Watching Final TCU vs Georgia

These sorts of statistics are trotted out to make it seem like going 15-0 one year followed by 6-6 the next year is less desirable than going 8-5 followed by 8-5. I do believe that I could deal with the indignity that LSU fans suffered through when Joe Burrow and that elite cast around him all went to the NFL the same year and they were below .500 the next year.
This Browns fan is perfectly happy with 8-5. I enjoy watching the Hawks play great defense and special teams year in and year out. The Browns don't have any of those 3. We did have Eric Metcalf return kicks, so there's that. People around here think Petras is a bad QB. Maybe, but they truly don't understand bad QB's like I understand bad QB's.

I am guessing that most people haven’t paid much attention to Georgia over the years. Maybe I am familiar with the program because I lived in Geogia for nearly twenty years until recently moving to Utah.

The trajectory of the Georgia program was eerily similar almost shadowing Iowa’s. The Georgia coach was liked by many but the program had fallen into a seven to eight win program year after year.

Finally, that grew old with the fans and they went over and hired away an assistant coach from Alabama and now you see what can happen if you take chances.

The apologist will make their excuses like Iowa State fans did for decades. It’s in the south, they have the recruits there blah blah blah.

Now what do you have EXTREME NEPOTISM. Likely one of the worst offenses in school history dating back to the pre-Hayden Fry era.

I can just hear Hayden saying “Don’t try to tell me how great our defense is just to cover up how horrendous our offense has been for three years in a row. If I hear anyone say that around me I will punch you in the mouth!!!” He made those kind of comments after close losses.

How placid has the Iowa fan base become and why in the hell is Barta still the AD? Good God we have become twin sister’s to the fan base about one hundred miles west of us.

the differences between Iowa and Geogia end with the W/L record under the previous coach. Their location and long therm outlook just can't be compared with Iowa. Did you mean flacid not placid?

There have been 9 playoff years. Georgia has won two, Clemson has won two. Georgia has been runner up once, Clemson twice. Clemson and Athens are 75 miles apart. Clemson got insanely lucky because Florida State fell off a cliff right as they got good. There are no elite college teams in Virginia or North Carolina and so Clemson and UGA have the inside track on a lot of guys who want to "stay local." Tennessee may become a destination in this regard soon.

The level of talent in that pipeline plus the Atlanta area crushes the entire Midwest. And then when you have a good run you can cast a national net for aspirational five star QBs and stuff like that and actually start to win some recruiting battles.

Anyone who thinks Iowa has even a snowball's chance in hell of putting this caliber of talent on the field across several key positions is insane. It is never ever ever going to happen. Our best hope is to catch lightning in a bottle one year and make a run behind some stud QB we had no business getting.
Beyond football, recruiting to the Midwest with the weather is a huge disadvantage. No oceans and cold weather is a bad recipe for top end recruits.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think Iowa could be playoff contenders in 1/2 of the years (not in the playoffs) given the money base. Once in, getting to the Championship a bit more than lightning in a bottle isn't so far off. It's not as unreasonable as expecting to be held to 7 points and 200 yards by an FCS Champion... is it? The odds can't be worse than TCU. Iowa's D and special teams are no worse than TCU's Offense. I do think (no way to prove) that Iowa exposed MSU's pass D and would have faired better if KF opened things up more on O.
I think the trick for Iowa is getting past tOSU, OR having an expanded playoff where that doesn't matter as much.

I think Iowa doesn't get into the playoffs more than once in every 20 years with 4 teams, and that might even be generous. If it's an expanded playoff, there is an opportunity to get there, maybe win a game, and then get crushed by Georgia.

I could be wrong but yes Iowa could be national championship contenders if our head coach believed it was possible and worth fighting for. Instead he has a mindset like many of the fans who say we’re just little old Iowa we could never compete with the big boys. As others have pointed out we’re 2/3rds of the way there. Our defense is one of the best in the country every year. Our special teams have been right there also. All we need is the right offensive coordinator and for Captain Kirk to hand him the keys to the offense to do his magic.
We do need the right offensive coordinator, which I do believe can happen. This potential coaching change may still happen.

Also, it's MUCH more than coaching, though. We need a lot more talent at skill positions to have a snowball's chance in hell against good SEC teams. Not only do we need a great QB, we need great WRs, which we've never really had. We also don't have the depth that the elite teams have.

I know we are all very proud of the 2 star that ends up being an all pro. That's part of why I love the hawkeyes. Having said that, recruiting top 5 nationally every year is very hard to compete with. Look at thsose teams (Georgia, Ala, OSU, sometimes Clemson), and it's clear that talent matters a lot.

the differences between Iowa and Geogia end with the W/L record under the previous coach. Their location and long therm outlook just can't be compared with Iowa. Did you mean flacid not placid?

Both words could work here. One of the definitions of placid is “showing lack of energy or concern”. That’s the one I was meaning. Or having a spirit of indifference. You know “Meh whatever”.

I know there is a strong interest on this board just by the way some follow recruiting and talk about it. At the same time this is an interesting situation. You would think if we were having really good seasons where we win our division an on occasion win the conference title game then of course it would make sense to follows recruiting. Future seasons would be determined by who we are bringing in each year. However, if you are looking at somewhat uneventful seven or eight win seasons year after year then what is the point? I guess some are just bored???

We could at least up the ante by scheduling a couple more formidable teams during the non-conference. Let’s schedule a Notre Dame, or a. Clemson once in a while. Of course we all know why we don’t. Five and six win seasons don’t sound so impressive and are not usually conducive to pay raises and contract extensions. Think about it, that is really pathetic and sad when you really think about it.

I mean if you’re never going to win a conference title then let’s play some big boys during the regular season. I really think the fans would enjoy it.

There are risk however. The risk is your program could get exposed on really how bad your are. The plus side is if you win those big games early on then it gets the type of headlines that grabs sports news, rankings, and most important RECRUITS attention.

Meanwhile, meh

Last edited:
I mean 02 yeah. Then the yr Stanzi got hurt we were in the conversation. But beyond that I'm less confident about including the 15 season with CJB. Felt like had we gotten in playoffs we'd have had our asses handed to us the way MSU did... Sustaining it at all is the trick even the good programs have. We obviously can't. We just hope to have the stars align for a great yr every so often and enjoy the shit out of it
That team was demolished by USC. The Hayden teams from’84 - 91 are the only ones that come close to competing in the upper echelon in our era.

We do need the right offensive coordinator, which I do believe can happen. This potential coaching change may still happen.

Also, it's MUCH more than coaching, though. We need a lot more talent at skill positions to have a snowball's chance in hell against good SEC teams. Not only do we need a great QB, we need great WRs, which we've never really had. We also don't have the depth that the elite teams have.

I know we are all very proud of the 2 star that ends up being an all pro. That's part of why I love the hawkeyes. Having said that, recruiting top 5 nationally every year is very hard to compete with. Look at thsose teams (Georgia, Ala, OSU, sometimes Clemson), and it's clear that talent matters a lot.
With Kirk at the proverbial end of his career, like has been for at least five years, it becomes nearly impossible to draw quality assistants due to the end coming. There is literally no stability in most programs as it us and great assistants want some assurance the coach is going to be there during their window

I think the trick for Iowa is getting past tOSU, OR having an expanded playoff where that doesn't matter as much.

I think Iowa doesn't get into the playoffs more than once in every 20 years with 4 teams, and that might even be generous. If it's an expanded playoff, there is an opportunity to get there, maybe win a game, and then get crushed by Georgia.
Getting in and getting crushed isn’t getting your team into elite status. See the stanford debacle from a few years ago. It just means you really shouldn’t be there and scheduled yourself to the party

Getting in and getting crushed isn’t getting your team into elite status. See the stanford debacle from a few years ago. It just means you really shouldn’t be there and scheduled yourself to the party
I know. That's why I've been saying we aren't, and likely won't be, elite. We agree.

Both words could work here. One of the definitions of placid is “showing lack of energy or concern”. That’s the one I was meaning. Or having a spirit of indifference. You know “Meh whatever”.

I know there is a strong interest on this board just by the way some follow recruiting and talk about it. At the same time this is an interesting situation. You would think if we were having really good seasons where we win our division an on occasion win the conference title game then of course it would make sense to follows recruiting. Future seasons would be determined by who we are bringing in each year. However, if you are looking at somewhat uneventful seven or eight win seasons year after year then what is the point? I guess some are just bored???

We could at least up the ante by scheduling a couple more formidable teams during the non-conference. Let’s schedule a Notre Dame, or a. Clemson once in a while. Of course we all know why we don’t. Five and six win seasons don’t sound so impressive and are not usually conducive to pay raises and contract extensions. Think about it, that is really pathetic and sad when you really think about it.

I mean if you’re never going to win a conference title then let’s play some big boys during the regular season. I really think the fans would enjoy it.

There are risk however. The risk is your program could get exposed on really how bad your are. The plus side is if you win those big games early on then it gets the type of headlines that grabs sports news, rankings, and most important RECRUITS attention.

Meanwhile, meh
You may want to look at Georgia’s none conf schedule for 2023. And, they miss Alabama and LSU in conf.

With Kirk at the proverbial end of his career, like has been for at least five years, it becomes nearly impossible to draw quality assistants due to the end coming. There is literally no stability in most programs as it us and great assistants want some assurance the coach is going to be there during their window
Still think we get a good OC soon. Dare to dream.

Ohio State should've beaten Georgia, btw. OSU is elite, and in our conference. The elephant, or buckeye, in the room is a big problem for "decent" teams from our conference. There just isn't much comparison. Michigan can sometimes beat OSU, and PSU might be able to as well. Those schools also recruit around top 10 nationally and have a national brand (and are close to a lot of population centers).

While beating a top tier SEC team would be delightful, the first question is how does a team like Iowa even get into the conversation by beating the likes of tOSU (and of course mich, psu).

A realistic goal for Iowa should be to win the B10.
It has now been 18 years since our last co-championship.
Not trying to be that guy, but with OSU's history and what their currently doing is winning the BIG10 any more achievable then making the playoffs? The way I see it we have to go through them either way. I guess I'm not thinking winning a share, but rather outright.

Beyond football, recruiting to the Midwest with the weather is a huge disadvantage. No oceans and cold weather is a bad recipe for top end recruits.
Not so sure. Seems nicer in the Midwest right now then it does in California. All jokes aside though you've got a definite point.

Not trying to be that guy, but with OSU's history and what their currently doing is winning the BIG10 any more achievable then making the playoffs? The way I see it we have to go through them either way. I guess I'm not thinking winning a share, but rather outright.
I agree with you. Those chances are going to be few and far between. The only conference championship that I could see would be if a) we will our division (and those will probably go away pretty soon) and b) it would have to be a year where everything was clicking, at least at the end of the season. And then play your best game of the year in the conference championship game.

IIRC, Wisconsin played Ohio State pretty close several years ago when they had one of their best seasons. It's going to have to be something like that.

I agree with you. Those chances are going to be few and far between. The only conference championship that I could see would be if a) we will our division (and those will probably go away pretty soon) and b) it would have to be a year where everything was clicking, at least at the end of the season. And then play your best game of the year in the conference championship game.

IIRC, Wisconsin played Ohio State pretty close several years ago when they had one of their best seasons. It's going to have to be something like that.

Was that the year Wisconsin had Russell Wilson and lost on last second plays at Sparty and at Ohio in back to back weeks? I guess if the only thing standing between us and a hypothetical Big Ten crown is the acquisition of a Pro Bowl caliber quarterback who is already coached up I really like our chances.

A realistic goal for Iowa should be to win the B10.
It has now been 18 years since our last co-championship.
No way in hell. Too much disparity in football today.

To win the Big Ten we have to go through OSU. Iowa would (flukily) beat OSU maybe one in 20 games at their current talent level and recruiting advantage. Iowa might win the West every ten years or so and then like I said you have to beat OSU which ain't gonna happen. Those stars will take more years to align than there are years left of football.

Once the divisions go away which will be soon, Iowa is at an even bigger disadvantage.

No way in hell. Too much disparity in football today.

To win the Big Ten we have to go through OSU. Iowa would (flukily) beat OSU maybe one in 20 games at their current talent level and recruiting advantage. Iowa might win the West every ten years or so and then like I said you have to beat OSU which ain't gonna happen. Those stars will take more years to align than there are years left of football.

Once the divisions go away which will be soon, Iowa is at an even bigger disadvantage.

Assuming an even distribution of championships Iowa would win one every 14 years. Soon to be 16. But there is not an even distribution of championships because Ohio, Michigan and Penn are far superior to the other programs in the conference. I am thankful that I was present when we clinched it in 2004 against Wisconsin because I am not certain that it will happen again in my lifetime and I'm only 45.

If that QB is good, next year may be our last realistic chance in the next two decades because the odds of us hitting on the right coach after Kurt retires are not good. Most programs can't follow up with the right hire after losing one great coach let alone two. And yes, idiots, Kurt is a great coach. If you think I'm lying look at the shitfests in places like Purdue, Illinois and Nebraska. That escalator down is real easy to hop aboard.

Assuming an even distribution of championships Iowa would win one every 14 years. Soon to be 16. But there is not an even distribution of championships because Ohio, Michigan and Penn are far superior to the other programs in the conference. I am thankful that I was present when we clinched it in 2004 against Wisconsin because I am not certain that it will happen again in my lifetime and I'm only 45.

If that QB is good, next year may be our last realistic chance in the next two decades because the odds of us hitting on the right coach after Kurt retires are not good. Most programs can't follow up with the right hire after losing one great coach let alone two. And yes, idiots, Kurt is a great coach. If you think I'm lying look at the shitfests in places like Purdue, Illinois and Nebraska. That escalator down is real easy to hop aboard.
What I think is hilarious is how people get mad about the Hawks not winning a conference title or contending for a playoff spot like they're the only ones.

There's about 8-10 teams who have a viable shot for the next decade and that leaves 120 some other teams in the dust. People should be happy Iowa does as well as it does. We are one bad hire away from being Illinois or Purdue for the next quarter century.