We could be top 5 nationally

Carl Davis really broke out his senior season, as did Jaleel Johnson in his senior season.

If big Cedrick can make that jump for us this year ... man! That could be a very good defense indeed.

But it seems like we have had elite-level defense for the last 2 years. Getting to double-digit wins will be totally dependent on the offense. Schedule looks much more daunting this year as well, given the improvement from teams like MN, ISU and UNL.

Away games of note: ISU, Michigan, Northwestern, Wisconsin and Nebby. Home games look pretty do-able, but Penn State comes to town immediately after our trip to Ann Arbor. We need to hold serve at home and in the non-conference. Plus it would be nice to break through against some of these teams who have winning streaks against us, like Wisconsin, Northwestern, Purdue and Penn State.

Actually, I think Johnson and Davis kind of broke through as juniors, but they red-shirted (4th year on campus). Lattimore did NOT redshirt, and he started as a true sophomore. This coming year will be his 4th on campus, and I would think that maturity plus the sense of urgency of this being his last go-round will lead to a very special season. He has a legit chance at a pro career (almost all of our multi-year starting DTs at least get a look), and now is the time to make it happen.

How many future pros are in the 2 deeps? I would guess a bunch.

Iowa has a senior QB and in years where we have a senior QB, we are always dominant on offense. Tate's senior year would have been great if he didn't ding his shoulder, Stanzi's was amazing, CJB's was amazing. JVB's would have been amazing if the internet know it alls hadn't run O'Keefe and left us with the Greg Davis offense. The problem was each of those years the defense took a major dump, but this defensive unit will not take a dump.

JVB's last year the receivers were clueless as to where they were going. Reading as they went and JVB was never on same page with them. Not his fault.

JVB's last year the receivers were clueless as to where they were going. Reading as they went and JVB was never on same page with them. Not his fault.
Yup as great of a hire that guys like Morgan and the Parkers were for KF, Davis was a terrible one. In year one you expected some confusion and adjusting to get guys on the same page but he just wasted JVB and some good receivers. Not to mention over the course of the rest of his tenure which he had plenty of time he never had the offense as good as he should have..

By a score of 3 to 2, yes we can.
3-2 would be perfect, last second field goal, after an off-side penalty by the Badges gives Iowa another chance and is five yards closer. Into the student section, bounces over the cross bar on the goal post.

In defense this year. Sights should be set high, but ability to recover fast if they hit a slump.
The stars are aligning, it's up to the players now.

Add in our Offense should take a step forward and we could go far.

Add in the sos we should have this year and.......
So .... you’re saying 8-4

Buh-buh da boom

Because on a ball fake he would be on the wrong side of the field and tackling the ball boy?

I saw someone mention yesterday that he has been working at DE some (I assume in rush packages). Interesting. It was noted that his height would present a limitation, but there have been plenty of short, fast pass-rushers that have been effective.

Welp, I thought you were referring to top five in the B1G, chomp, chomp, chomp. Does this mean we will finish above Northwestern? Walking away looking down :oops: shrugging shoulders .................... on Iowa. :(

I saw someone mention yesterday that he has been working at DE some (I assume in rush packages). Interesting. It was noted that his height would present a limitation, but there have been plenty of short, fast pass-rushers that have been effective.
I would think assignments at DE compared to MLB would not be as intricate or as many as so may be that can work. But supposedly that’s why Eppy didn’t start last year so asking Jones to do a position that needs containment discipline still may be a tall ask.

Maybe he’s there to help the tackles get an idea of the speed of edges of 3-4 defenses?

Also Iowa has never, never been dominant on offense in the KF regime.

Without expansion on your personal interpretation of "dominant", I would say this statement is wrong. I distinctly remember 3 different Iowa offenses under Kirk that were dominant in their own right.

Without expansion on your personal interpretation of "dominant", I would say this statement is wrong. I distinctly remember 3 different Iowa offenses under Kirk that were dominant in their own right.

Banks and Greene. What year do you consider the 3rd dominant one?

Iowa’s offense has finished inside the top 30 in scoring twice since 2000. The Brad Banks year (2002) they were 7th. Forgive me for forgetting about 16 seasons ago.

Iowa best scoring offense in the last 10 years comes in at 44, and that was last year. Over the last 19 years Iowa’s scoring offense averages 63rd in the country.

Dominant... lol

Iowa’s offense has finished inside the top 30 in scoring twice since 2000. The Brad Banks year (2002) they were 7th. Forgive me for forgetting about 16 seasons ago.

Iowa best scoring offense in the last 10 years comes in at 44, and that was last year. Over the last 19 years Iowa’s scoring offense averages 63rd in the country.

Dominant... lol

Your normally a rational thinker. I'm suprised you feel this way. First I will address your national offensive rankings. While they are one tool for evaluating a particular team, they are certainly not black and white evidence of dominance. They are simply a stat line to stat line comparison. There will always be offenses ranked higher than arguably better offenses that simply go up against better defenses on average. Iowa plays in the B1G which from top to bottom proves year in and year out that it has the best or at worst on par with the best defenses in the nation. So taking an offensive ranking from any said year and using it as the only metric of contesting dominance, is disingenuous. Even if it is correct.

Secondly if you want me to walk back my contention of Iowa offensive dominance under Kirk you will still have to provide a clear definition of dominance in respect to this debated point. Only then can I evaluate if I believe we have achieved dominance as envisioned by you.

Your normally a rational thinker. I'm suprised you feel this way. First I will address your national offensive rankings. While they are one tool for evaluating a particular team, they are certainly not black and white evidence of dominance. They are simply a stat line to stat line comparison. There will always be offenses ranked higher than arguably better offenses that simply go up against better defenses on average. Iowa plays in the B1G which from top to bottom proves year in and year out that it has the best or at worst on par with the best defenses in the nation. So taking an offensive ranking from any said year and using it as the only metric of contesting dominance, is disingenuous. Even if it is correct.

Secondly if you want me to walk back my contention of Iowa offensive dominance under Kirk you will still have to provide a clear definition of dominance in respect to this debated point. Only then can I evaluate if I believe we have achieved dominance as envisioned by you.
Iowa does play a ball control style in a tougher conference.

Dominant to me is top 15 at least. If you can quantifiably prove that Iowa had a top 15 offense per some sort of metrics three times under KF that would be damn impressive. 2002 I’ll give you but again that was many moons ago.

Stanzi Jr year or Beathard Sr year. You pick. Both teams were incredibly hard to stop.
Stanzi’s junior year he threw 17 TDs and 15 INTs. We did not produce even a 900 yard rusher. Not even close to dominant.

CJB’s senior year Iowa came in at 90th in the country in scoring.

C’mon man this argument is ridiculous.

Stanzi’s junior year he threw 17 TDs and 15 INTs. We did not produce even a 900 yard rusher. Not even close to dominant.

CJB’s senior year Iowa came in at 90th in the country in scoring.

C’mon man this argument is ridiculous.

So scoring more points than are needed to beat your opponent is the only barometer of offensive dominance? Got it.

Latest posts