What does each Big 10 team lose next year

It would make sense since we were boarderline top 25 last year and with Garza's improvement and the upgrade with CJ, this would be quite a bit better than boarderline top 25. Probably close to top 10 like you said. With all the attention Garza demands, Cook could probably average 5 weak side putback dunks per game. With the way Fran coaches offense, I think he could make Cook and Garza work together fine. It's crazy how close Fran was to having 2 really good teams in a row coming off an overtime round of 32 loss.
It just goes to show you that at a school like Iowa we really can’t afford the early attrition. Unfortunately it’s just pretty tough to avoid right now in the current landscape.

I was briefly watching the Kansas ISU game last night and Fran Fraschilla was taking about how if you look through various mock drafts you will find like 75 different kids listed as first round draft picks, yet there are only 30 picks in the first round. He said the problem is these kids believe that stuff and have people telling them that stuff. He said Talen Horton Tucker was supposed to be a lottery guy after the preseason tournament they were in last year, but ended as a second round pick.

I understand guys wanting to get paid, but the NBA is such a beast of the league to crack. Majority of these guys should ultimately go overseas, but that will still be there after four years of college. Malcolm Brogdon, Monte Morris, and Niang are good examples of four year guys who have carved out NBA careers. You wish more guys would learn from that.

Sometimes less is more. And that was certainly the case with Cook/Garza. It's no secret that the reason Luka has flourished as much as he has this year is the fact that we're basically running a 4 out-1 in offense that allows him full use of the lane because Cook sure as heck wasn't going to step out anywhere outside of 10 feet.
I did address that in my post. But we were an OT away from the sweet 16 last year. Garza’s improved shot blocking and 3pt shot alone probably would push that team to top 15. Then throw Fredrick in the mix instead of Dailey and an offseason of improvement for the guys. That’s a very good basketball team despite some clunkiness when Cook and Garza are both on the floor.

Kentucky is ranked 10th with 3 less losses than us. Are all those players enough to overturn Penn State, Nebraska, and maybe Indiana? Very possibly. We could very easily be a top 10 team with those guys.

I don't think Cook being on the floor would clog things up any more than having Joe T and Connor out there. It would probably cost Garza 6 points per game, but Cook, Moss, and Bohannon would easily make up for it.

Garza, Cook, Wieskamp, CJ, and Bohannon would be an improved offense even tho it would hurt Garza a bit. Especially since you could play Cook and Garza 30 minutes each and still only have them in the floor at the same time for 20 minutes.

I just don't think we brought near as much toughness last year as we have this year. I don't think having Cook here allows Luka to let his natural leadership skills come thru. Teams aren't made in a vacuum and not all personalities and talents gel together. Whether it's business or sports. Sometimes it really is addition by subtraction.

I just don't think we brought near as much toughness last year as we have this year. I don't think having Cook here allows Luka to let his natural leadership skills come thru. Teams aren't made in a vacuum and not all personalities and talents gel together. Whether it's business or sports. Sometimes it really is addition by subtraction.

I get the thought process for sure. But last year's team was pretty damn tough. I'm not sure how you could make a good arguement that this team is tougher. Last year they had a huge comeback against northwestern to win on a last second shot. They stole the game from indiana at the end. They fought back like hell in both NCAA tournament games. They won a pre season tournament. The Rutgers win doesn't count because it was a lucky shot. That's a lot of tough moments they showed that year. They've been tough this year too, just not sure how it can be considered tougher.

I also think Garza is Garza no matter who's here.

I get the thought process for sure. But last year's team was pretty damn tough. I'm not sure how you could make a good arguement that this team is tougher. Last year they had a huge comeback against northwestern to win on a last second shot. They stole the game from indiana at the end. They fought back like hell in both NCAA tournament games. They won a pre season tournament. The Rutgers win doesn't count because it was a lucky shot. That's a lot of tough moments they showed that year. They've been tough this year too, just not sure how it can be considered tougher.

I also think Garza is Garza no matter who's here.
Good points. It seems last years team had quite a bit of grit too. Amazing how expectations shift the narratives.

I understand that Cook and Garza aren’t a perfect pair, and I also understand Cook and Moss had shortcomings which I often discussed. I just think Garza’s improvement has mostly been from the work he put in in the offseason. Heck his outside shot and mid range have improved a ton which would open up more space for Cook.

Had we returned all those guys, the ceiling would have been exponentially higher.

Would be interesting to see this analysis across the B1G, but with a note of what's coming in (freshman/transfers) or what's coming back (from injuries), and whether or not that's a net gain or net loss compared to who is leaving.

I say that knowing full well I won't/can't do it, but maybe someone will take that initiative. :)

If Garza and Weezy leave early, very doubtful the Hawks make the Big Dance next year. You'd have no proven inside presence at all -- Nunge is most comfortable playing the 4 and shooting 3s. JT has potential to penetrate, but teams sag off him daring him to shoot. Connor is also not a scorer. The other guards are stand-still shooters and not great at creating their own shot. Patrick Mac may never play again. Hopefully, the thought of playing with Bohannan and a possible BTen title influences Weezy and Garza, but I wouldn't bet on it. Garza has especially given great effort and proven all he can prove at the college level...very little reason for him to stay when he could make seriously big bucks overseas.

If Garza and Weezy leave early, very doubtful the Hawks make the Big Dance next year. You'd have no proven inside presence at all -- Nunge is most comfortable playing the 4 and shooting 3s. JT has potential to penetrate, but teams sag off him daring him to shoot. Connor is also not a scorer. The other guards are stand-still shooters and not great at creating their own shot. Patrick Mac may never play again. Hopefully, the thought of playing with Bohannan and a possible BTen title influences Weezy and Garza, but I wouldn't bet on it. Garza has especially given great effort and proven all he can prove at the college level...very little reason for him to stay when he could make seriously big bucks overseas.

I big time disagree that Garza has proven everything he can at the college level. It seemed like he didn't have much room left for improvement last year and he improved a ton. There is no reason to assume he can't improve a ton again. If he did, it would mean millions more for a first contract. If he improves his athleticism as much as he improved it last year, he will probably average a few more rebounds per game. That would look really good to NBA teams.

Some potentially really good players coming into the league next year. Michigan's class is highly regarded. Not sure Juwan Howard can coach, but he's proving to be a good recruiter so far.

Michigan State will be bringing in Joey Hauser the transfer from Marquette. I would expect him to be a 2nd Team All B1G type player from the start.

I agree that, from a personal standpoint, he won't have much left to prove in college. But from a team standpoint, he missed the NCAA's his first year and only reached the Round of 32 last year. Depending on what we do this year, he's such a team-first guy and you can tell he loves college that he may want to come back one more year to try and get a Final Four. If dude managed to do that, he'd have his number hanging in the rafters. That's called making a legacy.

Let’s go the other way and assume worst case (both Garza & Wieskamp go). Just for fun, well it’s not really fun but just for discussion.

Could this team at least make the tournament?

Toussaint
Bohannon
Fredrick
McCaffery
Nunge
McCaffery
Ogundele
Ulis
Perkins
Murray
Murray

I wouldn’t say it would be impossible. Would come down to P McCaffery, is he as good as his ranking? A healthy Nunge and how good is he? How much can Toussaint improve? None of those things are that crazy to see happening. Let’s just hope both guys return and we are talking about how high we can finish in the conference instead.
I will tell you Garzas dad has already said Luka is in to win it. What has Joe W showed you he has that kind of maturity?

Michigan State and Wisconsin should be good again. Illinois and Iowa will be right there if everyone comes back.

Maryland probably drops to the next tier with Rutgers, Ohio State and Purdue. Michigan loses a lot but always has talent as does Indiaba.

Penn State loses a ton and probably drops to the bottom tier. It’s hard to see Nebraska or Northwestern moving up. And Minnesota is in trouble if Oturu leaves.

All IMO...

Michigan State and Wisconsin should be good again. Illinois and Iowa will be right there if everyone comes back.

Maryland probably drops to the next tier with Rutgers, Ohio State and Purdue. Michigan loses a lot but always has talent as does Indiaba.

Penn State loses a ton and probably drops to the bottom tier. It’s hard to see Nebraska or Northwestern moving up. And Minnesota is in trouble if Oturu leaves.

All IMO...
I wouldn’t be shocked to see Xavier Tillman pursue a pro career if he has a degree. I could be wrong but I think he’s in his fourth year on campus. I believe he just had his second kid and is very close friends with Cassius Winston. If he has his degree maybe he just says let’s go try and make some money to support my family.

Latest posts