Watch: Patrick McCaffery, D.J. Carton Face Off at Sharp Shootout

This kid is really good, incredible leap from last year. Ate Patrick up. No way he isn't offered by N. Carolina, Kansas, or another blue blood. Looks like Fran saw the goods early again but no way he seals the deal. Fran ever thought about being a scout for someone. Oh, he already is for Kentucky and N. Carolina. What are the chances we land him? It's going down daily. Fran better have a backup plan not named Conner.

DJ was a much more polished player than Patrick in this game. PMac had a nice height advantage but he negated it by bringing the ball down instead of keeping it high when on the low block. This allowed shorter players to tie him up or knock the ball away. He has work to do his senior year. Wishing for DJ but it looks like a very long shot to sign him.

1st half breakdown:

1. PMac missed 12 footer on baseline
2. PMac made layup in transition
3. DJ called for foul in post
4. PMac blocked DJ's shot in post
5. PMac called for foul in post
6. DJ makes 2 free throws
7. DJ gets a steal
8. PMac turnover in post
9. DJ turnover during drive in lane
10. DJ overshot passing lane in attempt to steal leading to his guy shooting free throws
11. PMac got scored on in post
12. PMac made 3 at top of key
13. DJ scored layup on PMac
14. PMac missed 3pt at top of key
15. DJ gets assist with pass across court
16. DJ missed deep 3pt
17.DJ gets a rebound
18. DJ makes layup on PMAC
19. DJ turnover passing it directly to other team's player
20. PMac missed 13 footer
21. DJ made layup
22. DJ gets rebound
23. DJ makes a layup
24. DJ gets a steal midcourt and takes it for a dunk
25. PMac missed contested 4 footer
26. PMac blocks a shot in the post
27. DJ kicks it out for an assist
28. DJ lets player hit wide open 3 (looked a little tired)
29. DJ scores a layup on PMac again
30. PMac fouled on 6 footer and makes 2 free throws
31. PMac gets offensive foul (shoved defender obviously, but seemed upset about the call)
32. PMac gets rebound
33. PMac turns it over driving the lane
34. DJ ends up capturing the loose ball PMac turned over
35. DJ scores layup
36. PMac fouls DJ on drive to basket
37. DJ misses only free throw
38. DJ loses ball out of bounds off of PMac
39. DJ fouled PMac hard at the rim
40. PMac makes 2 free throws.

Haven't watched the 2nd half yet, but I'm still amazed that so many "Experts" thought PMac was a Top 30 recruit. DJ has really stepped up his game this spring/summer.

2nd half breakdown:

1. PMac makes layup and fouled (DJ let Pat go by him)
2. PMac makes his free throw
3. PMac get scored on in post
4. PMac missed 18 footer
5. DJ gets fouled on drive in lane
6. DJ missed 3pt
7. DJ turnover while driving lane
8. DJ missed very deep 3pt
9. DJ blocked PMac's shot at the rim
10. PMac missed bunny shot
11. DJ fouled PMac at rim
12. PMac makes 2 free throws
13. DJ makes layup
14. PMac missed 10 footer
15. DJ makes layup and fouled
16. DJ makes his free throw
17. PMac gets away with an obvious travel then makes a 4 footer.
18. PMac gets scored on a pull away jumper
19. PMac makes shot in post while fouled by DJ
20. PMac makes his free throw
21. PMac makes 17 footer
22. DJ makes a layup
23. PMace makes a 5 footer
24. PMac makes a 3pt
25. PMac gets scored on in the post
26. PMac blocks DJ's shot at the rim
27. PMac misses deep 3
28. PMac misses a layup
29. PMac misses a free throw
30. PMac gets called for a foul
31. PMac gets fouled in post
32. Makes both free throws
33. DJ misses a layup
34. PMac gets a rebound
35. PMac gets an assist
36. DJ gets fouled at midcourt
37. DJ misses a free throw
38. PMac missed 3pt at top of key

Last edited:
It's a poor angle, but this video shows why highlight films are basically worthless. One needs to see the whole court and how the player is across a whole game and in relationship to the court and teams.

PM has to have a major overhaul of his game to play the way he currently does. He brings the ball down too low. He dribbles too high and too much.

On the positive he is tall and has some athleticism. Lot's of potential.

If he was a graduating 17 yo senior I would be more positive. I do believe he is older. If he dad hasn't developed certain things in him now, how will that change?

At the risk of getting pummeled he does have a taller version Little Lick feel to him. John had great court awareness and actually some pretty good skills. He game wasn't complete for a number of reasons including size. PM has some good skills and some glaring missing skills. If he was a guard and like this, no way. Being a bigger guy changes things to some degree. There is some possibility. He can do some things Woodbury and other big guys can't. He can't do some things they can.

As freshmen, who would you take in 1 on 1. Cook or PM?

I watched Carton play Wieskamp as a Sophomore and he did little to stand out, I never would have guessed Bettendorf had a D1 player on the team let alone a consensus 5*. He's put a lot of work into his game, and as good as he is he clearly understands the game and plays under control which is rare for someone with that amount of talent.

As much potential as PM has it's not hard to see why he fell out of the top 30 and 247 now has him 78th. He runs well for someone 6'8 but he lacks strength to finish inside (even against HS kids) and when he penetrates he often just throws the ball up without displaying any sort of touch. He's going to have to live in the weight room and even then his 6'6 wingspan is going to limit PM from playing up to his 6'8 size.

I got blasted for saying Pmac wasn’t a top 30 kid a few months ago. I said to me I see him as a likely redshirt candidate, and I still do. I like his potential but he definitely has holes in his game.

I’d really like to know how he looks on his AAU team. It sounds like they have about 6 high major players. They had a kid just commit to UW ranked near 100, Tyrell Terry who we went after and committed to Stanford, another top 50 kid who is a badger lean, and a consensus top 10 kid who made the U18 Team USA team.

I know some people wanted to hear no part of the favoritism due to name thing, but I wonder what those other kids on his AAU squad think about him getting invites to the USA tryout and the Top 100 camp if they are indeed better players than him. Again I haven’t seen the team play to know this for fact, but my guess based on the videos I’ve seen is that all those guys are slightly better than Pmac as it stands today (Pmac has potential). Just food for thought.

Patrick's skills match up with a kid who went to UTEP and ended up on Illinois State and his first year there didn't get to play.. Real similar skills except that PM has some better dribbling and shooting. The other kid was better above the rm though PM isn't bad at all at it. The other kid is much more athletic, but you can't dismiss PM's ability to get up and down and above the rim. Passing about equal. The other kid was younger when he started. Iowa was recruiting this kid but took Pemsyl instead. I thought they took the wrong kid. Some of you don't believe it but Pem used to have an outside game and played more freely.

If FM recognizes PMs strengths and weakness PM will be OK as a senior or junior as a roll player. And if PM improves. However, if he hasn't improved under his dad yet....

If FM wants to make him a star and main player early.... end of the FM regime. Unfortunately we didn't get to see how FM would handle CM this past year.

This may be heresy to some, but I don't get all the accolades for Patrick. I've seen him play in person and on video. He's a nice player, don't get me wrong, but I don't leave thinking I've just watched one of the best players in the country. I hope I'm wrong about this, because he's going to be a Hawkeye. I haven't watched enough of Carton to form any opinion on him.

I got blasted for saying Pmac wasn’t a top 30 kid a few months ago. I said to me I see him as a likely redshirt candidate, and I still do. I like his potential but he definitely has holes in his game.

I’d really like to know how he looks on his AAU team. It sounds like they have about 6 high major players. They had a kid just commit to UW ranked near 100, Tyrell Terry who we went after and committed to Stanford, another top 50 kid who is a badger lean, and a consensus top 10 kid who made the U18 Team USA team.

I know some people wanted to hear no part of the favoritism due to name thing, but I wonder what those other kids on his AAU squad think about him getting invites to the USA tryout and the Top 100 camp if they are indeed better players than him. Again I haven’t seen the team play to know this for fact, but my guess based on the videos I’ve seen is that all those guys are slightly better than Pmac as it stands today (Pmac has potential). Just food for thought.

You got blasted because you don't know that- and you still don't. Either do the experts. It's not a perfect science and recruiting rankings are often times based on "potential" more then anything. He could pan out and be All American. He could end up being the next Seth Gorney. We don't know, but now you're acting like 1 bad tape solidifies your theory. I'm guessing you haven't watch all Top 100 recruits to say that others are feeling overlooked either. I'm not saying your wrong, and I think you're entitled to your opinion. Just that only time is gonna tell and you aren't suddenly "right" about Patrick. In fact, his sudden drop has come after committing to Iowa - which a case could be made that's hurt him as much as anything in the recruiting rankings vs him getting ranked highly because of who his dad is.

Patrick's skills match up with a kid who went to UTEP and ended up on Illinois State and his first year there didn't get to play.. Real similar skills except that PM has some better dribbling and shooting. The other kid was better above the rm though PM isn't bad at all at it. The other kid is much more athletic, but you can't dismiss PM's ability to get up and down and above the rim. Passing about equal. The other kid was younger when he started. Iowa was recruiting this kid but took Pemsyl instead. I thought they took the wrong kid. Some of you don't believe it but Pem used to have an outside game and played more freely.

If FM recognizes PMs strengths and weakness PM will be OK as a senior or junior as a roll player. And if PM improves. However, if he hasn't improved under his dad yet....

If FM wants to make him a star and main player early.... end of the FM regime. Unfortunately we didn't get to see how FM would handle CM this past year.

Does this kid have a name?

Does anyone have both of their final stats for the game?
One thing that really stood out to me is how bad Patrick's defense was and his inability to rebound for his height. His offense wasn't too bad though. His free throw shooting was stellar, obviously.

PMac:

Pts: 27
Rbd: 2
Assists: 1
Turnovers: 2
Steals: 0
Blocks: 3
Fouls: 4
FG: 5 for 13 (38.4%)
3PT: 2 for 5 (40%)
FT: 11 for 12 (91.6%)

DJ:

Pts: 23
Assists: 2
Turnovers: 3
Steals: 3
Blocks: 1
Fouls: 3
FG: 10 for 13 (76.9%) Literally all layups and one dunk.
3PT: 0 for 3
FT: 3 for 5 (60%)

Last edited:
You got blasted because you don't know that- and you still don't. Either do the experts. It's not a perfect science and recruiting rankings are often times based on "potential" more then anything. He could pan out and be All American. He could end up being the next Seth Gorney. We don't know, but now you're acting like 1 bad tape solidifies your theory. I'm guessing you haven't watch all Top 100 recruits to say that others are feeling overlooked either. I'm not saying your wrong, and I think you're entitled to your opinion. Just that only time is gonna tell and you aren't suddenly "right" about Patrick. In fact, his sudden drop has come after committing to Iowa - which a case could be made that's hurt him as much as anything in the recruiting rankings vs him getting ranked highly because of who his dad is.
Funny how that works. At the time I didn’t know anything because I wasn’t an expert who got paid to do this like the scouting services. Now that the scouting services more align with my thoughts apparently nobody knows. (That may not have been your argument but was what I was getting at the time).

I think Pat can be a solid P5 player, I just think he has a way to go. At the end of the day I’m glad he got invited to these camps and had the chance to compete against these top players, regardless of if he really deserved it or not.

Funny how that works. At the time I didn’t know anything because I wasn’t an expert who got paid to do this like the scouting services. Now that the scouting services more align with my thoughts apparently nobody knows. (That may not have been your argument but was what I was getting at the time).

I think Pat can be a solid P5 player, I just think he has a way to go. At the end of the day I’m glad he got invited to these camps and had the chance to compete against these top players, regardless of if he really deserved it or not.

My argument at that time was you don't know. And it's still my argument. So, nothing has changed in that regards. (it was me that put ya on some blast, but it wasn't malicious) That is NOT focused at JUST you, it would be to anyone who tries to sound like they can predict the future of a kid that age. You haven't watched all the kids to be able to say that definitively. As far as I can see 247 still has him at 46 and Rivals at 34. ESPN at 50. You're entitled to your opinion and I appreciate that you share it. But with those current ranking #'s - (all within 20 or fewer spots of top 30), I don't know that you should soap box on being "right". If he doesn't pan out to be good, we'll know you were right in line. But, again, maybe he's dropped back to the pack because he committed to Iowa like Connor did. Maybe that worked against him. Just as plausible at the "he's only ranked that high because his dad is White Magic" -

My argument at that time was you don't know. And it's still my argument. So, nothing has changed in that regards. (it was me that put ya on some blast, but it wasn't malicious) That is NOT focused at JUST you, it would be to anyone who tries to sound like they can predict the future of a kid that age. You haven't watched all the kids to be able to say that definitively. As far as I can see 247 still has him at 46 and Rivals at 34. ESPN at 50. You're entitled to your opinion and I appreciate that you share it. But with those current ranking #'s - (all within 20 or fewer spots of top 30), I don't know that you should soap box on being "right". If he doesn't pan out to be good, we'll know you were right in line. But, again, maybe he's dropped back to the pack because he committed to Iowa like Connor did. Maybe that worked against him. Just as plausible at the "he's only ranked that high because his dad is White Magic" -

Great points. Just think about Marble, White and Uthoff. All three of them weren't considered top prospects, but they improved their games each year while at Iowa and each of them had outstanding Jr and Sr. years. If Patrick takes the same development arch, he is already starting off with a better "toolbox" than those guys, he could be an great college player.

This isn't saying this is some sure thing, but you can see the talent he has, he has to develop strength, work on his jumper, but he has ball handling skills for his size that is impressive, he passes well, and he can score as well. I think it is way, way, way to premature to say Patrick is or isn't over rated.

Thanks, tksirius. 2 rebounds!? Yeah, that's pretty sad for a player of his height. I'm hoping he can gain some muscle and work on improving some of his areas of weakness.

One thing that really stood out to me is how bad Patrick's defense was and his inability to rebound for his height. His offense wasn't too bad though. His free throw shooting was stellar, obviously.

PMac:

Pts: 27
Assists: 1
Turnovers: 2
Steals: 0
Blocks: 3
Fouls: 4
FG: 5 for 13 (38.4%)
3PT: 2 for 5 (40%)
FT: 11 for 12 (91.6%)

DJ:

Pts: 23
Assists: 2
Turnovers: 3
Steals: 3
Blocks: 1
Fouls: 3
FG: 10 for 13 (76.9%) Literally all layups and one dunk.
3PT: 0 for 3
FT: 3 for 5 (60%)

Latest posts