What is the best format for determining the national champion?

Until we go to a 16 team playoffs, the system just is slanted sooooo much toward blue bloods that the whole thing is bunk.

8 team playoff doesn't fix it either as conference champs have to play an extra game over at large teams, and that isn't fair. Why should ND only play 12 games, or an LSU who won't make the SEC title game only play 12 games.

16 teams (10 teams in conference championship games). 6 at large teams with play in games on conference championship week.

Your not going to back off your stance and neither am I, but 16 is way too many.

I like and want to stay with 4. I may be open minded to 8, but 16 ruins college football and the every game matters mentality.

Your not going to back off your stance and neither am I, but 16 is way too many.

I like and want to stay with 4. I may be open minded to 8, but 16 ruins college football and the every game matters mentality.

I also agree with 4...eight is the max...it still needs to have an elite quality and lets be honest it's not basketball or baseball where you can play 35+ games even back to back nights or one day off. Let's keep it special. I really like the idea of bowl affiliations....rose and orange semi finals...sugar championship...rotate 3-5 bowls in the mix. But let's max this out between 4-8 and have something special.

I never said you have to change your opinion, keep it, I don't care. Mine is my opinion, yours is yours, and the world will keep right on spinning just fine.

Just call the conference championship week "play in" week then, if you don't like 16 teams.....but that is in essence what a 8 team playoff (with 5 auto bids) would be. You can't get away from the fact that if a conference championship game determines a conference winner, that then becomes a de facto "playoff" game in and of itself.

The only way I could support a 8 team playoff though, is making the 3 at large teams have a "play in" game to get in as well. So when the 10 teams are playing for the 5 conference championship auto bids, you also have 6 teams playing for the 3 play in spots. I don't think it is fair that a Notre Dame, or any other team should get into the playoffs playing 1 less game than the teams playing for the conference championship have to play.

Last edited:

Latest posts