What do you like about Iowa basketball right now

The only positve is the road unis- they are great. otherwise being a 3 year bottom feeder really sucks.

- I like the core players on this team and the optimism of what they could achieve with the proper pieces in place.

- I can now get exceptional parking spaces for games, even the handicap spots are available.*

- I get a front row seat every game even with my $25 bargain ticket price.*

- I no longer have to "hold it in" while waiting for long que lines to the restroom or concessions.*

- I have much more leg room and no longer have to be rude and obstruct other fans' views of the game while getting to my seat.*

- I can just whisper across Carver to get the attention of a friend so that I no longer disturb those sleeping next to me.*

*These statements are called sarcastic humor and it has become clear recently some don't view these types of statements as humor. I just wanted to make this a disclaimer to avoid offending anyone. Thank you.
Your sense of humor sucks, your not a comedian, your a darn fool.

I like to watch Gatens because he reminds me of Settles. Cole is fun to watch too. He is so undersized in the post but he gets in there and bangs.

I like the players. I always like the players. They're Hawkeyes. They're not very good as a group, but part of that is being poorly coached. I would bet the 401K that if you gave the same group to Tom Davis they'd be in some kind of postseason play. I like some players more than others (May is a warrior and easily my favorite on the current squad), and we need more and better of them. But I feel for them having to waste all or part of their college careers in this mess.

At least they're getting a free education. I hope they take advantage of it.

I like a lot of pieces on the team they just need years under their belts!

I will tell you one thing, as a diehard Bulls fan, after the struggles the teams had after Jordan left the year the Bulls returned to the playoffs was one of my favorite seasons ever.

I feel the year we get back to the Big Dance we'll all remember and love that team forever, especially if we can win a few games in it!

Last edited:
First of all, I like to know that there actually are more supporters of Lick and this team than just me and my dad. I know that group is in the minority, but it's good to know there are other people who feel there are a lot of positives to take from this year.

I love the freshman class we have this year. Payne is already one of the better pure point guards in the Big Ten, and with this year's experience his decision making will only improve, and with hard working his scoring can greatly improve. May is probably my favorite player. Pretty good stroke from the outside, can get to the rack, plays terrific defense. Cougill has a lot of potential as well, being a big man who can shoot. We haven't had that since Brunner graduated. And I know he's taken a lot of heat this year, but even little Lickliter hasn't been all bad. He takes flak for a lot of things that aren't his fault. The kid has turned it over like 7 times all year, has a 3 to 1 assist/turnover ratio. He shoots a little too much, but like I said, he's not been nearly as bad as everyone likes to think.

Gatens, Fuller, and Cole provide quite a bit of leadership, and have talent to boot. All three of them are going to be huge for us next year. Tucker.....Tucker. If the kid can just stay on the floor (In Carver, not the Fieldhouse downtown), then he can be an enormous asset for us. He'd give us that extra shooter so that teams can't shut down our 3-point game late like they do now by sticking to Gatens and May like glue. But, that's about the biggest IF since Hitler basically saying "IF this attack at Normandy isn't the true invasion, then we'll be just fine".

I'm very excited for next year. I really think we could push the 20-win mark, and make the NIT. In two years, I think we're Dancin'. This is a very promising group here, and I really hope that the school gives Lick 2 more years at least, because I really like where we're headed right now.

And for anyone who wants to fire him, or is counting the days until his contract is up: Just remember, that I recall people wanting Ferentz canned as recently as November 7, 2008. Anybody remember what happened the next night? This team is just waiting to get over the hump. Once they do, I think they'll really take off. And I'm going to be there for the ride.

I'm very excited for next year. I really think we could push the 20-win mark, and make the NIT. In two years, I think we're Dancin'. This is a very promising group here, and I really hope that the school gives Lick 2 more years at least, because I really like where we're headed right now.

And for anyone who wants to fire him, or is counting the days until his contract is up: Just remember, that I recall people wanting Ferentz canned as recently as November 7, 2008. Anybody remember what happened the next night? This team is just waiting to get over the hump. Once they do, I think they'll really take off. And I'm going to be there for the ride.

a) First of all, comparing Ferentz to Lickliter is absolutely ridiculous. The sports are VERY different. In football, you can have 80 on scholarship - while basketball allows 13.

b) If you want to make a bet, of any size, that Iowa will 'push' 20 wins - I am willing to take it. Really, I want us to do it. But, there is no indication that we will even get to 15. Let alone 20.

c) [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY8uzqNi4sA"]YouTube- General Larry Platt - Pants On The Ground! Full HD![/ame]

I like this team a lot. I think its a solid group and more than just the core of a winning team. I with a little more help in some key areas, depth and experience, I think this is a winning team. We just have to see if the help coming in next year is good enough to do the trick.

a)
b) If you want to make a bet, of any size, that Iowa will 'push' 20 wins - I am willing to take it. Really, I want us to do it. But, there is no indication that we will even get to 15. Let alone 20.

I'll bet you 6 months of a sig line that says "I own IATrainMaster101/ jparmley" or something along those lines. I can't go 20 wins but will go 17 if you want to take that. My only condition is no transfers from Gatens, Cougill, May, Fuller, Cole, Payne, Archie and no defections from incoming class. I'm not sure they can hit that goal next year but am willing to pony up some possible humiliation for the cause.

I figure amidst all of the other posts, there are things worth talking about on this front

I love Eric May...he is old school to me, and also a nice blend of a very good athlete...this kid is a lot of fun to watch and I can't wait for him to refine his shot, too.

Matt Gatens is a tough cat, and I feel for him out there. He is everything I grew up watching and liking about Iowa basketball.

Jarryd Cole needs more consistency, but you cannot fault his effort and another offseason could be the thing that helps him refine his game.

Aaron Fuller is an emerging go to player on the offensive end..I really like where he is taking his game.

Cully Payne is a freshman point guard...Al McGuire said the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores...Payne is paying his dues on the job, taking lumps...but he is tough and I think there is a good foundation there for the future.

Brennan Cougill has the makings of a good offensive game...getting into Big Ten shape will be a big priority this offseason.

This team needs more shooters, and I think that is on the way. This team needs more people that can beat you off the dribble, and I am not certain that is on the way, and I would lean towards it not being on the way. Will be interested to see what Devon Archie can do with an offseason/redshirt year watching and learning.

I don't have any expectations for Anthony Tucker. I think Brommer has some ability but its tough for him to find a groove with how he is being used...and perhaps he is just not consistent enough in practice.

I like the the way these guys work hard and never say die. even in games where it got away from them early, they did not quit.

I love the way fuller is developing. He is finally helping us become a better rebounding team. He can take it to the hoop, one on one, something the others guys really can't do.

as far as gatens goes, he is the team leader. we need for hin to be more of an acurate 3 point shooter. But he needs to work on taking his game off the dribble to the hoop, like adam haluska did his last season. he showed he had more than 3 pointers in his arsenol. Gatens reminds me a lot of haluska.

Payne will actually one day be a better point guard then horner was. Horner could not create his own shot, when needed. Payne shows, that despite the fact he has a high turnover rate, that he can create a shot. and surprises me the way he can go thru all those big boys and put the ball on the rim. The problem, is now he has to score it in the hoop.

Cole also has to show he is a force out there. there are times, he is a beast, other times you forget he is on the floor. this guys should be a double, double man each game. Maybe by next year...he has the potental.

coughill, is a nice player, but would like to see him be more of a force in the paint. pull down rebounds, and take the ball to the hoop. he must be the only center ever to play on the outside and take outside shots. I feel when he comes in to spell cole that we lose something inside. It is nice to have a big guy hit the 3, but really this shouldn't be his main game, as it is now.

eric may, reminds me of kevin boyle. hopefully in the next season or two, he will play like him.

This teams needs Tucker, and lets hope that they can come depend on him for full seasons the next two years. Has this guy ever played in a big ten game yet? I hope he recommits himself, and realizes that he is still young and has plenty of time to party after college, if that his what he wants.

oh, about lil lick. I don't have a big problem with him playing. you can tell when he is out there that he probably understands the system better then anyone on the team. he tends to find the right guy on his passes. Do i think he is a full time player? No. But spot duty/role player, Yes!

You asked, i delivered my thoughts.

Last edited:
I'll bet you 6 months of a sig line that says "I own IATrainMaster101/ jparmley" or something along those lines. I can't go 20 wins but will go 17 if you want to take that. My only condition is no transfers from Gatens, Cougill, May, Fuller, Cole, Payne, Archie and no defections from incoming class. I'm not sure they can hit that goal next year but am willing to pony up some possible humiliation for the cause.

Wow, you drive a pretty hard bargain.

But, I accept!!

(for the record: I hope I lose because it means we are winning!)

18 and above, you win. And I will gladly accept the crow/shame
17 and below, I win... but I will refrain from adding the sig, because it will mean we are exactly where we have been the previous (3) seasons.

Last edited:
Jarryd Cole works as hard as anyone Hawkeye I have seen in my lifetime.
Brennan Cougill has a career in lookalike if he wants: as John Daly.
Gatens makes me proud to be a Hawk. He is homegrown, and lives the 'life'.

Outside of that, my optimism is in that we might actually get 10,000 to the arena again before I pass away.

They did against OSU.

BP says Hi.
________
ECIGARETTES

Last edited:
Things I like about Iowa basketball?

1) Eric May..........I strongly suggested on the old HN board that Iowa needs to get a fair number of Iowa players to rebuild this thing. Eric May has proven to be a great start

2) Matt Gatens.............Matt still is improving. He must commit to being an ALL OUT hustler, like Ryan Bowen, or Haluska to maximize his game.

3) Aaron Fuller.............must get this guy to bring his A game every. Because his A game is pretty darned good.

4) Jarryd Cole...........great example for any and all players.

5) I like John Lickliter in short spurts. He has helped the team much, much more than he has hurt it.

I like the fact I have more time to spend with my family. I am not DVR'ing and planning my time off around watching Iowa Basketball.

I like our players as student-athletes,cept for Tucker, they seem like very nice young men.
I like Fullers knack for offensive rebounding.
I like Mays defense and shot-blocking ability and his rebounding.
I like Gatens moxie on the floor,and shooting touch.
I like Coles hustle.
I like Cully's strength for a frosh pg.
I like Brennan's outside shooting touch.

I do like our road unis.
That's it folks.

a) First of all, comparing Ferentz to Lickliter is absolutely ridiculous. The sports are VERY different. In football, you can have 80 on scholarship - while basketball allows 13.

Well if Ferentz got heat because he has 80 scholarships to work with, then why is Lickliter getting even less of a grace period when he has only 13? My point wasn't that football and basketball are so similar. My point was that we are pretty quick to want to bring the axe on our coaches. Had we axed Ferentz when everybody wanted to, our football team wouldn't be where it is now. How hard of a concept is that for people to grasp? Or do people just have a better time bitc*ing and moaning than actually trying to show some support?

That's the other thing about our crowds: the whole point of "homecourt advantage" is that the crowd can pick up the team when the team can't pick up themselves. We don't do that, even at the OSU game when there were over 10,000 in attendance, and we were in a tight game with a top 20 team. We're a very reactive crowd. Sure we get loud when the boys do something good. But we don't do s*it to pick them up when they're in a dry spell. We just sit back and say "give us something to cheer about".

And I didn't say we would actually get to 20 wins, I just thought we could make a serious push for it next year. I think 17 or 18 would qualify as "pushing it", especially since I'm sure there will be a few close losses that could have gone our way. If you don't have hope, then what do you have? I'm a Cubs fan, so I know all about having hope and not being rewarded at the end of the season. But I still keep hoping, and that's what I'm going to do with this team. Those kids should have earned everyone's respect, and if nothing else, fill the arena up to support the guys that you should have respect for. Because those guys play their hearts out every night. Stop being selfish and being concerned with what gratification you get for going to the games. Start rewarding the players. They lay it all out there trying to win, and all we do is spit on them.

Wow, you drive a pretty hard bargain.

But, I accept!!

(for the record: I hope I lose because it means we are winning!)

18 and above, you win. And I will gladly accept the crow/shame
17 and below, I win... but I will refrain from adding the sig, because it will mean we are exactly where we have been the previous (3) seasons.

Deal...