Wegher not playing at IWCC

Section136

Cant believe this hasnt been mentioned yet as it is a couple days old but Brandon Wegher will not be eligiable to play football this year at Iowa Western.

He ended up needing 2 more credits in order to qualify. What a fall from grace this kid has had in the last 19 months or so. From clinching a BCS win for Iowa with a TD run, to quitting the team, the stuff going on in his personal life, walking on at Oklahoma for about 2 days worth of Spring practice and then trying to play at Iowa Western and not being eligiable.

Im going to bet that this kid never plays another down of meaningful football again.

Here is an article from the Omaha World-Herald.

Coach says Reivers are ready - Omaha.com

Notice the Reiver's coach is incorrect. Wegher only has two years of eligibility remaining. This is his third year of five years to play four seasons. His five years began counting when he enrolled at Iowa in August of 2009.

Also, Coe is not the starting running back.

OK. How does one qualify to play at Iowa in the 1st place than fail to qualify at Iowa Western? How does that happen? It leaves me wondering if he really should not have been qualified at Iowa in the 1st place.

I have a strong suspicion that if he did stay at Iowa, he would have had academic problems in the future. So, with all that went on with him leaving ends up being a moot point, I guess. It was prob inevitable & he prob saw the writing on the wall, academically speaking.

I still wish him well & that he can get things going in the right direction which I think he can. He just needs to get over one more hump.

Last edited:
OK. How does one qualify to play at Iowa in the 1st place than fail to qualify at Iowa Western? How does that happen? It leaves me wondering if he really should not have been qualified at Iowa in the 1st place.

I have a strong suspicion that if he did stay at Iowa, he would have had academic problems in the future. So, with all that went on with him leaving ends up being a moot point, I guess. It was prob inevitable & he prob saw the writing on the wall, academically speaking.

I still wish him well & that he can get things going in the right direction which I think he can. He just needs to get over one more hump.

Wegher's problem is not with his grade point average. In theory, he could have a straight 4.0 grade point & still be ineligible. Wegher has not completed enough credit hours to be eligible. Let's face it, he probably completed very few credit hours last year at Iowa & Oklahoma. Brandon probably got no credit for his short time at Oklahoma.

Notice the Reiver's coach is incorrect. Wegher only has two years of eligibility remaining. This is his third year of five years to play four seasons. His five years began counting when he enrolled at Iowa in August of 2009.

Those five years do not need to be consecutive and he could get a hardship and I doubt last year counted against him. Plus if he is part-time this year it won't count either. Sounds like you don't know how eligibility rules work.

Those five years do not need to be consecutive and he could get a hardship and I doubt last year counted against him. Plus if he is part-time this year it won't count either. Sounds like you don't know how eligibility rules work.

Yes those five years absolutely need to be consecutive. I think you need to brush up on the eligibility rules.

Hey you two. If you have an eligibilty question you must ask HawkfaninTx in the Coker thread.

I hope Wegher well and, admittedly, I made my fair share of mistakes, both in and out of college.

BUT . . . this kid is a first class idiot. Good God. What a b*oner.

Sorry - I forgot the Coker thread rule :) Basically - you are wrong. Division I is continuous. Division II and III are not.

Last edited:

The Division I clock is a constant clock, it never stops, so regardless if an individual participates, takes only 6 credits for a semester or drops out of college, the Division I clock still runs until it ends 5 years later. The 5 year clock begins the semester an individual enrolls as a full-time student.

The Division II & III clock counts down 1 semester from the 10 semester clock. The difference is that the clock only takes 1 semester at a time when an individual is registered as a full time student on a semester by semester basis. Consequently, if an individual is registered for 6 credit hours the student will not lose a semester of eligibility. However, the NCAA requires full-time status to be eligibile to play.

The main thing is that the NCAA clocks are affected by the student's status, regardless whether the individual plays sports or not. Also, keep in mind that no matter what level of college athletics a student participates in, all three NCAA divisions overlap -- in that if an individual is at a Division I school, not only is DI clock counting down when the individual first becomes a full time student, but Division II/III clock also counts down, one semester at a time.

Without question, Wegher only has two years of Division I eligibility remaining

Now, if he went to Coe or Luther, he may get a third year of eligibility, but I doubt it. To participate in Iowa's fall drills last year, Oklahoma's spring practice, & Iowa Western's training camp this year, Wegher had to be registered as a full-time student. It doesn't matter that Wegher may have dropped out, he was registered.

Never question my knowledge of the NCAA rules, you buffoon.

Foval there's been few times on this message board someone has been as wrong as you are. See Columbushawk's response and yes you can remove his nuts from your chin :)

I very seriously doubt it had anything to do with the difficulty of the academics.

The guy that might matter to Hawk fans someday, Rodney Coe, had 9 carries for 63 yards and a TD today. Andre Dawson had the bigger rushing stats.

Dawson had over a hundred yards and at least two touchdowns. any chance the hawks are recruiting him?

What happened with that situation? Weren't we recruiting him? Did he not qualify? I can't seem to remember. If somebody could enlighten me, that'd be great.

Latest posts