What does each Big 10 team lose next year

I can't see a reason for Garza to stay. I am sure Garza could improve on a few things but man he go to the hoop from around the basket with both hands and he has a really good touch, soft shots within 5 feet, hooks, little scoops, etc, he has a very good mid-range shot which is a lost art for many players even in the NBA, and he has a great long distance shot.

He handles the ball well and has a good first move both facing and back to the basket. He makes pretty good above avg inside to outside passes to set up 3's.

He could work on his defense but in the NBA he will not find himself being double and triple teamed with a lot more room to work.

JW is a different story as he has all the tools but a really good NBA-potential player shouldnt get shut down like he did at Minny the other day and at IU in the first 30 minutes. Maybe his legs are tired with the short bench. It just seems he could improve his potential draft stock coming back next year with 10-15 more pounds on his shoulders and chest and show improvement towards 20 pts per game without the low output games.

I can't see a reason for Garza to stay. I am sure Garza could improve on a few things but man he go to the hoop from around the basket with both hands and he has a really good touch, soft shots within 5 feet, hooks, little scoops, etc, he has a very good mid-range shot which is a lost art for many players even in the NBA, and he has a great long distance shot.

He handles the ball well and has a good first move both facing and back to the basket. He makes pretty good above avg inside to outside passes to set up 3's.

He could work on his defense but in the NBA he will not find himself being double and triple teamed with a lot more room to work.

JW is a different story as he has all the tools but a really good NBA-potential player shouldnt get shut down like he did at Minny the other day and at IU in the first 30 minutes. Maybe his legs are tired with the short bench. It just seems he could improve his potential draft stock coming back next year with 10-15 more pounds on his shoulders and chest and show improvement towards 20 pts per game without the low output games.
For Garza it’s all about defense defense defense, and in particular pick and roll defense. Any opposing NBA coach worth a snuf would literally put Garza in a pick and roll situation on every possession. He really can’t defend it right now at the college level which is a big reason why Iowa plays so much zone.

The million dollar question for Garza is what can he do to fix that? I assume he works on his quickness as much as possible but at some point it is what it is. He’s got the offensive game for the NBA I believe.

Two other factors working against him a bit though on offense are one that there really isn’t much low post play these days. They let guys basically two hand shove and arm bar in the post and it’s all but eliminated the low post game in the NBA, which is Garza’s bread and butter. Secondly again his athleticism would be considered subpar for an offensive center.

I think Garza improved his athleticism quite a bit from last year to this. If he can improve that much again for next year, it would probably add millions to his draft position. People leaving when they might not even get drafted happen a lot more often these days, but Garza doesn't seem like that kind of guy.

We all knew Cook wasn't ready for the NBA, but it was pretty likely he would leave regardless because he wanted pro ball more than he wanted college ball. I think it's very possible Garza skyrockets up mock draft boards over the next month and ends up leaving. I just don't see him leaving just to leave like Cook did.

All the tools??? Are you serious? I'm not even sure what tools he does have. The NBA requires consistency - he has none, as the last three games have shown. The NBA requires defense - it didn't take draft stock experts to tell him that his defense did (and still does) need a ton of work. Passing?? Poor. Ball-handling?? Poor. Top-flight conditioning?? Considering how much more of a pounding Garza has taken night in and night out, he still looks 80 times fresher than JW. And even with something basic like a free throw, he is NOT the guy I want on the 15-foot line with the game on the line.

Call me old-school or something, but I don't think the letters 'N' & 'B' & 'A' should be combined in his brain in any combination for at least another year - and only then if he works as hard in the off-season as Garza did last year. Right now he is not even All-Conference material let alone NBA.

All the tools??? Are you serious? I'm not even sure what tools he does have. The NBA requires consistency - he has none, as the last three games have shown. The NBA requires defense - it didn't take draft stock experts to tell him that his defense did (and still does) need a ton of work. Passing?? Poor. Ball-handling?? Poor. Top-flight conditioning?? Considering how much more of a pounding Garza has taken night in and night out, he still looks 80 times fresher than JW. And even with something basic like a free throw, he is NOT the guy I want on the 15-foot line with the game on the line.

Call me old-school or something, but I don't think the letters 'N' & 'B' & 'A' should be combined in his brain in any combination for at least another year - and only then if he works as hard in the off-season as Garza did last year. Right now he is not even All-Conference material let alone NBA.
Wieskamp is probably going to land on the all conference 2nd team. He needs to work on his ball handling a ton. That's his big time weak spot. It was that way in high school too.

Wieskamp is probably going to land on the all conference 2nd team. He needs to work on his ball handling a ton. That's his big time weak spot. It was that way in high school too.
The NBA also told him to come up with a quicker release .

I should have put it that he has the tools for the college game. I thought when I said he doesnt look ready that it meant he isnt ready

Let’s go the other way and assume worst case (both Garza & Wieskamp go). Just for fun, well it’s not really fun but just for discussion.

Could this team at least make the tournament?

Toussaint
Bohannon
Fredrick
McCaffery
Nunge
McCaffery
Ogundele
Ulis
Perkins
Murray
Murray

I wouldn’t say it would be impossible. Would come down to P McCaffery, is he as good as his ranking? A healthy Nunge and how good is he? How much can Toussaint improve? None of those things are that crazy to see happening. Let’s just hope both guys return and we are talking about how high we can finish in the conference instead.
I don't see it happening. Like you mention, it comes down to whether Patrick is the real deal or not. Tyler Cook was a four star. Can Patrick give us TC level contributions? I'd be shocked if so.
JT, CJF, CMac will all be better for another year. But that team would be short both offensively (esp in the post, where there's nothing left) and defensively (ditto).
Hopefully this scenario does not come to pass.

We have had two 4 year starting centers already under Fran. Not saying JO will start, but he can hopefully give productive minutes as a freshman like Woody and Garza did. We would probably need Keegan or Patrick to be starter material. That would help.

I don't see it happening. Like you mention, it comes down to whether Patrick is the real deal or not. Tyler Cook was a four star. Can Patrick give us TC level contributions? I'd be shocked if so.
JT, CJF, CMac will all be better for another year. But that team would be short both offensively (esp in the post, where there's nothing left) and defensively (ditto).
Hopefully this scenario does not come to pass.
Patrick won’t be physical inside. But I predict he shoots better from 3. I predict he shoots better from the line. I predict he plays better D. I predict he has a higher basketball IQ. I’m not knocking Tyler. But this is apples to oranges IMO.

We have had two 4 year starting centers already under Fran. Not saying JO will start, but he can hopefully give productive minutes as a freshman like Woody and Garza did. We would probably need Keegan or Patrick to be starter material. That would help.
Let’s not forget the 6’9” twins that I hope to see flying around on defense and getting in passing lanes.

I don't think I've ever rooted so hard for a player to not leave early as I'm rooting for these two. Garza will easily be the best player in the conference next year and Joe could maybe be top 5. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that we will be the best team in the conference by a pretty wide margin. A serious top 5 team nationally. Garza won't let this team rest on their lorals either. If he comes back, he will demand a conference championship from his teammates. And they will try their asses off to give it to him.

I
Patrick won’t be physical inside. But I predict he shoots better from 3. I predict he shoots better from the line. I predict he plays better D. I predict he has a higher basketball IQ. I’m not knocking Tyler. But this is apples to oranges IMO.
Right, I get that. I was trying to make reference to our last four star and overall impact/productivity. TC produced like a four star and helped us win many games.

I don't think I've ever rooted so hard for a player to not leave early as I'm rooting for these two. Garza will easily be the best player in the conference next year and Joe could maybe be top 5. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that we will be the best team in the conference by a pretty wide margin. A serious top 5 team nationally. Garza won't let this team rest on their lorals either. If he comes back, he will demand a conference championship from his teammates. And they will try their asses off to give it to him.
You’d in theory have players of this caliber assuming they improve in the offseason.

Garza - 1st Team All American (potentially best player in the country)
Wieskamp - 1st Team All B1G
Fredrick - Honorable mention All B1G at least
Bohannon - Honorable mention All B1G at least
C McCaffery - Leading the nation in Ast/Turnover this year
P McCaffery - Former top 100 recruit with a redshirt season under belt
Toussaint - Arguably fastest PG in B1G with Cowan gone

That’s a pretty good top 6.

You’d in theory have players of this caliber assuming they improve in the offseason.

Garza - 1st Team All American (potentially best player in the country)
Wieskamp - 1st Team All B1G
Fredrick - Honorable mention All B1G at least
Bohannon - Honorable mention All B1G at least
C McCaffery - Leading the nation in Ast/Turnover this year
P McCaffery - Former top 100 recruit with a redshirt season under belt
Toussaint - Arguably fastest PG in B1G with Cowan gone

That’s a pretty good top 6.
That's a "best team in the country" type of lineup. Add a backup center in his 4th year and a incoming class of 5 and you've gotta have at least competent depth.

That's a "best team in the country" type of lineup. Add a backup center in his 4th year and a incoming class of 5 and you've gotta have at least competent depth.
I’m just trying to not get my hopes up too much, just becuase I assume we will be let down. Think about what we could have had this year.

Garza - All American
Cook - 1st Team All B1G
Wieskamp - 2nd Team All B1G
Bohannon - Honorable mention All B1G
Fredrick - All Freshman / HM All B1G
Moss - Honorable mention All B1G? Or close
Connor - Leading country in Ast/TO ratio

That’s easily a top 10 team in my estimation and potential B1G champ. I know I know it might not all have gelled and Cook takes up some of Garza’s space etc. but nonetheless that’s loads of talent. Four outside snipers, two studs down low, and a great post feeder.

I’m just trying to not get my hopes up too much, just becuase I assume we will be let down. Think about what we could have had this year.

Garza - All American
Cook - 1st Team All B1G

That’s easily a top 10 team in my estimation and potential B1G champ. I know I know it might not all have gelled and Cook takes up some of Garza’s space etc. but nonetheless that’s loads of talent. Four outside snipers, two studs down low, and a great post feeder.

It would make sense since we were boarderline top 25 last year and with Garza's improvement and the upgrade with CJ, this would be quite a bit better than boarderline top 25. Probably close to top 10 like you said. With all the attention Garza demands, Cook could probably average 5 weak side putback dunks per game. With the way Fran coaches offense, I think he could make Cook and Garza work together fine. It's crazy how close Fran was to having 2 really good teams in a row coming off an overtime round of 32 loss.

Garza - All American
Cook - 1st Team All B1G

Sometimes less is more. And that was certainly the case with Cook/Garza. It's no secret that the reason Luka has flourished as much as he has this year is the fact that we're basically running a 4 out-1 in offense that allows him full use of the lane because Cook sure as heck wasn't going to step out anywhere outside of 10 feet.

Latest posts