We had a budding NBA star on the roster last year and couldn’t win a tourney game

Correct. The hate over here for nebraska is beyond palpable. As @InGoodCo can attest, their fans are a special kind of gentic defectives.
Yeah and there's too many Neb fans amongst the good folks where I grew up too. My 8th grade science teacher and basketball coach was a Nebraska alum. We had a good time going at it.

Correct. The hate over here for nebraska is beyond palpable. As @InGoodCo can attest, their fans are a special kind of gentic defectives.
NE and Iowa fans clash a lot in Omaha. Lots of em on our side of the river and lots of us on their side of the river. Their media is OBSESSED with Iowa. Sports talk obsessed, TV obsessed, OMW obsessed.... they all fuel the Iowa hate.

Honest question for you Fry. After 18 years you don’t feel like he is due?

I know we all would like to see it. Is it unrealistic to expect it given his pay grade? I don’t think it’s unrealistic at all. Expecting it every other year, that would be unrealistic.

I think being fair once every seven to ten years would be reasonable given where he falls among coaches on the pay scale. None in 23 consecutive years? Seriously?

It would be comical if it weren’t so sad especially from the offensive side of the ball. “Hey coach how’s it feel to be a top ten paid coach in all of college football and have an offense that’s ranked 122nd out of 131 teams?

We shouldn’t expect better than that? Are Iowa fans getting their drinking water out of Flint Michigan?
I actually don't think KF's been a top 10 paid coach for several years now. You keep stating that.

For christsakes man, you just don't fuckin get it. Ever.

It's not about the money he's paid. It's about where Iowa is as a program. There are a whole lot of schools that would pay more money for Kirk Ferentz. You want to throw the guy to the curb and be the next nebraska. I honestly believe that. You're just that goddamned dense and short-sighted, I know know how else to say it.

There is no way whatsoever to predict a coach's performance with any sort of confidence at all. Coaching success is almost all luck of everything falling into place at once, and when it does, it's self-perpetuating. Nick Saban wasn't all that before Alabama. Alabama rolled the dice and won the lottery. Same thing with Duke and Kryzesceszskywzy. They hadn't done shit.

nebraska got sick of Solich being good (weird, I know) and hired a complete fizzle. Then, as if the football gods were giving them another chance, they hired Pelini who never went below 9 wins. Fired him because of administration and donors who think the way you do and then they proceeded to hire the two worst football coaches in program history in a row with zero light at the end of the tunnel. And that was nebraska. A nebraska team with (at the time) an unbelievably bigger hiring advantage than a school like Iowa.

IT'S A FUCKING 100,000 TO 1 DICE ROLL.

For every good coach there are thousands of duds, and you want to roll those dice because "Well you can't get anywhere if you don't try..."

BULLSHIT.

That's not how it works, Francis. You're essentially buying lottery tickets thinking that at some point if you buy enough that you have to win. It. Doesn't. Work. That. Way.

We've had over 4 decades of stability and a program that most schools would kill for. That's worth something. We are more often than not in the top 25 of polls and mathematical ranking systems at the end of the year. That's worth something. I could go on and on.

The "pay grade" is market value. You want the donors and BOR to go to KF and say, we're docking your pay by $3million because you haven't won the B1G? He'd walk. And then you're left sucking your thumb looking for the next Scott Frost or Mike Riley or Gene Chizek or god knows who. Do you not realize how dumb that would be?

Solid post.

Yes, think what Nick Saban would do at Iowa. Prob similar or possibly worse than KF.

Ever wonder how KF would do at an Alabama or Ohio St? How would KF do with a team loaded with 5* recruits, prob pretty good.

Who do you consider our 3 biggest rivals? I would say ISU, Minny, and Wisco, so he owns 2 of 3. Please don't tell me you're replacing Wisco with Debbie. :)

I dunno. The games I seem to look forward most are Wisconsin, Penn St and Nebraska. I realize we don't play Penn St. every season, but I really enjoy those games.

Better be careful there. He will start throwing insults at you too. The rednecks always go that route.

As one poster stated very recently he has no business moderating on this board. A real moderated would have banned him already.

It’s one thing to express your view on the football program it’s another to throw personal insults at anyone that you disagree with.

Every fan should want their program to do better and has the right to believe that they can. Fry is saying we aren’t good enough and won’t be good enough to win a conference title.

What kind of fan is that? That’s a loser mindset. What kind of person has a loser mindset? Could it be a LOSER?

I actually think you should both slide to the middle just a little a bit. If you read between the insults, what he says has some truth. It's just such an uphill battle and KF has done well as a whole at Iowa.

Now, as you point out, should we have expectations for c-ships. Yes, I agree with you. But, ya can't kick a coach to the curb or play revolving coaches at Iowa trying to hit the lottery. That is true. That is not a plan for success. He's correct that a program like Iowa is more close to a Purdue than a Ohio St. One bad coaching decision and it's back to consistent 6-6 or 7-5 seasons, or even worse.

Also, I think it's true many if not most programs would luv to have a coach like Ferentz and his consistent success. Iowa is viewed as a tough out. A disciplined team that does it right.

It would be interesting to poll other BIG fan bases on this or how they view KF and his program.

For the posters that don't think Nebraska is a rival, you are delusional. I will entertain the debate of whether Wisky or Nebbie is bigger rival. I will note that the conference did not think the Wisky rivalry was so sacrosanct as it did not schedule it for a few years. Take that for what it is worth.

Nebbie is a rival. The fans hate each other. We fill each other's stadiums with a healthy contingent for road games. The game is played on Black Friday every year. The game has a special setting! We share a huge border with Nebbie and there are lots of fans living in the other team's state. There is a trophy at stake. There have been infamous quotes and snipes over the years by players and coaches. It is a newer rivalry, but it has quickly taken hold.

You don't have any of that juice with NW or Purdue or Illinois.

I live in Nebraska, so its near the top for me. I hate these arrogant Bugeater fans. Everyone can rank them differently, but to say Nebbie is not a rival ignores reality.

Also, we own Nebbie. Like a shitty pair of shoes we can't throw out.

I view Wisconsin as a rival with the game and division results in mind.

I view Nebby as a rival with the fans in mind which is different.

To me, Wisky gets the edge because usually they have a say in the divisions c-ship at this point. Also, their team prob closely resembles Iowa the most of any other team we play.

I don't view Purdue or NW as a rival. Yes, we've lost some games to them, but, that happens to a lot of team matchups. Hell, I'm not even sure I view Minny as a rival. It's a nice game to me, but there usually isn't a lot riding on it and the fans are ............... blah.

I actually think you should both slide to the middle just a little a bit. If you read between the insults, what he says has some truth. It's just such an uphill battle and KF has done well as a whole at Iowa.

Now, as you point out, should we have expectations for c-ships. Yes, I agree with you. But, ya can't kick a coach to the curb or play revolving coaches at Iowa trying to hit the lottery. That is true. That is not a plan for success. He's correct that a program like Iowa is more close to a Purdue than a Ohio St. One bad coaching decision and it's back to consistent 6-6 or 7-5 seasons, or even worse.

Also, I think it's true many if not most programs would luv to have a coach like Ferentz and his consistent success. Iowa is viewed as a tough out. A disciplined team that does it right.

It would be interesting to poll other BIG fan bases on this or how they view KF and his program.
Almost every single post for the last decade from @BigD is about how much Ferentz sucks. He'd rather burn the whole Hayden Fry era down and start over because he thinks Iowa somehow has this magical power to hire a coach who's going to go out and start winning conference championships every so often. I'm sorry, that's just plain stupid and I'm going to call it out. If we sucked, it'd be one thing. But to take a 100,000 to 1 dice roll on a program that's been the most stable in all of college football and had more success that the vast majority of other schools is incomprehensibly stupid. It's like trying to argue with a flat-earther. They just don't understand reality. The reality that there are tons of horrible coaches out there who'll promise everything for a buck and never deliver. BigD wants to take us to nebraska's level and I'm gonna call it out every time.

Solid post.

Yes, think what Nick Saban would do at Iowa. Prob similar or possibly worse than KF.

Ever wonder how KF would do at an Alabama or Ohio St? How would KF do with a team loaded with 5* recruits, prob pretty good.
We already kinda know how Saban would do he was at MSU for a few mins. He didn't set the world on fire. Granted Iowa is different than MSU too but it's fairly comparable of a job. Be he knew that wasn't where you could reach the top of the top and maintain it for any length of time. Timing was everything with him getting to LSU when he did and getting a ring there and the dominos falling how they did after that.

Schools like MSU and Iowa couldn't have a run like what Bamas been on in modern times. It's just impossible. There's only a small number that could with the right coach and circumstances.

Must be a regional thing. I grew up in NW Iowa and Nebraska is enemy #1 more so than MN over there. I don't think it's changed much. It's more then Wisky hate or IL hate. Hell folks have been indifferent to IL for a long time now. They are more of a hoops rival.
IL hates Iowa very passionately.

The Gophers have a chant, and shirts, and everything! :)

hate.0.jpeg

The Gophers have a chant, and shirts, and everything! :)

hate.0.jpeg
MN just hates Iowa in general. No real good reasons. IL is mostly about Bruce Pearl. They are not Duke because of Bruce P. Sure was fun when Iowa and IL took turns shredding each other in FB especially since Iowa had the upper hand mostly. When I lived in MN, the locals were so serious about everything. The Iowa Expats had a good time which drove them nuts.

Anyone who thinks Iowa and Minnesota are anything but huge rivals hasn’t been a BT fan for very many years. Start with the story of Floyd.
Most of us don't have your history. MN and IL Haye Iowa more than the other way. Iowa has an obsession with Nebby more than the other way.I wish Iowa had more hate toward NW. Iowa and W are like the kids in Let's Be Enemies. Sort of like you and Fry.

Most of us don't have your history. MN and IL Haye Iowa more than the other way. Iowa has an obsession with Nebby more than the other way.I wish Iowa had more hate toward NW. Iowa and W are like the kids in Let's Be Enemies. Sort of like you and Fry.
This couldnt be more wrong. Flip the nebby and NW part and you might have an argument.

This couldnt be more wrong. Flip the nebby and NW part and you might have an argument.
I've lived in Iowa, MN, Nebby and MN. I currently reside in IL. My comments are spot on. Bigger in all of this is the Iowa obsession with Nebby. Look at a Nebby message board and see all the posts by Iowa fans. Never have seen anything like that anywhere by any other fan base. We all like to make fun of Clowns, but Nebby is on a whole different level.

Put another way, Dude you are way off.

Having been to a number of Illini games and looking at it from a non Illini fan perspective.

No fans are as obnoxious though as Michigan fans. They are just about intolerable. OSU fans are actually pretty good fans. Iowa fans come to Illinois and mostly just support their team, even in all the Iowa hate. Iowa fans tend to be older and wear really old Hawk apparel. That though is waning through time and of course bad IL teams in football. The BB team lost community connection toward the end of Weber and progressively has gotten worse. Currently the community in general doesn't care. Some has to do with the death of the Chief. Badger fans are pretty tame. IU BB fans used to be awful, but not so much anymore.

Nebby fans do live in the past, but in general, they are quite polite.

Last edited:
They weren’t polite until they started to suck.
Maybe, not sure. I was there during some of the best times. I never got heckled. Only place I've been heckled is in Missouri. And frankly the Iowans deserved it, at least then. Was so glad when Iowa be Sunvold and Stepo in BB but you were in diapers.

They weren’t polite until they started to suck.
Last year ran into some Husker fan at Yellowstone the day after IL beat them in football. I had on an old Illini cap (its comfy). They were good natured about it. Then I told them about my Hawkeye loyalties. Still good. There was about 20 of them and the park wasn't very full. North likely has more red stuff than I have blue. Black hats are too hot.

Most people are decently natured anywhere whether Iowa, Nebby, and so on.