades over the guards we have. If all we needed was a random guard who could defend, we had one when McCaffery signed Nunge and Garza.

Here's another question. Say there was some way to know Garza and Nunge will both turn out to be really good. Would it be worth a throw away this yearto have them both for the next 3?

It'd be hard to find any worse!

If all we needed to be a bubble team was play more random guards, Ellingson would be playing more.

I was assuming Fran would have gone after a couple guards who could actually defend but that's probably giving him too much credit.

I was assuming Fran would have gone after a couple guards who could actually defend but that's probably giving him too much credit.

Just because they can defend doesn't even mean they are better. If you find a guard who can defend but sucks on offense, you're really not any better off. (See Williams) We needed guards who were upgrades over Moss and Baer really. Upgrades on both ends of the floor.

Just because they can defend doesn't even mean they are better. If you find a guard who can defend but sucks on offense, you're really not any better off. (See Williams) We needed guards who were upgrades over Moss and Baer really. Upgrades on both ends of the floor.

Which shouldn't be hard at all but for some reason Fran can't do it.

Couple things I’d add before 56 derails this thread.

We knew when Williams left we were probably a guard short this year, and especially defensively.

I’m happy with the Garza and Nunge signings. I’m not sure what guards we would have been able to sign given who we had and especially having a coaches son coming in.

I’ve maintained all year wrong that Fran has done a very poor job of managing this team. I still think we could have played smaller and got more athleticism on the floor this year. It’s not the only thing that matters defensively but it can help to cover for our atrocious positioning.

But over anything else when I look at this season from the outside it’s pretty clear to me that there is some sort of internal issue. Nobody plays hard or for one another. There is no leader.

Two good defensive guards can make all of the difference in the world. We'll never know as long as Fran is our coach but trust me, they can make all the difference in the world.

I thought about that but then would lose two BIG interior guys so teams would scheme to kill Iowa on the inside, because Iowa doesn't seem to treat defense or teach it as a top priority. I think an opposing team would just exploit the opposite. In addition, take away Garza's offensive play and points.

My point is that it seems to be a systemic problem at Iowa so would not make that much of a difference. I was merely taking a jab with my response. Get the defense straight IOWA!

Latest posts