We don't deserve an NCAA berth

Obiously the shot clock call stands out. I can see the no call on the marble jumper as he clearly jumped into the defender to draw contact. The MSU defender wasn't verticle there either, but sometimes trying to draw a foul has the opposite effect. If you put pressure on an official to make a call sometimes you don't like the outcome.

My biggest complaint is MSU got away with too much on the perimeter late.

What are your thoughts as a ref on the hand checking/pushing guards away from the basket? From what I played with I can't believe what they consider defense now, the NFL allows less contact on wide receivers than what basketball now allows on guards. That is not the game I know and love, I think you have to be tough and play on but if a guy can just push a guard out of the key than it will truely just become a big mans game.

On the whole I have no issues. The B10 wants a physical game. Part of the problem with that is it leads to inconsistency at times just by the nature of it. Again I thought we got a fair shake and the game was decided by the ten on the floor, and that's all you can ever ask of a crew.

I have to agree with the part about physicality and inconsistency. Isn't this really the problem though? But why does the B1G want physical games? That isn't basketball.

What are your thoughts as a ref on the hand checking/pushing guards away from the basket? From what I played with I can't believe what they consider defense now, the NFL allows less contact on wide receivers than what basketball now allows on guards. That is not the game I know and love, I think you have to be tough and play on but if a guy can just push a guard out of the key than it will truely just become a big mans game.

I don't like the contact that goes on outside either, which is why I said that was my biggest gripe. I'm all for banging down low, perhaps cause I was a banger, but when guards can't penetrate due to hand checks and defenders riding them 25 feet from the bucket you get a lot of ugly games, which describes far too many big ten games.

I have to agree with the part about physicality and inconsistency. Isn't this really the problem though? But why does the B1G want physical games? That isn't basketball.

Physical play in theory lets the players decide outcomes. Stronger and more skilled players are supposed to rise to the top. That said perimeter physicality is not a good thing.

Can someone make a highlight video? Here’s some material off the top of my head to get you started:
-Nix steamrolling McCabe for an and 1
-An extra tardy whistle on Payne landing on top of Basabe
-White blocking that freshman with the weird-shaped noggin at the end of the game
-Marble getting annihilated on the 3 by Nix then called for reach in.
-McCabe diving for loose ball, not touching anyone, called a foul
-Marble getting manhandled by Appling on shot then called for foul on other end
-Marble getting fouled on the game-tying 3
-Shot clock violation that wasn’t called (Wasn’t even close)

There was a point when Gesell was completely bearhugged toward end of shot clock to prevent him from getting to basket. That was sort of a microcosm of the 2nd half.

Nix steamrolling McCabe was the worst call of the night. First off, he traveled before he got the shot off. Iowa didn't make enough plays to win the game down the stretch, but the officials were bad! Duffman, an official should never get recognized during a game if they are doing a good job! This officiating crew didn't go unrecognized - they were crap!

What the **** is a ref groupie? Because I have a better understanding of officiating than the average mouth bringing poster ******** about officiating after a loss I'm a groupie? Maybe I'm a little more educated in the matter because I worked about 130 games this year ranging from 3rd graders to college. Maybe that's it.

128 middle school games and two AAU games. You are edumucated.

Dude, seriously, the refs swallowed their whistles for about 6-7 minutes in the 2nd half and became completely inconsistent with the way the first 30 minutes of the game was called. MSU is obviously the more aggressive and physical team so it benefited them.

I get that you don't want to blame the refs and I don't either but they aren't completely free from error. Mistakes were made and they were inconsistent down the stretch, but Iowa still had chances to win.

Andrew Francis was on the sideline giving the universal choking signal as Clemmons coughed up 3 timely turnovers. How can you honestly miss White that wide open under the hoop for an easy dunk on a designed play. Horrid play right there.

Can someone make a highlight video? Here’s some material off the top of my head to get you started:
-Nix steamrolling McCabe for an and 1
-An extra tardy whistle on Payne landing on top of Basabe
-White blocking that freshman with the weird-shaped noggin at the end of the game
-Marble getting annihilated on the 3 by Nix then called for reach in.
-McCabe diving for loose ball, not touching anyone, called a foul
-Marble getting manhandled by Appling on shot then called for foul on other end
-Marble getting fouled on the game-tying 3
-Shot clock violation that wasn’t called (Wasn’t even close)

There was a point when Gesell was completely bearhugged toward end of shot clock to prevent him from getting to basket. That was sort of a microcosm of the 2nd half.

There were so many more bad calls than just these. It was awful.

I think Iowa definitely deserves a bid (although I don't think they will get it). Yes, we lost many close games but this team is headed in the right direction. There will definitely be teams in the tournament that we can beat ... We just happened to play in the top conference in the nation.

If the last 4 in all played the 5 games that the op was talking about, they would maybe win 2. Most would end in double digit loses. We definitely deserve a bid when compared to the other bubble teams.

Completely agree with the OP.

It's not like we lost one or two or even three games at the end during crunch time.

We won "zero" of them. The # of data points is sufficient to establish a pattern versus an aberration.

It comes down to either we performed or we didn't. And we didn't.

I feel like Bum Phillips...knocking on the door, but never going through it.

And to me the most telling part of our season-long meltdowns was the fact it happened against different teams with completely different talent levels and styles.

Indy
MSU
MSU
Wisky
Purdue
Nebraska
Minnesota

The only consistency is our bad play when things got tight and we blew late 2nd half leads.

This isn't the BCS. Piling up wins against lesser-rated teams doesn't help much at the end. The entire season's body of work does.

And for Iowa, this year, sorry, the resume doesn't get us hired.

On the whole I have no issues. The B10 wants a physical game. Part of the problem with that is it leads to inconsistency at times just by the nature of it. Again I thought we got a fair shake and the game was decided by the ten on the floor, and that's all you can ever ask of a crew.

Duff, I agree with you on this, but at the same time I feel that was the problem with the crew last night. If you want a physical game thats one thing. To call ticky tack fouls on one team and let the other team play is weak. There has to be consistency. I'll be ther firtst to admit that I'm an Iowa homer, but at the same time, blame the loss on the mental meltdown and not the officials, but the fact is as you said if the BIG wants physical basketball, there's zero excuses for the amount of ticky tack fouls called on Iowa. Let's not forget MSU is one of the most physical teams in the nation and was only called for 6 fouls in the second half. You can't have it both ways and their needs to be a consistency between how much physical play each team is allowed to get away with. In this case MSU was allowed alot, Iowa was allowed very little. Not consistent at all.

Some people need to realize that sometimes it can be a combination of player mistakes AND unbalanced officiating that lose a game.

This is meant for the "officials can never decide games" crowd.

If the last 4 in all played the 5 games that the op was talking about, they would maybe win 2. Most would end in double digit loses. We definitely deserve a bid when compared to the other bubble teams.

LOL and if we had one maybe two of those five we would be in and deservingly so.

Ths is because the average basketball fan understands less about basketball officiating than the average fan of any other sport.

I do not know whether or not officiating cost Iowa in the game, but I do know that it is unbelieveable, the amount of contact allowed in Most BIG games and then ticky tack crap is called. You see players knocked out of bounce driving the baseline with no call being made. Hand checking, body blocking, etc. All, out of control. Then an official bails out MSU with the phantom foul on White at a crucial spot in the game.

Izzo owns the BIG referees. He will get the calls down the stretch in a game. Hopefully Fran will be here long enough to get the same treatment.

Latest posts