What do you like about Iowa basketball right now

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I figure amidst all of the other posts, there are things worth talking about on this front

I love Eric May...he is old school to me, and also a nice blend of a very good athlete...this kid is a lot of fun to watch and I can't wait for him to refine his shot, too.

Matt Gatens is a tough cat, and I feel for him out there. He is everything I grew up watching and liking about Iowa basketball.

Jarryd Cole needs more consistency, but you cannot fault his effort and another offseason could be the thing that helps him refine his game.

Aaron Fuller is an emerging go to player on the offensive end..I really like where he is taking his game.

Cully Payne is a freshman point guard...Al McGuire said the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores...Payne is paying his dues on the job, taking lumps...but he is tough and I think there is a good foundation there for the future.

Brennan Cougill has the makings of a good offensive game...getting into Big Ten shape will be a big priority this offseason.

This team needs more shooters, and I think that is on the way. This team needs more people that can beat you off the dribble, and I am not certain that is on the way, and I would lean towards it not being on the way. Will be interested to see what Devon Archie can do with an offseason/redshirt year watching and learning.

I don't have any expectations for Anthony Tucker. I think Brommer has some ability but its tough for him to find a groove with how he is being used...and perhaps he is just not consistent enough in practice.

I am looking forward to the incoming recruiting class. I also think the experience these kids are getting early is going to pay big dividends down the road.

Jarryd Cole works as hard as anyone Hawkeye I have seen in my lifetime.
Brennan Cougill has a career in lookalike if he wants: as John Daly.
Gatens makes me proud to be a Hawk. He is homegrown, and lives the 'life'.

Outside of that, my optimism is in that we might actually get 10,000 to the arena again before I pass away.

It is nice to anticipate the team getting better with the incoming class- nowhere to go but up.

Gatens could have a fascinating story going through 3 years of complete misery and lead this team to an NCAA tourney appearance his senior year.

Cully is a fighter, I enjoy watching him play. Has a toughness I respect.

May is fun to watch. Nice get for Lickliter. You need kids like this to adventually have a winning team. In-state talent.

1.The new practice facility is number one in my heart. I think it will help with recruiting.

2. Cougs, love his touch and think he is a good passer as well. Hope he developes over the summer. Would like to see him get the ball on the block more.

3. Fuller and May, I think are are 2 best athletes.

4. Matt Gatens kid is tough as nails.

5. The season is almost over.

Those of u calling for coach licks job r gonna regret it next year. Would be a huge mistake to fire lick this year!

1. Fuller is a scrapper and hustler. Biggest improvement this season. If he can learn to take off the dribble he would be dangerous.

2. Eric May. Same as above...

3. $1 hot dogs

4. Season is nearing an end

You can't help but root for these guys given they work so hard and they are a bunch of likeable players.

I know it's coaches being coaches, but after almost every game the opposing coach credits Iowa for giving maximum effort the entire game. I think that is true in almost all games this year (Not Michigan and not Minnesota).

May could go down as one of my all-time favorite Hawks. He has no quit in him.

Coach Lickliter being the coach
The fact that all of these guys want to be hawkeyes. They signed up to be hawks when the records weren't good, the attendance sucks, the attitudes of the fan base stinks and is insultive, their coach is broiled in bashing on a daily basis, and they keep getting dogged for not being d1 talent. I like everything about this team except their record. The kids grit, patience, and belief is awesome and a testament to how student athletes should be.

Cully Payne has been the best thing for me Jon is right he is paying his dues and will be all the better for it...just needs to stop jump passes and concentrate on his jump shot...

I like the fact that 9 out of 11 of thier fans can read, comprehend, and form appropriate responses to questions about the team.

I really like the "core" of the team:

May
Gatens
Payne
Fuller
Tucker
Cole
Cougill

I think the biggest issue if finding a legit Big 10 playmaker. I don't know if I really like the roles the core is being asked to play, but I do really like the core. I would love to add a skilled down low post presence and a legit playmaker. I only think Iowa is 2 players away from really turning things around.

And I honestly dont' think next years class has either player Iowa needs. I hope to be wrong but I don't see a "difference" maker coming in.

Iowa is not far off. I know it feels as if they are but they have the pieces but don't have the STUD's to put it over the top. I honestly believe they need two stud players.

i love the core group of players we have because u see how good these guys can be.

1) if i recall correctly, last season when Fuller was a frosh, before the season started, they felt fuller was gonna be special, and i think he is on his way to that
2) good core of frosh right now, hard not to like what they bring to the floor right now, especially may
3) because we are asking guys to step up and be the guy earlier then they should be, its gonna benefit us sooner than later
4) listening to these guys and the frosh coming in, they want to be here and right the ship.
5) everyone faults lick for the transfers,, but i don't view it as him running people out of town, freeman wanted to be captain and the star of the team, each guy has their own story and davis is the only lick recruit to actually take off
6) this team is getting better everyday, people are tired of losing and so am i, but things are getting better, the foundation is set, time to start building to the next level

That isn't our "core". It's our whole team.

John Lickliter, Nick Neri, Andrew Brommer are left out............

Hell I may even like Brommer in certain roles, but his playing time has been hard to understand. I can't tell what the heck Iowa wants to do with him.

And yes I do really like the core. The issue is there is no star in the core group, which makes it hard to compete in the big 10. Heck Iowa has some really nice pieces so they just need to add two legit difference making studs.

I don't think depth is as much of the issue with Iowa. The problem is finding players with the skills to consistently make plays. I don't believe play making or lack there of is a youth issue either. You can tell guys who have skills to be open court play makers and Iowa does not really have that player.

I really like the lack of a line for ice cream cones at the game. Those things are delightful

I also like Eric May and i like hoping that the recruiting class next year can come in and make a difference right away

I kind of look at this team like the 2000 Hawkeyes football team, overmatched but some definite bright spots, seems like most games they play tough for 35 minutes and just fade due to being tired. A couple of individual guys like Gatens, May but not enough to be a complete team.