What is the best format for determining the national champion?

I say 8 teams and the NCAA institutes a rule. If you wish to participate in the CFP then you need to schedule at least 3 FBS schools from Power 5 conferences as out of conference games. This would eliminate the "Your non-con games were weak therefore you do not deserve to play in the CFP" yammering.

I say 8 teams and the NCAA institutes a rule. If you wish to participate in the CFP then you need to schedule at least 3 FBS schools from Power 5 conferences as out of conference games. This would eliminate the "Your non-con games were weak therefore you do not deserve to play in the CFP" yammering.

I doubt the NCAA would do that because the NCAA has never had a role in determining the national champion.

If that happens I'll change my stance. I just don't see this many teams staying undefeated and I don't see a Power conference champion being left out if they are undefeated.

Anything can happen but even a one loss big ten champion team should get in...if its osu or MSU most likely...as there are 5 big ten teams minus wisconsin in the cfp rankings and the conference ranks at the top of the conference rankings. I'm just saying there is ZERO chance that an undefeated big ten team gets left out. ZERO. YOU CAN POST THIS ON YOUR I TOLD YOU SO WALL AND THROW IT AWAY AFTER AN UNDEFEATED BT TEAM IS IN. I don't care if it's Iowa and we beat undefeated osu in the BT championship and we are ranked 7th and everyone above us wins...they will jump iowa up just as they did osu last year. It is impossible to leave an undefeated big ten champ out of the playoff. MSU and osu would both have 2 more top 8 wins...iowa one more over a top 3...big ten undefeated is in...stop worrying.

Anything can happen but even a one loss big ten champion team should get in...if its osu or MSU most likely...as there are 5 big ten teams minus wisconsin in the cfp rankings and the conference ranks at the top of the conference rankings. I'm just saying there is ZERO chance that an undefeated big ten team gets left out. ZERO. YOU CAN POST THIS ON YOUR I TOLD YOU SO WALL AND THROW IT AWAY AFTER AN UNDEFEATED BT TEAM IS IN. I don't care if it's Iowa and we beat undefeated osu in the BT championship and we are ranked 7th and everyone above us wins...they will jump iowa up just as they did osu last year. It is impossible to leave an undefeated big ten champ out of the playoff. MSU and osu would both have 2 more top 8 wins...iowa one more over a top 3...big ten undefeated is in...stop worrying.

I agree that when it all shakes out that if Iowa is undefeated (which I doubt anyway) that they would 99% likely make the playoffs. On the off chance though that Clemenson, LSU/Bama, TCU/Baylor and Notre Dame win out, then a undefeated Iowa would be staying home. If don't see any scenero where a 1 loss ND doesn't make the playoffs.

This is is why the current system is crap. A 1 loss Bama, OSU, Texas, Florida, USC, Notre Dame will never, ever, ever be left out of the playoffs. Whereas a 1 loss Iowa, TCU, Baylor, North Carolina, etc will never ever make the playoffs.

I agree that when it all shakes out that if Iowa is undefeated (which I doubt anyway) that they would 99% likely make the playoffs. On the off chance though that Clemenson, LSU/Bama, TCU/Baylor and Notre Dame win out, then a undefeated Iowa would be staying home. If don't see any scenero where a 1 loss ND doesn't make the playoffs.

This is is why the current system is crap. A 1 loss Bama, OSU, Texas, Florida, USC, Notre Dame will never, ever, ever be left out of the playoffs. Whereas a 1 loss Iowa, TCU, Baylor, North Carolina, etc will never ever make the playoffs.

8 teams... power 5 conference champs and 3 at large. No conference can have more than two teams in.

Solves the whole thing.
Yep, that's what I've said all along.

Gives teams like this year's Memphis a chance or yesteryear's Boise St.

Programs can decide to heavy load their non-conference or go "developmental" to shoot for 3 at-large and win the conference championship.

A one loss anyone....jesus..superman...Eva mendez...will ever make it in over an undefeated big ten team. Ever.

I suppose next you will tell me a 1 loss Bama with a softer SOS than Iowa was gonna be ranked #4 Vs Iowa at #9....I mean I'm sure Iowa can jump them when they play 4 below .500 teams and 1 top 5 team....whereas Bama will play the #2 team and another top #10 team. Yip I'm sure the national media will then all of a sudden change the Iowa narrative of playing nobody and the committee will jump Iowa up 5 spots and drop Bama down.

iowa would be the perfect big10 sacrificial lamb to leave out, have the big10 yell bloody murder and move to 8 team. anyone think Tex-OK big12 co-champs last season would have been left out? iowa 2015 = tcu/bay 2014

That said, i think an undefeated big10 team would pass an independent one-loss ND or Stanford. At least, i hope so. Knowing our luck, Iowa could have a dream season and have turn into a hit to the nether region.

A 3 game series would be best...the only way to determine a true champ in any sport is a series...

And please get all people out of picking who goes into a playoff...when humans are involved...personal bias will be #1 factor in assessing teams...

But since we can't do series in football...it is what it is...please don't turn it into a 16 team or more playoff though...why even watch the regular season at that point?

I suppose next you will tell me a 1 loss Bama with a softer SOS than Iowa was gonna be ranked #4 Vs Iowa at #9....I mean I'm sure Iowa can jump them when they play 4 below .500 teams and 1 top 5 team....whereas Bama will play the #2 team and another top #10 team. Yip I'm sure the national media will then all of a sudden change the Iowa narrative of playing nobody and the committee will jump Iowa up 5 spots and drop Bama down.
That's EXACTLY what I said using the English language. Your scenario would have an undefeated iowa team in the playoff. That committee would not last a day longer if that happened to a big ten football team with a win over undefeated returning national champion Ohio state. And who else is still left...LSU is out then....we would go in over nd...no way they out two one loss teams over us especially one that lost to clemson for a rematch. Tcu..baylor..the committee has already said what they think about once beaten big ten over that scenario last year. Your scenario hawks are in...yes.

Why are you crying about this? Lol cry if it happens...i'd be right there with a box of tissues. No, wait, I'd be the guy in the clocktower.

Why are you crying about this? Lol cry if it happens...i'd be right there with a box of tissues. No, wait, I'd be the guy in the clocktower.

What for your panties in a wad? I mean God forbid someone disagree with you that a 0 loss Iowa could get left out. Hope we never find out, but sorry to break it to you, and it seems like you are having a hard time accepting a different viewpoint, but I think there are sceneries that a 0 loss Iowa could get left out.

What for your panties in a wad? I mean God forbid someone disagree with you that a 0 loss Iowa could get left out. Hope we never find out, but sorry to break it to you, and it seems like you are having a hard time accepting a different viewpoint, but I think there are sceneries that a 0 loss Iowa could get left out.

Could it happen of course. You win. Just like the guy that thinks a blimp will crash into his house in Anchorage alaska...i suppose it could so he is right as well. Don't take my BELIEVING that it won't happen..being undefeated and left out of the playoffs...get confused with knowing that it won't happen. I just don't see a scenario where an undefeated big ten team gets left out. Disagree with me...argue that the a big six bowl wouldn't take us either over a one loss msu...you are welcome to your opinion..just don't attack me for believing with sound logic that we are fine.

Could it happen of course. You win. Just like the guy that thinks a blimp will crash into his house in Anchorage alaska...i suppose it could so he is right as well. Don't take my BELIEVING that it won't happen..being undefeated and left out of the playoffs...get confused with knowing that it won't happen. I just don't see a scenario where an undefeated big ten team gets left out. Disagree with me...argue that the a big six bowl wouldn't take us either over a one loss msu...you are welcome to your opinion..just don't attack me for believing with sound logic that we are fine.

You could have just said you were wrong and saved us all the whining.....but whatever.

You could have just said you were wrong and saved us all the whining.....but whatever.

You are consistently the biggest negative Nellie that I've seen here throughout the season....you are consistent....i'll give you that. Give your father a call or the school bully and tell them how you feel. I'm going to concentrate on rooting for the hawks instead or crying about everything.

You are consistently the biggest negative Nellie that I've seen here throughout the season....you are consistent....i'll give you that. Give your father a call or the school bully and tell them how you feel. I'm going to concentrate on rooting for the hawks instead or crying about everything.

LOL....now I'm a sunshine pumper to some and a negative Nellie to you.

Buck up dude if you are gonna post on here. Some people will have different opinions, no reason to get all worked up over it.

Until we go to a 16 team playoffs, the system just is slanted sooooo much toward blue bloods that the whole thing is bunk.

8 team playoff doesn't fix it either as conference champs have to play an extra game over at large teams, and that isn't fair. Why should ND only play 12 games, or an LSU who won't make the SEC title game only play 12 games.

16 teams (10 teams in conference championship games). 6 at large teams with play in games on conference championship week.

Latest posts