VIDEO: Big Ten Pulse Segment from Last Night

Well you brought up the topic...my only question is who should be banned from video or TV... Adam Rittenberg or Jon Miller.

Only having fun and I think that Jon could post up Adam and score at will.

Good job controlling the discussion and have fun with it.

Well you brought up the topic...my only question is who should be banned from video or TV... Adam Rittenberg or Jon Miller.

Only having fun and I think that Jon could post up Adam and score at will.

Good job controlling the discussion and have fun with it.

If this could have only happened 5 years ago when I still had most of my hair ;)

Man Jon you are almost as bad as Game Day Ron plugging his over 3,600 items.

Good point..I may need to ban myself later today...but then again, I will be in Iowa City for Hawkapalooza...be sure to stop by ;)

At least my plugs are for free things ;)

- "A rivalry is born from winning and losing games. I don't care about some river in Iowa"
- "They have played 30 some times."
- Boom goes the dynamite, end of segment

Jon,
Kudo's to you my friend. You are a perfect fit for that show. Your delivery is spot on. Fantastic job!!!! Congrats on securing this gig.

Caught most of the Pulse on the Special last night, great job Jon, I can already tell that LeCharles is an OSU guy........... and has no respect for us.

Jon

Enjoyed first show and look forward too rest of the season get rid of the buzzer everyone is doing it.

Technically, Jon's partner (was it LeCharles Bentley) is right. However, there is already an extreme dislike from our fan base towards their program. I don't know that we can say the same about them towards us, since for the most part they haven't viewed us as at their level, whether we like that or not.

I think there is a rivalry there already. After all, Louisville and Kentucky didn't play in hoops for a LONG time. That doesn't mean there wasn't a at least a simmering rivalry.

I will be watching it EVERY Thursday. Good stuff Jon. Steave Deace was excited for Jon, as well as myself. Deacer said he was happy to see a long time friend on National TV. Pretty cool if you ask me.

I am sure it is posted somewhere but I don't see it. What night and what time is the show on? And is it weekly?

I agree, LeCharles is technically correct. There is great potential for a rivalry, but, it won't be a rivalry until Iowa beats Nebraska a few times and prove they can compete. Factor in that it is the last game of the conference season, bowl implications, etc. and it could quickly become a rivalry.

Jon, I enjoyed the show. Good job!

Technically, Jon's partner (was it LeCharles Bentley) is right. However, there is already an extreme dislike from our fan base towards their program. I don't know that we can say the same about them towards us, since for the most part they haven't viewed us as at their level, whether we like that or not.

I think there is a rivalry there already. After all, Louisville and Kentucky didn't play in hoops for a LONG time. That doesn't mean there wasn't a at least a simmering rivalry.

I agree with LeCharles on the rivalry thing. We have an opportunity to have a great rivalry here, but it isn't there yet.

Nebby has owned us over the years.

Kind of like ISU. It didn't become a rivalry until they started beating us. We will need to take Nebby to the woodshed a couple of times and there will have to be something on the line for both teams to really get this ramped up.

Actually, both Jon and LeCharles are technically correct, as I think there is several types of different rivalries that form for a myriad of different reasons. Frankly, though, I think the Iowa and Nebraska rivalry is so obvious that you almost intentionally have to adopt an ignorant stance to argue against it.

For people in Western and Central Iowa, I bet the Nebraska rivalry will be intense from day one. At the moment I think most people in Eastern Iowa probably just think it's cool that we get to play Nebraska the every year. This is the definition of a geographic rivalry, because people will care more based on their proximity.

On the other hand, Iowa and Penn State couldn't be more far apart, but they have been developing a rivalry the past 10 years for two reasons.

1. Penn State fans feel entitled to success and a natural sense of superiority to Iowa's program.

2. Despite this, Iowa has ruined their season several years running.

This is a rivalry that evolved based on the character of the fan bases (two rabid Internet message board bases) and competitive results on the field.

There are also other rivalries that are born from two schools just not liking each other for other reasons, such as cultural differences. See Notre Dame and basically everyone they play.

I think really storied rivalries develop out of multiple different elements between rivals. For example, the Ohio State and Michigan rivalry is so intense because it combines geographic rivalry with years upon years of competitive heartbreak. I think for the same reason Iowa and Nebraska, if competitive, has the potential to go from merely a geographic rivalry to a great rivalry.

Last edited:
Jon -

I was nervous for you. After watching the clip, I see that was wasted energy. You're a natural, and should be excited for what's to come. You deserve it. Live in the moment!

As for the in thread debate, I'd offer rivalries are born from a combination of many criteria: competitive balance, geographic location, fan base participation, even style of play comparison. The more criteria in play, the more heated the rivalry.

I think this bodes well for what's to come with Iowa and Nebraska.

Thought you did a very nice job last night. Great to see someone with Hawkeye blood able to defend our position...and correct incorrect opinions.

The whole tie-breaker thing played out strangely on the show. You and LeCharles basically said, dont worry about that level of detail yet...then the next segment went into defining the tie-breaker. Got the sense that the power of editing made the 2 segments work awkwardly.

Latest posts