We’re going to be everyone’s upset pick

Everyone has settled into their roles. Perkins as a slasher. Joe T as a Tasmanian devil off the bench. Kris as a second unit scorer. PMac as an unorthodox matchup nightmare. Sandfort as a sniper who is gradually showing off other aspects of his game.

It was beautiful to watch this weekend and I hope to see at least two more weekends of it.
I love the Tasmanian devil reference. I pictured the old cartoon character. Looked like JT.

His coaching definitely hurt us in other years, from the inability to execute in close games to the way his teams faded late in the season. When he matched up with the the Izzo's and Bo Ryan's and Thad Matta's of the world the difference was obvious.

I think first and foremost he has learned to pace his team through a season and make sure they weren't worn out by the end. He has also toned down the bench antics a bit. It's All helped.
Even thru much of the first half of this year, they were the same old Iowa though, bad defense and horrible rebounding. It all got better after that Minnesota game and they really shored up got giving extra possession to opposing team getting offensive rebounds. Now they are winning those games and the close games.

I nailed Fran and the coaching back then and stated this is the stat that makes or breaks this Iowa team. I said if they figured that out they'd be good because they typically score enough.

So, in my eyes, this season's success is all because of me!! Lol. Fun ride!

I firmly believe that this team is more “pure Fran” than any he has had at Iowa. The length, the athleticism, the pure speed, the green light for shooters, the depth, and the construction of a defense that successfully confuses opponents has fallen into place. I loved last years team. Were they pure Fran? Maybe not.
I kind of agree with this. I think this is what he's always envisioned but along the way had some players leave for various reasons or had a couple anchors on the team that made him have to shift gears. It was just always something, always one wrench thrown in the plans to deal with.

Teams that made runs last year, Arkansas, Alabama, Houston, Baylor, the Pac12 teams, were loaded with athletic 6'7, 6'8 guys inside and pit bull guards.

As good as Garza was he cut into our team speed a bit, and it was noticeable against Oregon, CJ and Wiesy could be exploited defensively as well.

Our team this year resembles the teams I mentioned above who made runs last year. That's why I remain confident that we are better set up for a run than we have at any time in the Fran era.

I wonder if Nunge is 2nd guessing moving on, although he had some legit personal reasons to move close to home.

When the season started, he looked to be a huge get for the Xavier team and it looked like Xavier was headed upward compared to Iowa.

All I'm saying is that when national media starts to really hype up an Iowa FB or BB team, people drink the Kool-Aid like they haven't had a drop of water in years, and then when they flop at some point everyone here starts in with the nuclear meltdown shit.

What's really hilarious is that everyone here says the pundits are full of shit windbags 99.9999% of the time, but Dick Vitale puts the Hawks in the natty game and all of a sudden they're geniuses.

I hope like hell Vitale is right, but let's at least be honest with ourselves. If they lose to Richmond or Providence, @HaydenHawk56 and a bunch of others are going to be right back on the Fran Sucks Train talking about how the Hawks are fake news.

Yea but we as fans or Iowa hasn't had the chance too often over the years to get or be hyped up. I don't think it's fair or fair to not expect fans to ride that train.

Man, don't you have to? Isn't it worse to suppress it? F it!!

I think this is the type of team Fran wanted (Luka was great, but not totally in line with run and gun). But beyond just the type of players, I think the chemistry is what sets this team apart. The team drips with unselfish play and a lack of egos. Even the guys with egos, like Connor and JBO, will do anything to win and would jump in front of a bullet for anyone else on the team. Couple that with having two sets of brothers, and a lot of guys that were overlooked by most big time schools, and you just have a group that wants to play for each other. No one exemplifies that attitude more than JBO and JT. Both made sacrifices in position and starting roles that were to their personal detriment and to the betterment of the team, and both embraced and did what was best for the team.

That is rare these days, and is the reason this team has made such an incredible run.

I wonder if Nunge is 2nd guessing moving on, although he had some legit personal reasons to move close to home.

When the season started, he looked to be a huge get for the Xavier team and it looked like Xavier was headed upward compared to Iowa.
I doubt he regrets his decision, and while it seemed like a loss at the time, it may be that Rebracca fits the style better. Nunge is a poor man's Garza. Big and relatively slow. He is not nearly as proficient in the post and no better from the outside. He is probably better than Garza on D. Here is the thing, my fear is that if Nunge stayed, Fran would have stayed with a similar offense using Nunge instead of Garza. If so, maybe he leaves Connor as a starter as the post feeder. In any event, that is just a worse version of last year's team. By bringing in a smaller and faster post like Flip, and playing more 2 guard, three forward line-ups, this team is much faster and better on D. Things work out......

Oh I'm plenty excited. Seriously.

But I'm also not gonna revert back into "Fran sucks and this program sucks" mode like a whole bunch of people here when we lose.
I think for the most part you are talking about two different groups of people. Most people who think Fran sucks probably aren't getting their hopes up right now.

I think this is the type of team Fran wanted (Luka was great, but not totally in line with run and gun). But beyond just the type of players, I think the chemistry is what sets this team apart. The team drips with unselfish play and a lack of egos. Even the guys with egos, like Connor and JBO, will do anything to win and would jump in front of a bullet for anyone else on the team. Couple that with having two sets of brothers, and a lot of guys that were overlooked by most big time schools, and you just have a group that wants to play for each other. No one exemplifies that attitude more than JBO and JT. Both made sacrifices in position and starting roles that were to their personal detriment and to the betterment of the team, and both embraced and did what was best for the team.

That is rare these days, and is the reason this team has made such an incredible run.

I luv the makeup of this team and personalities. The Murray brothers are total class and absolutely never show-boat or show up opposing players. How can a fan of another team not like or appreciate them? I think if one asked opposing coaches or fans their view about them, they would be positive 90% of the time. Total class. They are quiet and let their play talk, respectfully.
You have Connor who is our enforcer and not afraid to mix it up a bit and takes no shit. He holds his own and can get in the head of opposing players. Jo Bo has and edge and a killer instinct. He luvs playing in nasty atmosphere and long for the huge games. YOu have JT and Perkins who are firecrackers and play with an edge. JT, pound for pound, is a ball of muscle out there, doesn't back away.

Rebraca is Rebraca, a quiet role player that does his job and rebounds the ball.

This team is finesse on offense but brings a toughness to it as well. I think overall it's a great makeup for a team.

Richmond is a good team with 4 seniors.

I think Richmond pulled off one of the big tourney david vs goliath upsets at least once. But I think the hawks are playing really well and will win this game by 10 or so if they play their game. Shoot well, rebound well, limit turnovers, cause turnovers and play really good defense.

The hawks have been doing all those things very well. But you never can tell about your shooting in a new arena so that is always a big concern. But intensity and concentration will take your defense, rebounding and turnover game, for and against, in positive territory.

Yea but we as fans or Iowa hasn't had the chance too often over the years to get or be hyped up. I don't think it's fair or fair to not expect fans to ride that train.

Man, don't you have to? Isn't it worse to suppress it? F it!!
This board is going to get napalmed when Iowa loses. Like it never has before.

"Can't have nice things"
"We always know our place"
"We're supposed to be Iowa nice"
" Fran relied on Connor and JBo too much"
"Our guards can't handle pressure"
"Lights were too bright for them"
"Choke city, again"
"Fran is clueless"
"He played his bench too much"
"He played his starters too much"

Oh, it's a comin'. Sure as the hastas will be coming out of the ground soon.

This board is going to get napalmed when Iowa loses. Like it never has before.

"Can't have nice things"
"We always know our place"
"We're supposed to be Iowa nice"
" Fran relied on Connor and JBo too much"
"Our guards can't handle pressure"
"Lights were too bright for them"
"Choke city, again"
"Fran is clueless"
"He played his bench too much"
"He played his starters too much"

Oh, it's a comin'. Sure as the hastas will be coming out of the ground soon.

No. I have the Enola Gay warming up on the runway. F napalm. This team ain't losing until next Franuary. It can't. We haven't lost in so long I forgot what it feels like.

Even thru much of the first half of this year, they were the same old Iowa though, bad defense and horrible rebounding. It all got better after that Minnesota game and they really shored up got giving extra possession to opposing team getting offensive rebounds. Now they are winning those games and the close games.

I nailed Fran and the coaching back then and stated this is the stat that makes or breaks this Iowa team. I said if they figured that out they'd be good because they typically score enough.

So, in my eyes, this season's success is all because of me!! Lol. Fun ride!
Remember that Minnesota game? Fell behind by 8 or 9 early in the second half? Couldn't stop Luc Loewe?

Could have been the turning point of the season. Let that one slip away and we're 4-7 in the league.

What a turnaround to come all the way back.

You are right to be cautious.

I think we can handle Richmond. I'll be stunned if we don't win that one.

Providence is a very good team. That game is a tossup, in my mind, just like the 3 most recent games in the Big Ten Tournament.

Winning a championship for this team was very special and something to be celebrated. The question now is whether they can turn the page quickly and play with the same energy in the NCAA tournament, starting Thursday. It won't be easy, but I think they can do it.
Excellent point. I think the hangover from sharing the regular season B1G caught up to Illinois last weekend. Indiana didn't give a flying F that Illinois were co Champs, and Indiana drilled them.

Fran was probably easy on the legs today and it was probably film study and scouting reports. But by tomorrow they had better have put the weekend behind them. Richmond isnt going to give a flying F what we did last weekend.

Excellent point. I think the hangover from sharing the regular season B1G caught up to Illinois last weekend. Indiana didn't give a flying F that Illinois were co Champs, and Indiana drilled them.

Fran was probably easy on the legs today and it was probably film study and scouting reports. But by tomorrow they had better have put the weekend behind them. Richmond isnt going to give a flying F what we did last weekend.

Richmond also played 4 games in 4 days, so the Committee may have done us a solid for the first time ever.

Attachments

• OIP.jpg
    OIP.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1
Richmond also played 4 games in 4 days, so the Committee may have done us a solid for the first time ever.
True.

I was posting yesterday that I wouldn't have minded a Friday/Sunday draw, just to have an extra day to recover from four in four.

Now I say bring on Thursday afternoon and see what Richmond has left in
THEIR legs. I think the early start is going to hurt them more than us.

True.

I was posting yesterday that I wouldn't have minded a Friday/Sunday draw, just to have an extra day to recover from four in four.

Now I say bring on Thursday afternoon and see what Richmond has left in
THEIR legs. I think the early start is going to hurt them more than us.

I was relieved we drew Thursday/Saturday because I have tickets to the games on Sunday and I am hoping I get to see Coach K lose his last game without the pressure of having to watch the Iowa score on some shitbag CBS sportstracker app on my phone like some kind of animal.

I was relieved we drew Thursday/Saturday because I have tickets to the games on Sunday and I am hoping I get to see Coach K lose his last game without the pressure of having to watch the Iowa score on some shitbag CBS sportstracker app on my phone like some kind of animal.
That was so nice to watch those Thursday and Friday evening conference championship games knowing that we already had our win in the bank. Especially being in a Wisconsin bar watching their Bucky's put up a dud.

Latest posts