What is the best format for determining the national champion?

ChosenChildren

I think this year is going to be a disaster as the committee tries to select only 4 teams. There is too much parity among and too little difference in the top 20 teams to limit it to just four.

So, what is the answer? Should even more teams be in the playoff, resulting in more games? Injuries are so frequent, that it almost seems unfair to me to subject these players to even MORE games. Should the regular season be shortened so that more teams can play in the tournament at the end?

Or, did they have it right BEFORE the playoffs....in other words, go back to the original bowl system, under which the final AP and UPI polls determined the national champions? In retrospect, was the old subjective system of voting a "mythical" national champion after the bowls actually a better one?

I think the powers that be will be tempted to go to an eight team playoff in the near future....four just doesn't seem like the correct number to me...many quality teams will be left out this year (can you imagine the NCAA basketball tournament with just FOUR teams?).

I would love to hear other thoughts on this subject.

Players put in work all year just to play the games. If it went to 8 teams, the teams playing 1 more game would love it.

If the fourth team wins the championship even occasionally, there would be a reason to expand to expand to eight teams. If the first three teams consistently win...not so much. Looking at last year alone, I'd say eight teams should be selected. Someone will always have a gripe about not getting in, though.

16 is the correct numner. Conference championship game becomes round #1, so all teams have a legit shot at the playoffs by winning your conference division. This way more than just the blue bloods will get into the playoffs.

8 or 16 probably. People say it dilutes the regular season. But personally, I don't think a team deserves to be left out because they have a bad day or 2. And everyone loves playoffs

I have always felt 12 teams was the magic number. There have been years where I felt there were as many as 10 teams with a legitimate claim to the NC, but never more than 10.

16 is too much, then you get into teams that do not deserve a shot at the NC. 8 is too small. should stop at 10 but I propose 12 to make sure you get rhe right mix of conference champs and at-large teams.

invite the the top 6 conference champions, and 6 at-large teams. top 4 conference champs get a bye.

8 or 16 probably. People say it dilutes the regular season. But personally, I don't think a team deserves to be left out because they have a bad day or 2. And everyone loves playoffs

I don't think it dilutes the playoffs at all. More excitement as there are more races to grab more playoff spots which creates more excitement, and more fan bases are involved with the playoffs.

Judging teams is just too subjective with the schedules that are played. Is a 1 loss Bama really better than an undefeated Baylor, TCU, Okie St, Iowa???? Why let some biased individuals decide instead of letting them play it out on the field?

A panel of TRUE experts should be convened. 20-30 hours a week of game film needs to be watched by all experts, together, from the start of the season until it's time to pick the Final 2 teams. When they have come to an agreement, they submit their results to me, which I take into consideration. When I'm done with that nonsense, I'll submit it to the circular file and pick the most deserving team (cough...Iowa....cough).
Let the reign of pain commence!

I like four playoff teams. It really retains the "every game matters" vibe. If we go to 8, then you'll have teams sitting guys like week 16 of the NFL. And an 8 team field would be stacked with 3 SEC teams.

8 is enough. The 9th- 16th teams have no shot. It's not like basketball. Usually a big drop off after the top 8. If you are on the edge of 8, you can't complain about not getting in. No matter what, there will always be some sort of national bias that is completely ridiculous. It's just human nature.

8 is enough. The 9th- 16th teams have no shot. It's not like basketball. Usually a big drop off after the top 8. If you are on the edge of 8, you can't complain about not getting in. No matter what, there will always be some sort of national bias that is completely ridiculous. It's just human nature.

If it is 8 team playoff with 5 conference champs getting spots, it automatically a 13 team playoff (10 teams playing in conference championships and 3 at large teams) already. Might as well add 3 more at larges and make it 16

This is about as close as it's ever been. At least it's settled on the field. There are always going to be the two deserving teams that are left out, regardless of how many are in the playoffs. I think that is where the computer comes into play to compare SOS & results.

To me, NO undefeated P5 team should ever be left out of the chance to win the NC or be left out of the playoffs. To go undeafeated during conference play is a big deal. Perhaps in those rare scenerios they could design a flexible playoff system with byes. Don't know, but it would suck being an undefeated P5 & sitting home because only 4 spots.

4 Team is fine just the way it is. Let's let this year play out. Still a lot of games to be played and time for teams to eliminate themselves from qualification with losses.

Every game matters and that's why college football is so great!

I have always felt 12 teams was the magic number. There have been years where I felt there were as many as 10 teams with a legitimate claim to the NC, but never more than 10.

16 is too much, then you get into teams that do not deserve a shot at the NC. 8 is too small. should stop at 10 but I propose 12 to make sure you get rhe right mix of conference champs and at-large teams.

invite the the top 6 conference champions, and 6 at-large teams. top 4 conference champs get a bye.

So you get to the same problem... how do you determine who the top 4 conference champs are?

The best format? Put Colin Cowherd, Jim Rome, Lou Holtz and 13 other hacks in the U$C and ND locker rooms. Each one "services" the squad. The squads then pick the "best" eight, and those eight become The New Committee.

It won't come any closer to getting a "true" national champion, but it's certainly more obvious of how objective (or not) The Committee is (or isn't).

I think the biggest change should be made with scheduling. These big conferences need to schedule each other home and away. Possibly reduce conference schedule by a game to allow revenue to still flow to the smaller schools. Also each conference that wants consideration needs a championship game. Criteria for consideration: have to be conference champion, need out of conference road win vs Major conference school, best records rule.

Last edited: