Western Mich game thread

Kris the Twin getting into the groove

Twins having a hell of a good time on the court

And my man, Perkins nails a three

Sandfort is the Damn Goods

This is going to be Keegan’s last year in Iowa City. He might actually break Garza’s single season scoring record.

The defense has been great to see. Toussaint and Perkins make it difficult on opposing point guards, and the press with Keegan up top makes teams throw terrible passes. We are scoring the most points per game, and have the most bench minutes in the nation. Might help us have more depth throughout the season since we will deal with injuries at some point. The Big Ten might be more open than what it looked like before the season. Might be 7 teams playing for second place behind Purdue.

I’m ready for better competition. Not having Patrick is concerning. I feel like he’s a huge piece to this team. I’m hoping they are just holding him out just to be cautious and to save him for bigger games, but he needs the reps too. I’m hoping Kris or Perkins can step in and these early games against no one have given them a chance to gain confidence. Joe T has been underwhelming but like PC said, some good D. Too early on him. Sandfort looks great and Ullis has had moments. Now can they do it consistently? Can Keagen continue to score like this against better competition? Connor and Jordan are not the answer, you can clearly see that Fran knows that. He just needs to see more consistent play out of some of these younger guys. My early money is on Perkins.

I’m ready for better competition. Not having Patrick is concerning. I feel like he’s a huge piece to this team. I’m hoping they are just holding him out just to be cautious and to save him for bigger games, but he needs the reps too. I’m hoping Kris or Perkins can step in and these early games against no one have given them a chance to gain confidence. Joe T has been underwhelming but like PC said, some good D. Too early on him. Sandfort looks great and Ullis has had moments. Now can they do it consistently? Can Keagen continue to score like this against better competition? Connor and Jordan are not the answer, you can clearly see that Fran knows that. He just needs to see more consistent play out of some of these younger guys. My early money is on Perkins.
I heartily second your first line - I'm ready to play someone with better players.

Give credit to these mid majors to coming to IC and giving it a go. Likewise, give credit to the Hawks for coming out focused and taking care of business. But, yeah, I'm ready for some more intense competition.

I wonder if Fran would have asked Bohannon to come back if he knew that Perkins and Sandford would be playing this good.

No

Maybe I'm wrong but I see Patrick and Kris fighting for the same minutes most of the time.
I agree, the upside to Patrick being out is Kris is likely going to get more looks, but I think Pat is currently the better option. If he's not in the mix, I feel like my thoughts on the season change drastically.

I wonder if Fran would have asked Bohannon to come back if he knew that Perkins and Sandford would be playing this good.
I want to see them play this well against better teams, I think this schedule was all part of Fran's plan, so he could get some big minutes for his bench to see who could play without fear of losing. I think Fran recognizes Jordan's limitations. I still think he's going to hit some big shots for Iowa this season, but IMO, I can tell that Fran is already thinking about him playing less.

I think so, just as long as having JBo around doesn't stop Fran from using Perkins and Sandford when JBo isn't scoring. So far I've like how Fran has used JBo, if he's scoring he's on the court when he's not he's on the bench. Having a veteran player around shouldn't be a bad thing as long as he excepts his role.

I am OK with playing pansies

✨La divination✨ | Harry Potter Fr Amino

We lost 3 starters and need to establish a team identity

One can see the development and improvement as the powderpuff
games continue

The real schedule starts @ Virginia, @ Purdue, Illinois at Carver, and @ Iowa State

That is a murderous schedule

Clones should be a win but not guaranteed

It's All Good

I am going out on a limb here and saying that VA and Illinois look vulnerable. I would split those two, taking the home team. Purdue, not vulnerable...........that game will be a good teaching moment for Fran I think.

IA State? I wouldnt admit they were good even if they were.......and they aren't.

Had to work last night, just watched second half. Am I high or could our second out unit beat the starters 2 out 3 most nights. Take Keegan out and it would be 3 out of 3. Sandfort needs to start. Kris needs to be first or second off the bench. Perkins or Ulis should start. The end.

Had to work last night, just watched second half. Am I high or could our second out unit beat the starters 2 out 3 most nights. Take Keegan out and it would be 3 out of 3. Sandfort needs to start. Kris needs to be first or second off the bench. Perkins or Ulis should start. The end.
Well let's leave Keegan with the 4 starters from last night, then put him with the next 4 and decide who's better.

Keegan vs Keegan is obviously a wash.

Joe T vs Ulis - I'd say that's pretty much a wash with possibly a slight edge to Joe T.

Bohannon vs Perkins- I think that even of Bohannon is a better offensive player (tough to know for sure at this point because Perkins is doing it against bad teams) Perkins is a considerably better defensive player. Advantage Perkins.

Connor vs Sandford - pretty sure Sandford is a better all around player and it's probably not even close. It's probably a bit closer than it looks due to Connor's intangibles that are hard to measure. But even with those, its probably not close.

Flip vs Kris - Flip might be a bit better at defending the 5, but other than that, Kris probably has him on every other aspect of the game. I give the advantage to Kris here.

Seems to me the 4 backups are an upgrade over the 4 starters. Again, it's bad competition, but the starters are playing the same bad teams as the backups are. The easiest way to put it is the backups sure do seem like they are better scorers than the starters, and when you look at defense and see that 2 of the starters are Bohannon and Connor, it's tough to make the argument that the starters are better at that end of the court.

Sandfort is a very nice surprise. Did not expect this out of him out the gate. He has an extremely quick release and no lack of confidence. If he can get a 6th year the Hawks might occupy the top 2 three point spots.

After a lackluster first game or two, my man Perkins is starting to turn it on. Gonna be hard to keep off the court.

I want more of Murray 2

If all fairness to JBO he never gets it going much in the cupcake games and other than jacking up too many 3s chasing the record, he realizes the importance of getting experience for the younger guys. When the lights come on we are going to be happy he is available to hit the clutch shots. I can't think of who has hit more in their career.

Sandfort is a very nice surprise. Did not expect this out of him out the gate. He has an extremely quick release and no lack of confidence. If he can get a 6th year the Hawks might occupy the top 2 three point spots.

After a lackluster first game or two, my man Perkins is starting to turn it on. Gonna be hard to keep off the court.

I want more of Murray 2

If all fairness to JBO he never gets it going much in the cupcake games and other than jacking up too many 3s chasing the record, he realizes the importance of getting experience for the younger guys. When the lights come on we are going to be happy he is available to hit the clutch shots. I can't think of who has hit more in their career.

Jordan might have a role as a decoy

Drawing a ton of attention, while leaving others open

Perkins and Sandfort are the Goods for certain

I want more of Murray 2

Sandfort has remade his body. His high school highlights showed a slender slasher. He bulked up, then I see JBo on the bench and he looks like a high schooler. No muscle tone but he still has great hair.