Wegher Returns; Heart Wasn't In It (NOT WHAT IT SEEMS)

As much as I'd like to see Wegher back in black and gold, I just hope he can get things figured out for himself. It's easy to forget how differently the world looks from the perspective of a 19 year-old- and can't imagine how the pressure of being a key performer on a top 10 team influences that perspective.

He's a kid that plays like a pint-sized battering ram, and if his head/heart isn't in it, he'll get himself hurt.

Best of luck to Brandon.

Maybe those bandwagon jumpers at the Register need to focus on the facts and not start these firestorms. Let the media in Eastern Iowa break news on the Hawks, and that 2nd-rate paper in Des Moines can break all of the ISU stories they want.

I swear, all they do is try and point out every negative with anything Iowa and magnify it so much that it enrages every Iowa fan. Then when Iowa starts doing well in anything and Iowa has proven those at the Register that Iowa is legit, they then hop on the bandwagon.

I am originally from Central Iowa, born and raised, and I miss the old days of the Register where Iowa was thought highly of, and not on the same level as ISU and our other state Universities, as is the case now.

That may sound biased, but until a school in this state can sniff Iowa's resume with some of their own achievements over a long period of time like Fry and Ferentz have done, then, and only then, should the Register look at Iowa as an equal of the other Universities.

I wish Ferentz could throw the ban-hammer at those folks in Des Moines. He doesn't need them to cover Iowa Football, not one bit.

Just an FYI - they published the story from Andy and the Press Citizen. The DMR sucks tainted eggs, but since Gannett owns the PC, they do this all the time with stories from the PC.

BW obviously needs some time away, and we just have to support him as he gets everything taken care of.

I think he's probably done. Even if he decides to take his redshirt this year he comes back next year with JH and A-Rob ahead of him plus he will be competing with Coker and D'andre. Unless he switches positions I don't see him coming back.

This is the reality of it. Wegher is done, most likely never again to be seen as a Hawkeye. He's not the first and will certainly not be the last, chalk him up with Greving, Neubauer and Collins.

I too, think it was meant to imply the first part of camp. I would think if it were recently, Kirk would have been a little more clear in his comments.

Re: Wegher Returns; Heart Wasn't In It (Per Ferentz)

tweeter- since this story broke, you have believed he is done at Iowa, at least that's what I've taken from your responses to the various threads on this issue. Why so convinced BW is history?

I don't base that on any specific knowledge of BW or this situation but more on a good deal of personal experience with college-age individuals and those immediately out of college.

Understand, when he left training camp he knew he could be jeopardizing a pretty significant part of his life -- the accolades and national media attention of being a running back on a Big 10 D-1 football team, a full-ride scholarship to attend the University of Iowa and possibly even a chance to play in the NFL. My guess is that when he decided to leave Iowa City his mind was already 75-80 percent out the door.

Based only on what has been posted on message boards, Brandon has had a major change in his life, one that is affecting a lot of people and requiring some significant decisions. He's no doubt hearing from those close to him and is having to re-order his priorities. Those may or may not include playing football or attending classes in Iowa City. That's understandable. This is a tender age for 19- and 20-year-olds, and they change their minds about many things a lot.

I want to see him back as a Hawkeye. I thought he showed a lot of toughness and potential as a freshman and was eager to watch him grow. My gut tells me he is gone. I think KF suspects he is gone but is leaving the door open should he decide to return.

I would love to be wrong.

I don't think ANYTHING has changed significantly since this whole thing broke earlier this month.

At what point is he not allowed to return back to the team as it may become a distraction and become negative within the team?

The team has not been playing with him all camp. I don't think it will affect them at all.

Kirk seems very understanding to the issue BW is going through, so I think he's treating it differently than a player who is just unsure about whether they want to play.

Maybe those bandwagon jumpers at the Register need to focus on the facts and not start these firestorms. Let the media in Eastern Iowa break news on the Hawks, and that 2nd-rate paper in Des Moines can break all of the ISU stories they want.

I swear, all they do is try and point out every negative with anything Iowa and magnify it so much that it enrages every Iowa fan. Then when Iowa starts doing well in anything and Iowa has proven those at the Register that Iowa is legit, they then hop on the bandwagon.

I am originally from Central Iowa, born and raised, and I miss the old days of the Register where Iowa was thought highly of, and not on the same level as ISU and our other state Universities, as is the case now.

That may sound biased, but until a school in this state can sniff Iowa's resume with some of their own achievements over a long period of time like Fry and Ferentz have done, then, and only then, should the Register look at Iowa as an equal of the other Universities.

I wish Ferentz could throw the ban-hammer at those folks in Des Moines. He doesn't need them to cover Iowa Football, not one bit.

Amen brother! God, I would love to see KF tell the register to ef off.

So you're saying just because a guy that is a back-up that has talent and doesn't practice, no matter what the reason, will not have an impact on the other player's thoughts? There is clearly an opportunity for this to become an "issue" with some players.

So you're saying just because a guy that is a back-up that has talent and doesn't practice, no matter what the reason, will not have an impact on the other player's thoughts? There is clearly an opportunity for this to become an "issue" with some players.

based on what?

Based on the fact the "team" is practicing - in hot weather - and BW is not with the team. While the team is bonding and preparing for the season here is this guy in the background getting attention and deciding if he wants to play.

Redshirt him and let the team focus on practice and the season instead of whatever personal issue someone has.

Based on the fact the "team" is practicing - in hot weather - and BW is not with the team. While the team is bonding and preparing for the season here is this guy in the background getting attention and deciding if he wants to play.

Redshirt him and let the team focus on practice and the season instead of whatever personal issue someone has.

Or let KF handle it in whatever way he deems best.

Of course we should let KF handle it how he deems best. The point of a board is to post your opinion or provide new information. If we shouldn't do these things than why have a message board?

I'm not saying in any way that I wouldn't want BW on the team but at some point this becomes a distraction.

Latest posts