We could be top 5 nationally

4thngoal

In defense this year. Sights should be set high, but ability to recover fast if they hit a slump.
The stars are aligning, it's up to the players now.

Add in our Offense should take a step forward and we could go far.

Add in the sos we should have this year and.......

I think our defense could be very good, likely top 20 nationally, but I’m not convinced the offense looks improved on paper just yet. It’s a long way to go but our running game sucked last year and I’m not sure I’m seeing anything that gives me reason to think it takes a big jump forward. With the loss of the TE production some other area is going to need to take a big step forward.

I think our defense could be very good, likely top 20 nationally, but I’m not convinced the offense looks improved on paper just yet. It’s a long way to go but our running game sucked last year and I’m not sure I’m seeing anything that gives me reason to think it takes a big jump forward. With the loss of the TE production some other area is going to need to take a big step forward.

I agree the offense needs to put up or shut up.
I also agree a couple guys will be missed on defense, so some serious competition better be going on for those spots. Big shoes to fill.
But I think our line is going to be a force. I think our backers have talent and we are not totally green like last year. That said the talent in waiting is going to push pretty hard for play time.
Just overall it seems we have almost the perfect combination of talent, experience, size, strength, speed on defense to absolutely put a stamp on the program and wow the college football scene.
Like I said the stars are aligning, what the coaches and players do with it is up to them.

What’s holding the D back is finding a run-stuffer up the middle. Last one Iowa had was Jaleel Johnson. So- Nixon seems the most likely candidate. Shannon possibly or Lattimore coming on as a senior? One of these would have to emerge as a league performer for Iowa to take the next step defensively. Otherwise, it’s a good D, but certainly not top 5.

During most "good" years, our defense seems to be near the top 20 nationally. So this would be totally feasible. But I don't foresee Iowa having enough depth, talent, or aggressiveness to be a top 5 total defense. The top 5 defenses in CFB have an extra layer of talent, speed, and aggressive play, that isn't really true of Iowa. We're an inherently more conservative defense, and it works. The defensive blueprint at Iowa is certainly more nuanced than the cliche, "bend but don't break!", but it's a cliche for a reason.

Two main things to consider:
1) It all starts up front. How good is the D Line? It seems we'll be as talented as anyone at DE. Will we have strong performance from the interior DL? Can Nixon step up?

2) If Iowa gets standout play from the linebacker group, I think the defense transforms from good to elite. Niemann, Amani Jones, Doyle, Welch, etc. - can they step up and dominate? I think the talent is there.

Iowa’s line will be fine, I’m worried most about replacing hooker
I'm not.
I'm betting someone or someone's have been working for this opportunity for a long time.
I expect their to be one heck of a battle for the cash position.

tenor.gif

Carl Davis really broke out his senior season, as did Jaleel Johnson in his senior season.

If big Cedrick can make that jump for us this year ... man! That could be a very good defense indeed.

But it seems like we have had elite-level defense for the last 2 years. Getting to double-digit wins will be totally dependent on the offense. Schedule looks much more daunting this year as well, given the improvement from teams like MN, ISU and UNL.

Away games of note: ISU, Michigan, Northwestern, Wisconsin and Nebby. Home games look pretty do-able, but Penn State comes to town immediately after our trip to Ann Arbor. We need to hold serve at home and in the non-conference. Plus it would be nice to break through against some of these teams who have winning streaks against us, like Wisconsin, Northwestern, Purdue and Penn State.

I’m not convinced the offense looks improved on paper just yet

Iowa has a senior QB and in years where we have a senior QB, we are always dominant on offense. Tate's senior year would have been great if he didn't ding his shoulder, Stanzi's was amazing, CJB's was amazing. JVB's would have been amazing if the internet know it alls hadn't run O'Keefe and left us with the Greg Davis offense. The problem was each of those years the defense took a major dump, but this defensive unit will not take a dump.

Iowa has a senior QB and in years where we have a senior QB, we are always dominant on offense. Tate's senior year would have been great if he didn't ding his shoulder, Stanzi's was amazing, CJB's was amazing. JVB's would have been amazing if the internet know it alls hadn't run O'Keefe and left us with the Greg Davis offense. The problem was each of those years the defense took a major dump, but this defensive unit will not take a dump.
You may want to check your stats. It looks to me like the offense was better in CJB’s junior year. Doesn’t appear there is any correlation between a senior QB and successful offense at Iowa.

Also Iowa has never, never been dominant on offense in the KF regime.

You may want to check your stats. It looks to me like the offense was better in CJB’s junior year. Doesn’t appear there is any correlation between a senior QB and successful offense at Iowa.

Also Iowa has never, never been dominant on offense in the KF regime.
We beat the #2 team in the nation and lost to the #1 team in the nation FCS that year.

I'm not.
I'm betting someone or someone's have been working for this opportunity for a long time.
I expect their to be one heck of a battle for the cash position.

This position in the future will be a huge deal for Iowa and teams country wide. They are future NFL stars as teams in the NFL play more pass happy offenses.

Well that list is sorted by total yards it seems. I like to look at the total point given up by the defense and we may not have been 7th but we were very good there also.

Gotta give up yads to allow points.
Which brings up another question. If we didn't give up many yards, then we must not have bent much in a bend but don't break system we all say we have.
I just have a good feeling we will be pretty good on defense this year. More guys are at least thinking "hey if I have a good year, my draft stock will go up"
Many other guys are thinking "this is my shot to get on the field san show what I've got".
We have everything needed to have a great/stellar defense.
The offense?
Who knows. I'm still a little meh about our ol coach. We have had some pretty good guys to work with.
Maybe this year it all comes together and we can run better as well as pass block??
Our wr coach? Well he had more of an ground up building process, but it's been a few years now.
Our rb coach? He has had the least amount of time, however a vast improvement in short amount of time garners atttention and rightfully so.
Can KOK finally put the "senior quarterbacks always regress" comments to rest?
Can BF make this the year when everyone says, we made a great hire. When he puts his stamp on Iowa's offense from a coaching stand point?
(They have been slowly getting better, but just how players suddenly break out, can the entire offense, coaches and players do that this year?)
So again, offense? Who the **** knows.
But I won't end on a down note.
We usually seem to do ok with TE's and we might now have a kicker, so we have that going for us.

Last edited:
Why dont they let Amani Jones line up where ever and hunt the ball. thats his only job, find the ball and kill it.

Latest posts