We’re going to be everyone’s upset pick

Providence did beat

Wisconsin early in the season
Texas Tech early in the season
And UConn

Had two close games against Villanova

Lost by 5 at Providence
Lost by 2 at Villanova

Maybe they have 4 seniors but we have a guy who's been a senior 4 times.
thats_gold_jerry_gif_4.gif

Richmond finished 6th in the Atlantic 10. They were:
0-2 against quad 1 teams
6-9 against quad 2 teams
10-0 against quad 3 teams
6-1 against quad 4 teams (lost by 27)

Lost to Drake and beat UNI

Last edited:
They're not playing the games. Or coaching them. Fran has turned in easily his best coaching job at Iowa. By a country mile.

I posted in January that this is the most tournament ready team Iowa has had in the Fran era. That I would stake my reputation on it. @Fryowa can dig the post out.
Frankly the first time I've ever really thought he did a very good job at all, which is saying something for the length of his tenure here.

At least we will not have to play these teams to get to the Final Four

Villanova
Duke
Kentucky
Gonzaga

Duke, Kentucky and Villanova

Have beaten the Hawks in the Second Round on the way to a National Championship

Frankly the first time I've ever really thought he did a very good job at all, which is saying something for the length of his tenure here.
His coaching definitely hurt us in other years, from the inability to execute in close games to the way his teams faded late in the season. When he matched up with the the Izzo's and Bo Ryan's and Thad Matta's of the world the difference was obvious.

I think first and foremost he has learned to pace his team through a season and make sure they weren't worn out by the end. He has also toned down the bench antics a bit. It's All helped.

I think Iowa’s late season rise, followed by the conference championship, was considered, but under rated. At least a 4 seed was deserved. In the end, I am fine with the path we see for the Hawks.

I firmly believe that this team is more “pure Fran” than any he has had at Iowa. The length, the athleticism, the pure speed, the green light for shooters, the depth, and the construction of a defense that successfully confuses opponents has fallen into place. I loved last years team. Were they pure Fran? Maybe not.

I would absolutely agree that this is by far the best coaching job Fran has ever done at Iowa. I have always thought that he’s a good recruiter but a lousy in game coach but the last month and especially in the BIG tournament he’s done very well. Just look at what he did today. Ogundele? Mulvey? Nice job coach. I wonder if he’s taking more advice from assistant coaches.

I firmly believe that this team is more “pure Fran” than any he has had at Iowa. The length, the athleticism, the pure speed, the green light for shooters, the depth, and the construction of a defense that successfully confuses opponents has fallen into place. I loved last years team. Were they pure Fran? Maybe not.
Teams that made runs last year, Arkansas, Alabama, Houston, Baylor, the Pac12 teams, were loaded with athletic 6'7, 6'8 guys inside and pit bull guards.

As good as Garza was he cut into our team speed a bit, and it was noticeable against Oregon, CJ and Wiesy could be exploited defensively as well.

Our team this year resembles the teams I mentioned above who made runs last year. That's why I remain confident that we are better set up for a run than we have at any time in the Fran era.