VIDEO: Big Ten Pulse Segment from Last Night

I'm sorry but I call complete BS on the majority of you and on LeCharles... there is a rivalry there and it IS natural. LeCharles is a typical arrogant Buckeye that think they know how the world goes round. Here's the reality.

- These schools have played something like 30-40 times in history.
- These states share a border and the campuses are only hours apart.
- The two fanbases don't seem to like each other very much and continually make jokes and comments about the other.
- The Hawkeyes used to be known as the Cornhuskers. I'd known about this and Googled it... finding this on none other than Huskers.com:

After its first losing season in a decade, it must have seemed only fitting that Nebraska move in a new direction, and Lincoln sportswriter Charles S. (Cy) Sherman, who was to gain national renown as the sports editor of the Lincoln Star and help originate The Associated Press Poll, provided the nickname that has gained fame for a century. Sherman tired of referring to the Nebraska teams with such an unglamorous term as Bugeaters. Iowa had, from time to time, been called the Cornhuskers, and the name appealed to Sherman.

Iowa partisans seemed to prefer Hawkeyes, so Sherman started referring to the Nebraska team as Cornhuskers, and the 1900 team was first to bear that label.

- I won't say they stole our name (I'm glad we took Hawkeyes) but they effectively co-opted it at the turn of the century.

Folks there are 100+ years of history simmering between these schools, and it has played itself out frequently through the years. It's a rivalry... maybe a simmering one at the moment but it's already there.

And it's about to get better thanks to NE joining a real conference and last nights alignment announcement.

That's all.

Jon -

Are you going to be MC'ing at 3 Bag anyomre? about 3-4 years ago you were there, and I went up and got your autograph on my napkin. Unfortunately the glass case it was in broke, and my dog chewed it up. Now that you're going to be famous, I was hoping I could get something else autographed. I don't want to come across as weird, but it would sure mean a lot to me.

Anybody else think Jon looked and sounded a little like Dan Patrick?

LOL, now that is funny!

I thought he did fine and the show has potential.

HOWEVER, a number of posters in this thread and the other I hope were wearing knee pads when they posted because otherwise they are going to have some serious rug burn and a sore neck.

I'm sorry but I call complete BS on the majority of you and on LeCharles... there is a rivalry there and it IS natural. LeCharles is a typical arrogant Buckeye that think they know how the world goes round. Here's the reality.

- These schools have played something like 30-40 times in history.
- These states share a border and the campuses are only hours apart.
- The two fanbases don't seem to like each other very much and continually make jokes and comments about the other.
- The Hawkeyes used to be known as the Cornhuskers. I'd known about this and Googled it... finding this on none other than Huskers.com:

After its first losing season in a decade, it must have seemed only fitting that Nebraska move in a new direction, and Lincoln sportswriter Charles S. (Cy) Sherman, who was to gain national renown as the sports editor of the Lincoln Star and help originate The Associated Press Poll, provided the nickname that has gained fame for a century. Sherman tired of referring to the Nebraska teams with such an unglamorous term as Bugeaters. Iowa had, from time to time, been called the Cornhuskers, and the name appealed to Sherman.

Iowa partisans seemed to prefer Hawkeyes, so Sherman started referring to the Nebraska team as Cornhuskers, and the 1900 team was first to bear that label.

- I won't say they stole our name (I'm glad we took Hawkeyes) but they effectively co-opted it at the turn of the century.

Folks there are 100+ years of history simmering between these schools, and it has played itself out frequently through the years. It's a rivalry... maybe a simmering one at the moment but it's already there.

And it's about to get better thanks to NE joining a real conference and last nights alignment announcement.

That's all.

As I said, it will happen if we get some wins. If not, we might as well be the Clones.

Face it, they have been playing a team from Iowa that is closer to them than the University of Iowa for a decade. They didn't think it was a rivalry.

Did you forget that?

Now, there is a better chance that we will be competetive enough for it to be a rivalry, but the last couple of times we played we got destroyed. People weren't jacked up for those games, it was like Nebby was getting an easy win playing their little neighbor. Believe me. I was there. They weren't like OMG we beat Iowa! We won the great rivalry contest!

As I said, it will happen if we get some wins. If not, we might as well be the Clones.

Face it, they have been playing a team from Iowa that is closer to them than the University of Iowa for a decade. They didn't think it was a rivalry.

Did you forget that?

Now, there is a better chance that we will be competetive enough for it to be a rivalry, but the last couple of times we played we got destroyed. People weren't jacked up for those games, it was like Nebby was getting an easy win playing their little neighbor. Believe me. I was there. They weren't like OMG we beat Iowa! We won the great rivalry contest!

You have to take into consideration that those were two of the worst years for the entire Hawkeye Football program over the last 30 years. Iowa was waaay down at that time and Nebby was still considered a national powerhouse.

I agree though that if the rivalry is going to get full steam it would help a lot if we win a few of the first games.

mi·nu·ti·a

   /mɪˈnu
thinsp.png
ʃi
thinsp.png
ə,
-ʃə, -ˈnyu-/ Show Spelled[mi-noo-shee-uh, -shuh, -nyoo-] Show IPA
–noun, plural -ti·ae  /-ʃiˌi/ Show Spelled[-shee-ee] Show IPA. Usually, minutiae. precise details; small or trifling matters: the minutiae of his craft.
;)

Jon you did great but man LeCharles was BAD. I mean not bad in like I don't agree with his opinions etc but bad in he felt no need to not slouch in his chair, act cool and say we don't need to talk about this now - what the heck you're on a talk show! Look at Deace, I may not always agree with him but he knows his stuff and backs up his statements with facts. This lecharges guy has gotta go to save this show for you.

Just my 2 cents...

:)

Jon you did great but man LeCharles was BAD. I mean not bad in like I don't agree with his opinions etc but bad in he felt no need to not slouch in his chair, act cool and say we don't need to talk about this now - what the heck you're on a talk show! Look at Deace, I may not always agree with him but he knows his stuff and backs up his statements with facts. This lecharges guy has gotta go to save this show for you.

Just my 2 cents...

:)

maybe the mediacom show will jump over to the b10n.......the pulse with Miller and Deace....i'd like to see it.

Latest posts